Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog died from poisoning.

• 13-03-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Someone I know's dog died through poisoning. Someone told me that some farmers coming into the lamb season put down poison in order to warn off any dogs that might attack the lambs. Have they a right by law to do this to trespassing dogs on their land? Because I know in America such a thing is unheard of.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the dog was a good guard dog it might have been thieves. Tell the owner to keep an eye on things.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Someone I know's dog died through poisoning. Someone told me that some farmers coming into the lamb season put down poison in order to warn off any dogs that might attack the lambs. Have they a right by law to do this to trespassing dogs on their land? Because I know in America such a thing is unheard of.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The use of poison meat baits is now illegal - in fact all poison bait is now illegal except for covered rodent bait. Farmers are allowed to shoot dogs on their land which is legal and that is the best way to deal with the problem of stray dogs.

PS: I think your jumping to conclusions a bit quick as regards to what happened your friends dog and possiblly this thread would be more suiteable in the Animal and Pets forum as there are similiar threads there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

don't go blaming the farmers just yet, i know of poison bait being put out for foxs/grey crows by some rogue elements from a hunting crowd a few years ago. (it was a member of the local hunting club who told me, who in all fairness was raging over it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Careful making accusations In rl. Farmer near me was accused of poisoning a dog (doubt it, he's had no qualms with shooting them before so its not form for him to poison). Ended up being a lot of bad blood beteen the families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nevore wrote: »
    Careful making accusations In rl. Farmer near me was accused of poisoning a dog (doubt it, he's had no qualms with shooting them before so its not form for him to poison). Ended up being a lot of bad blood beteen the families.

Good point - that is why I don't think this thread is suiteable here given that it refers to illegal activity that probably has nothing to do with farming/farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

[ After some discussions we are going to undelete this thread. Perhaps the thread gives us an opportunity for a little bit of education. I think Birdnuts has answered the question for the OP. However, to prevent this thread spirling out of control we will lock the threas. if someone has something constructive to add to the thread, please pm me.

With the expressly stated exception of "the use of rodenticides within buildings", the laying of poisoned bait has been illegal since 4 October 2010.
    Here's the S.I.:
    S.I. No. 481/2010 — European Communities (Birds and Natural Habitats)(Restrictions on use of Poisoned Bait) Regulations 2010. ]

There are indeed circumstances where it is legal and rightly so to shoot a dog`. But as farmers, we are not a trigger happy lot.
    Here's a link to the Control of Dogs Act 1986, Sec 23, which outlines the circumstances

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/...023.html#sec23

Reilig

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement