Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rsc crash

Options
  • 13-03-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

4 car crash at the rsc roundabout on the pc world side exit. Loads of ambulances and fire TENDERS there when I passed 20 mins ago. Would love to know how 4 cars managed to crash there as the speeds involved would surely be very low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Hope everyone is okay!

But you will always find some idiot doing above the speed permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say more likely someone getting confused at the lanes there and trying to cut across. Seen loads of close calls there (including nearly causing 1 myself about 6 years ago :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That round about can be lethal and people are trying to get home any time around 6 so they take more risks. Hope there was no serious injuries in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Id say more likely someone getting confused at the lanes there and trying to cut across. Seen loads of close calls there (including nearly causing 1 myself about 6 years ago :o)
    The thing was that it was the 4 cars, each going into the one in front. The last one, a jeep I think, was just off the roundabout. It seemed like the car at the front hit the brakes fairly hard and the other 3 just slammed into each other

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

I was only there at lunchtime, even then it was a nightmare. I hope everybody is ok...

I remember being taught to drive and the teacher saying how that roundabout is so dicey because the PC World approach is marked differently from the other exits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Its a nightmare trying to get out of the pc world car park surprised their dont be more crashes there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

It's also a nightmare for pedestrians trying to cross there at that roundabout. I've had a lucky escape once or twice due to some dickheads on the inner lane being too busy looking to their right on the roundabout for traffic to see me trying to cross the road from the left. I literally had to jump onto the traffic island one day to avoid being hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I went through that roundabout literally minutes before the crash happened. Was in the Eddie Rocketts car park waiting for the missus for not even 10 minutes I'd say when the emergency vehicles came along. They reacted very fast, fair play to them. We had dinner in Empty Pockets and on the way home they were still there loading cars on to a recovery vehicle. Looked bad alright, hope everyone is ok. It looked like a Corsa bore the brunt of the accident as it was sandwiched between two other cars on the roundabout. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

johnnykilo wrote: »
    It's also a nightmare for pedestrians trying to cross there at that roundabout. I've had a lucky escape once or twice due to some dickheads on the inner lane being too busy looking to their right on the roundabout for traffic to see me trying to cross the road from the left. I literally had to jump onto the traffic island one day to avoid being hit.

While I can sympathise with your need to get across the road, I don't see how concentrating on looking right makes drivers dickheads? You have to watch for an opportunity to join the traffic and when it is busy, in the time it takes to look left you have lost the opportunity to slip out. Solution would be to walk a few yards down the road and cross where the drivers are more likely to be able to look out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Was stuck in traffic looking down at it from Matties Hill. Judging by the firefighters reactions I am guessing (hoping) that everyone was all right. They weren't in much of a panic and one of the bigger engines left the scene while I was waiting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

ILoveShoez wrote: »
    Hope everyone is okay!

But you will always find some idiot doing above the speed permitted.

Pretty sure I've done that on every single journey I've ever made. Apart from my test maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

My dad has been saying for years that a certain percentage of Irish drivers simply don't know how to use roundabouts. As a cyclist, I've been struck twice by cars on roundabouts, so I tend to agree :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

looksee wrote: »
    While I can sympathise with your need to get across the road, I don't see how concentrating on looking right makes drivers dickheads? You have to watch for an opportunity to join the traffic and when it is busy, in the time it takes to look left you have lost the opportunity to slip out. Solution would be to walk a few yards down the road and cross where the drivers are more likely to be able to look out for you.

You don't see how only looking at one side of the road and nearly knocking down a pedestrian makes you a dickhead? Well then I can't help you sir :) You can concentrate on the traffic on the roundabout and have a quick glance to your left to see if anyone is crossing before pulling out it's not that hard. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about all drivers here, I've crossed that road thousands of times and I've had 2 near misses, but they've been 2 misses too many. In the particular case I'm talking about it's not as if I ran across in front of her: The traffic stopped in the outer lane to let me cross, I crossed the outer lane and stopped while the car in the outer lane went onto the roundabout (as it was already in the process of pulling out), I then started to cross the inner lane and walk to the traffic island in the middle while the car behind moved slowly up to the junction line, only thing is when I was halfway across the inner lane I realised she wasn't stopping and she started to speed up (cos she was too busy looking to the right trying to pull out) so I had to jump onto the traffic island. It was only when I was on the traffic island she noticed me and apologised. That's fair enough I called her a few choice words, but what if I had a dog, or a kid or a pram with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I actually witnessed a crash at that roundabout one Saturday morning..........2 cars both heading in the same direction clashed .

