Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Consoles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Blowfish wrote: »
    Which again is the point he is making. Handheld/smartphone's are already pulling the 'casual' gamers away from consoles. They also eventually will provide equal or better gaming experience, it's just a matter of time.
    EDIT... kinda contradictory... it might be a matter of time.. i really don't know.. all i know is mobile tech has still a long way to go before it'll be on par with NEXT gen console / Current PC tech.

You also have to take into consideration that smartphones are not universial.. developers already have huge problems trying to optimize for just 2 or 3 different platforms. The reason angry birds is so popular (Besides being free) is because its simple, great for eating time while traveling.. and most phones can run it without dying after an hours playtime (My phone lasts all of about an hour and a half when playing something like infinity blade).

The most important thing you keep forgeting.. is that console sales haven't gone down at all because of smartphones. And lets not kid ourselves... the standard of game available on smartphones is still very poor and casual compared to even PS2 games.. with couple of exceptions.

Also.. im talking about the immediate future only (Next gen will be just as successful as this generation of consoles)... in 10/15 years.. who knows what kind of tech will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Magill wrote: »
    But they wont... this IS the point your missing.. unless you are able to plug your phone into the TV... add a couple of proper controllers and beable to play at 1080p and having it play as well as next gen tech (Lets not forget that console tech is about to get a massive jump that'll push it even further out of range of phones).
    Have you read the rest of the thread? It's already possible to do this.
    Magill wrote:
    You also have to take into consideration that smartphones are not universial.. developers already have huge problems trying to optimize for just 2 or 3 different platforms. The reason angry birds is so popular (Besides being free) is because its simple, great for eating time while traveling.. and most phones can run it without dying after an hours playtime (My phone lasts all of about an hour and a half when playing something like infinity blade).
    They on't need universal hardware, just a universal app.
    Magill wrote:
    The most important thing you keep forgeting.. is that console sales haven't gone down at all because of smartphones. And lets not kid ourselves... the standard of game available on smartphones is still very poor and casual compared to even PS2 games.. with couple of exceptions.
    These are all of poor standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If BF3 was released on OnLive, pretty much any of them could.

Mobiles/Tablets can already stream to TV. They can also power bluetooth controllers. They can also run OnLive. Put these together and you get a 'proper' gaming setup.

This.

People are looking at this the wrong way around. Smart phones, tablets etc aren't going to be the death of consoles, services like OnLive are going to be what eventually kills off consoles (and what people consider a PC aswell).

VCR killed the cinema, DVD killed the VCR, Streaming is killing Bluray before it can even kill off DVD. In reality though the only thing that has changed is the medium the film industry has used to get it's product to you, so although the medium has changed the product is still the same.

The platform developers are using is going to change away from consoles. With Services like OnLive being hardware independent it has major advantages to both the consumer and the Developers and this is what is going to change the market.

These are all of poor standard?

Compared to their console counterparts ? Yes ? Graphically they look like PS2 games and gameplay wise.. they're much worse than PS2 games. Batman is basically the same as infinite blade (More like a rythm game than an actual action game).

I'd personally rather play angry birds than those games.

Compared to their console counterparts ? Yes ? Graphically they look like PS2 games and gameplay wise.. they're much worse than PS2 games. Batman is basically the same as infinite blade (More like a rythm game than an actual action game).
    The OnLive versions are the exact same versions that the Consoles have.

• Advertisement

The OnLive versions are the exact same versions that the Consoles have.

huh ? I was talking about smartphones.... where did i mention onlive lol.

Smartphones can run OnLive. In other words they can run the exact same games as Consoles can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Smartphones can run OnLive. In other words they can run the exact same games as Consoles can.

Without the majority of controls to play them properly. That's another reason the console will never be replaced, unless we're all happy to play games with all the complexity of frogger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

They on't need universal hardware, just a universal app.

an app will not optimise games for different hardware if they could pc games wouldnt have as many problems on launch as it does phones are worse
    than pc for hardware variations

Hardly the same thing tho is it.. your smartphone is just a reciever.. developers aren't developing these games for smartphones they're developing them for high end computers. In otherwords... smartphones aren't replacing the console.. Onlive is. You also lose the only real benifit that a smartphone has over consoles.. mobility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

DarkJager wrote: »
    Without the majority of controls to play them properly. That's another reason the console will never be replaced, unless we're all happy to play games with all the complexity of frogger?

