Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outstanding fees

Options
  • 13-03-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

i got an email today telling me that if i dont pay my outstanding fees by the end of the month there will be a fee, i wont have access to the library or exam results, the grant authority paid my reg fees and i paid the 158euro but i owe 400euro repeat fees, i was hoping to save a little each month and have enough to pay it back just before i graduate, im currently in the first semester of 2nd yr of a 3 year arts programme... is ucd that impatient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are you sure they block access to the library? If so **** them, I'm in same position as you, owe 690, will be saving to pay that back, but won't be able to do it full whack straight away.. from what I can see cut-off date is end of March, could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

yea, and apparently you cant register to the next stage till the fees are paid which i dont think is fair at all, i cant afford to pay it all straight away either and was hoping to pay it gradually before i graduate so i dont know what the story is.. is it worth contacting the student desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Yes they can deactivate your student card if you have outstanding fees. It happened to a hell of a lot of people in October/November last semester.

that is so unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I got it too - but I've paid all mine!!! Emailed them and asked what the story is, I'm on placement so can't go in >:-(

• Advertisement

well if uve paid all yours uve nothing to worry about.. i simply cant afford to pay 400euro in a lump sum... can only do it gradually , there seems to be no flexibilty at all with them.. i dunno what im guna do if they wont let me pay it over time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm pretty sure they won't block access to the library at this time of the year. That's what they do in October/November when you haven't paid anything.

Afaik any outstanding fees you still have will just result in them placing a hold on your account meaning you can't see your exam results.

so i wont be able to acces my results just before i graduate lol? cause thats when il finish paying the fees back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

corkman123 wrote: »
    i got an email today telling me that if i dont pay my outstanding fees by the end of the month there will be a fee, i wont have access to the library or exam results, the grant authority paid my reg fees and i paid the 158euro but i owe 400euro repeat fees, i was hoping to save a little each month and have enough to pay it back just before i graduate, im currently in the first semester of 2nd yr of a 3 year arts programme... is ucd that impatient?
    If you're in receipt of the grant, you can get a 1500 interest free overdraft with ulster bank. Then you could pay feew when they're due and slowly drain off the overdraft afterward.

i get the full rate grant and ALL my grant has to go towards my rent, student levy, transport and food.. family not in a position to provide too much financial help.. i have been slowly paying off the fee.. was 680... now down to 400.. i dont understand why they cant wait and just let me pay it off gradually... it really isnt fair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I know a few people who lost access to the library over fees.

Best bet is to go into the student centre accross from Newman and pay some of the fees and explain the situation.

As long as you go and talk to them and pay it off bit by bit you should be ok.

i emailed the student desk explaining my situation, and they sais that from march 21st i wont be able to access my exam results, credit statement or register to the next stage till all my fees are paid.. i cant afford to pay them all together, i was hoping they would let me pay it off gradually, so now i dont know what im going to do!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, if you don't mind not being able to access your exam results, just pay it off gradually. As long as it's clear in time for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Talk to your student advisor, they can be really helpful with what to do in this kind of situation. I got the same thing because I haven't paid the last 158 yet. Seriously, 2000 paid & they put a hold on your account over 158. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Muir wrote: »
    Talk to your student advisor, they can be really helpful with what to do in this kind of situation. I got the same thing because I haven't paid the last 158 yet. Seriously, 2000 paid & they put a hold on your account over 158. Stupid.

My friend had a hold over around 50 cent. In fairness though its probably al automated and its pretty hard to program reasoning and compassion into a computer program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Seeing as this threads full of elec engineers i'll chime in too :p

I still owe them 78 euro and they're chasing me for it but the last email i got never mentioned losing access to the library, just about the hold on my account.

I'll probably pay it a couple days before the results

Muir, how did you get the semester 1 results without paying?

I had outstanding fees this time last year which I didn't pay until the day before the exam results and I didn't lose access to the library. As I said earlier, they only seem to do this in October/November when you've paid nothing.

i owe the repeat fees from the previous semester, so i would have thought id have till at least august before they start chasing me.. il email the student advisor tommorow and see what they have to say

Chet, I paid 2000 in September, so I was able to get results, it's only the 158 I have left to pay.
    I think holds on your account now mean you lose access to the library though, happened to loads of people last semester who hadn't paid at least half the fees by a certain date. & it wasn't people who'd paid nothing, it was anyone who had paid less than half, or whatever it is that you're required to have paid by that date. They seem to have gotten strict on it this year. 'Cause last year at the end of semester 1 I hadn't paid enough by results time & I thought I would have a hold on my account, but there wasn't.

I don't think you're really given a lot of time to pay repeat fees, I'm not sure on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ah, yes. I get the grant so my 2k is paid but i still need to pay half of the 158 before i can get my results. Obviously 2k isn't enough for them :/

• Advertisement

Of course not, they need to get every cent they can. They probably could have saved the money we owe by not posting everyone bank giros, that most people wont even use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

In contrast to everyone else, my account gives me a balance of -€0.20. Does this mean I get my exam results early? :pac:

or save money by reducing some of the shocking wages people earn in ucd!

So that's why they're demanding money from us, they can't afford to pay you back your 20c! =P

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I got it too. Owe 500 euro. I've been paying them off gradually just like the rest of you. The email says nothing about them taking away by library access so as far as I'm concerned they can go and jump until I have the funds. I honestly couldn't give a toss about my credit statement or exam results for the time being. Not worrying over it... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well I still owe €25 euro and heard nothing, but I paid my fees in full, then got fined 50 euro at christmas for forgetting my card, and paid half of it off...I presume I can just lash off the other 25 when I get around to it as long as it's before results time and it'll be all good...

Advertisement