Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg: Mobile Market Share: Q4 2011

Options
  • 13-03-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

ComReg have published their Q4 2011 report.

Good news for 3. They have grown by about 20% year on year, taken 1.1% extra market share and now have 7.7% market share.

Good news for Tesco Mobile. They now have 2.6% share. There is no data for Q4 2010 for Tesco Mobile.

Very bad new for O2. They have lost a significant amount of market share. Their tariffs surely have something to do with that.

Bad news for Eircom. Meteor and eMobile are loosing customers.

Market share including HSPDA:
    • O2: lost 3.1% share year on year. Now 29.5% market share.
    • 3: Gained 1.1% share year on year. Now 7.7% market share.
    • Vodafone: Lost 0.1% share year on year. Now 40.5% market share.
    • Meteor/eMobile: Lost 0.5% share year on year. Now 19.7% market share
    • Tesco Mobile: Gained 0.5% share quarter on quarter. Now 2.6% market share.

The market share stats are handy when considering the value of free one network to one network calls/texts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

O2 will keep losing customers as their plans are very poor compared to Tesco and 3. They have great coverage but as long as they keep their plans as they are people will leave in search of better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

O2 seem to rely on customer inertia and business users who weren't shopping around.

Their plans are really expensive!

I think maybe Eircom's attempt to operate two mobile brands is actually backfiring.

I really don't understand what they're up to. Why not just put the emobile plans on Meteor, ditch the MVNO entirely, and call it Meteor, from Eircom?

I find Meteor's advertising is now way too young and E-mobile's way too old and patronising!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Meteors core demographic is the one most likely to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What still amazes me is that it wasn't long ago that the O2 network was the best value around (in my mind). And now they seem to be the only network in Ireland doing bad.
    Average revenue per user (ARPU) for all the networks has been dropping and while every network has multiple bill pay price plans (Contract or sim only) the same as or below the ARPU, O2 have only 2 plans on sim only for less then 30 and no plans on contract for 30 euro or less. That to me is a prime example of the insanity in which they are running the company.

196522.png
    SOURCE: http://www.comstat.ie/

Here we have evidence as clear as daylight that people are spending less and yet O2 are still living in the pre recession era. Anyway I'll go ahead and predict that they'll continue to loose customers at a consistent rate over the next year too if they dont sort out their prices. And dont even mention the "generous" data allowances!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Here we have evidence as clear as daylight that people are spending less and yet O2 are still living in the pre recession era. Anyway I'll go ahead and predict that they'll continue to loose customers at a consistent rate over the next year too if they dont sort out their prices. And dont even mention the "generous" data allowances!!

But 150 MB is "plenty of data" !! :D

Totally agreed about the comments about O2. I think Telefonica Ireland management have a preoccupation with ARPU and have removed focus on market share and having a value proposition. They have also been heavily constrained by the data congestion that Telefonica Ireland is suffering.

Having said that, like it or not, 48 seems to be off to a good start for Telefonica. I'm told that a fair amount of porting to 48 is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The is until the special offers end and the hourly charges (from may) for data on 48months kick in. Once tesco get access to full O2 data speeds (rumoured to be late summer) then you might see them grow their base more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I have mo sympathy for O2 and I'm delighted people are beginning to move when they're not getting value. Although I thought a lot more people would of moved. O2's data offerings are pathetic and I hate the way they try to justify them.

It's sad though because as I see it they have the best mobile brand in the country. They had the best network, best value price plans and best customer service until about 2 years ago. They really need to invest in their network and improve their price plans, give better value data and roaming packages and get rid of those crap treats. People want value for money not treats! If they do this in my opinion they will win a lot of customers, me being one but somehow I don't think they will.

Advertisement