I have an experia play phone, so would have a decent enough controller inbuilt in my phone. Also there are also phones and tablets that come with laptop shells , or you could just use a bluetooth controller
    NTMK wrote: »
    an app will not optimise games for different hardware if they could pc games wouldnt have as many problems on launch as it does phones are worse
    than pc for hardware variations

that app doesn't have to be optimised for different hardware though as it is basically just a remote desktop session to the online servers who would have already done the hardware optimisation on their end

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Funny enough... If we are talking something like onlive to replace our good old fashion consoles, thn let's look at situation from different angle:
    Onlive is a streaming service, so it has to stream it of something right? Console maybe?! Damn...

Food for though? So maybe pc gaming will be the only gaming option in near future who ever wants to shoot bullets at humanoid enemies in video games instead of using a slingshot to shoot birds at green pigs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Ever think there be situation were tvs will have power pc hardware you be able to play pc games off your tv alone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ever think there be situation were tvs will have power pc hardware you be able to play pc games off your tv alone ?

ever thought if TVs will have current spec of hardware of PC, how advanced PC will get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ever thought if TVs will have current spec of hardware of PC, how advanced PC will get?

Touche :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Closest thing to this at the moment is the all in one touchscreen PC's, but they aren't exactly powerhouses in terms of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

DarkJager wrote: »

You can get a controller from OnLive that should be compatible with any device that runs it, including phones and tablets. Or else just use a compatible bluetooth controller I imagine. The Xperia Play's controls can be used too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

On consoles, people (me) generally play the online multiplayer maps forgetting the campaigns..

So if you're online already anyway, why have the game in your console when you could pay per play from a server?

Consoles are going the way of the dodo, along with photo albums, libraries, cd pouches etc..

everything will be online, it's only a matter of them getting their profits from us buying every staged release till we get there*

*see digital camera pixilage/cpu speed increment releases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Squ wrote: »
    On consoles, people (me) generally play the online multiplayer maps forgetting the campaigns..

I don't think that's true for the majority, especially people who play many games. I have around 60 games for PS3 and Xbox 360 and only 6 or 7 of them would I have played on-line for more than 10 hours, whereas around half of them I have never played on-line at all.

sink wrote: »
    I don't think that's true for the majority, especially people who play many games. I have around 60 games for PS3 and Xbox 360 and only 6 or 7 of them would I have played on-line for more than 10 hours, whereas around half of them I have never played on-line at all.
    But the fact that you play some online means you have the ability to play all online if the tech was up to it..

Online does not mean multiplayer per say.

Just a matter of getting people to buy net enabled tellys, broadband etc..

Everything will be in the cloud, where it can be studied so they can aim the correct advertisments at you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

But the fact that you play some online means you have the ability to play all online if the tech was up to it..

Everything will be in the cloud, where it can be studied so they can aim the correct advertisments at you.

This is a huge problem
    The broadband infrastructure is nowhere near good enough anywhere (including the US) that matters to devs and is a long way off from being adequate availability is far from 100%
    DL caps are too low

If the xbox went online only tomorrow MS would lose 20-40% of their install base based on online GT numbers

There is not a hope devs would want this

when onlive or any game stream service achieve a noticeable install base ill take notice until then BB infrastructure is too poor to support this and DD only home gaming as a mainstream is at least 2 generations away imo

NTMK wrote: »

This is a huge problem
    The broadband infrastructure is nowhere near good enough anywhere (including the US) that matters to devs and is a long way off from being adequate availability is far from 100%
    DL caps are too low

If the xbox went online only tomorrow MS would lose 20-40% of their install base based on online GT numbers

There is not a hope devs would want this

when onlive or any game stream service achieve a noticeable install base ill take notice until then BB infrastructure is too poor to support this and DD only home gaming as a mainstream is at least 2 generations away imo
    I 100% agree. But the tech exists now for quality broadband, but they bleed it out to us over the years so we'll buy it up in increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't see mobile gaming ever really replacing consoles. How many people get drunk and lose their phone every week? Can you imagine what you'd be losing if it's all your game data as well? Even if you'd only have to download the games again on your new phone that will be a pain.

I don't think cloud salves and streaming content ala Onlive is necessarily the answer either.

It's true that single-function pieces of hardware probably are on the way out. We see that already - my PS3 must be on six hours a day and probably a third of that time it'll be running games. It's an entire home entertainment unit. All that it needs is to have the display built into it and I'm sure a couple of smart bods at Sony are working on that as we speak.

Advertisement