Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL comparative???

• 13-03-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

How much would you normally write for the a)30mark b)40 mark questions. and how much if you decide to do the 70mark question?

I can write the essays but when I do the essay sometimes I feel as if I'm writing too much for part a) question. I end up writing 2/3 pages then a further 3/4 for the b)40marks question comparing the two texts. Is the 70 mark question easier?. But then on the day I won't have as much time and might not work out to be that long with writing the Hamlet and poetry essay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I write as much as I can think of but I think a should be 1.5 and b should be 2.5ish :) 70 markers should be 5ish pages but the a/b seems to vary less, theyre often the easier option. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

How much would you normally write for the a)30mark b)40 mark questions. and how much if you decide to do the 70mark question?

I did this Option in the Mock and did 3 pages for A) and a little over 4 pages for B)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

In the mock I only wrote 4 pages for the 70 mark question and got 67/70.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't know the 70marks question could be easier in some ways if you remember most of the notes and write a good bit. I tend to end up write too much sometimes and forget thats it has less marks. I'm only studying for Theme or General Vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

leaveiton wrote: »
    In the mock I only wrote 4 pages for the 70 mark question and got 67/70.
    I wrote like 7 for the Mock on LG and ended up getting 60/70. Our examiner was as scabby like! And it was all good stuff! Ah well, better off getting lower now than in June!

• Advertisement

In some ways I think the 70mark would be easier if you can remember all the notes and that and can compare and contrast the three well. I might practise both and see which I do better in. I feel as if I write to little and leave things out in the a) b) parts in order to not go overboard.
    I haven't done a mock either my college doesn't do mocks as it's repeat lc they assume everyones sat the paper before. I might try and time myself as I did ordinary last year, but I'm fine with the honours it's just the timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Jesus, the comparative is such a balls... Dancing at Lughnasa is one of the most boring things ye could possibly study for it. My english teacher gave me a lend of some books that were choices for it too this year and they were really good, but no, Dancing at Lughnasa and Constant Gardener (a film, making it doubly hard to study) >_> We're doing Great Gatsby though, that's something to be happy about. Great book. Overall I reckon comparative is defs going to be my weak point in the exam, just gotta work at it I suppose. Got any sample essays by any chance? :)

Jesus, the comparative is such a balls... Dancing at Lughnasa is one of the most boring things ye could possibly study for it. My english teacher gave me a lend of some books that were choices for it too this year and they were really good, but no, Dancing at Lughnasa and Constant Gardener (a film, making it doubly hard to study) >_> We're doing Great Gatsby though, that's something to be happy about. Great book. Overall I reckon comparative is defs going to be my weak point in the exam, just gotta work at it I suppose. Got any sample essays by any chance? :)

The Dancing at Lughnasa is quite easy to remember though . I picked up two new comparatives. The Inside I'm Dancing and the Dancing At Lughnasa. I had done Il Postino (not on the course this year) and The Story of Lucy Gault. I liked that novel I hadn't studied it in the higher level terms I could still go over than myself if I wanted to now that I fully understand it. Then the How Many Miles to Babylon I know this novel so well now.
    We should just practise all of the comparative questions in the modes you're doing that have ever come up and get the teacher to correct it. I'm planning on doing that. I have to go back to Hamlet soon I'm not very prepared for that yet . The independent on thurs usually has good revision guides the english are quite helpful if you can get your hands on any of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

The Dancing at Lughnasa is quite easy to remember though . I picked up two new comparatives. The Inside I'm Dancing and the Dancing At Lughnasa. I had done Il Postino (not on the course this year) and The Story of Lucy Gault. I liked that novel I hadn't studied it in the higher level terms I could still go over than myself if I wanted to now that I fully understand it. Then the How Many Miles to Babylon I know this novel so well now.
    We should just practise all of the comparative questions in the modes you're doing that have ever come up and get the teacher to correct it. I'm planning on doing that. I have to go back to Hamlet soon I'm not very prepared for that yet . The independent on thurs usually has good revision guides the english are quite helpful if you can get your hands on any of those.

Right enough yeah, it is nice and simple to remember like! Aye that's a good idea, might ask my teacher if she'll correct my stuff for me. Thanks for the tips. :)

Right enough yeah, it is nice and simple to remember like! Aye that's a good idea, might ask my teacher if she'll correct my stuff for me. Thanks for the tips. :)

Yeah just think of it like that it may be boring but it's easy to compare/contrast no point making it difficult rather then learning a harder comparative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

wrote 2.5 pages for the 30 mark question, got 22/30. wrote 2.5 pages for the 40 marker and got 30/40:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I wrote like 7 for the Mock on LG and ended up getting 60/70. Our examiner was as scabby like! And it was all good stuff! Ah well, better off getting lower now than in June!

I know the examiner that marked ours took marks off people if they wrote too much that wasn't relevant. She wrote a letter to our teacher with guidelines for what to do. I can't remember the exact length she said for the comparative, but it was something like 5 or so pages is enough. She corrects the Leaving Cert, so she knows her stuff. Though if you're used to writing 7 or so pages and getting all the marks then I'm sure you'd be grand. 60/70 is still a brilliant result, so I wouldn't really complain :p

Advertisement