One of the drivers was a non-Irish , used to driving on the RHS .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

The car( first ) coming off the roundabout towards the folly braked to allow a pedestrian with a pram to across the road toward ballybeg.The rest of the cars drivers, do not or , did not expect the car to brake for a pedestrian, then rammed in to the back of each other.
    Never stop on, or coming off a roundabout unless, the are flashing amber lights

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I actually witnessed a crash at that roundabout one Saturday morning..........2 cars both heading in the same direction clashed .

One of the drivers was a non-Irish , used to driving on the RHS .
    Your right in what your saying and drivers need to look out for pedestrians that said as a lot of drivers don't I will always wait to see a driver is looking at me or beckons me across before I ever cross the road.

Back to the topic at hand I'm assuming that the drivers who went into the cars in front of them are at fault for not allowing enough time and space to react?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

jayboi wrote: »
    Your right in what your saying and drivers need to look out for pedestrians that said as a lot of drivers don't I will always wait to see a driver is looking at me or beckons me across before I ever cross the road.

Back to the topic at hand I'm assuming that the drivers who went into the cars in front of them are at fault for not allowing enough time and space to react?

yes exactly, they are all at fault for not leaving enough "Breaking Distance" from the car in front. Front car is blameless from what has been described

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote: »
    yes exactly, they are all at fault for not leaving enough "Breaking Distance" from the car in front. Front car is blameless from what has been described

Front car is legally blameless all right, because legally you're supposed to watch what's in front of you.

However practically speaking, whenever you're coming off a roundabout, you're going to be changing your focus from looking to the right for oncoming traffic, over to looking ahead like you normally do, and in that split second if there's something unexpectedly there, you may hit it.

For that reason, it's stupid in the extreme to stop on a roundabout to let a pedestrian across. Once you've moved on a roundabout you shouldn't really be stopping until you're well off it, even though you're technically in the right.

Just as an aside, I think roundabouts are a foolish idea in urban environments. They're great when it's only traffic using them, but mix in pedestrians and they just don't work. They're not pedestrian friendly, and they're a bloody nightmare for the blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

fricatus wrote: »
    Front car is legally blameless all right, because legally you're supposed to watch what's in front of you.

However practically speaking, whenever you're coming off a roundabout, you're going to be changing your focus from looking to the right for oncoming traffic, over to looking ahead like you normally do, and in that split second if there's something unexpectedly there, you may hit it.

For that reason, it's stupid in the extreme to stop on a roundabout to let a pedestrian across. Once you've moved on a roundabout you shouldn't really be stopping until you're well off it, even though you're technically in the right.

Just as an aside, I think roundabouts are a foolish idea in urban environments. They're great when it's only traffic using them, but mix in pedestrians and they just don't work. They're not pedestrian friendly, and they're a bloody nightmare for the blind.

Absolutely agree with you. Although the front car is blameless in the eyes of the law, it was their stupidity that caused the incident to happen. The amount of times I've seen cars stopping when exiting a roundabout to allow a pedestrian cross is astonishing. People thinking they're being nice but in reality, they're potentially causing a crash, like what has apparently happened in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It is ridiculously stupid imo to stop while exiting a roundabout to let people cross, its not being nice its potentially causing an accident, the amount of times I see it at the Ardkeen roundabout, the RSC one and the tiny one at the bottom of the folly hill its a wonder there isnt actually more accidents.

Generally people seem to stop for older people or women with prams etc, thinking they are doing a good deed. It just dangerous in my eyes, legally the cars behind are in the wrong for not leaving themselves enough time to break and be aware of whats happening in front, but someone stopping without warning on a roundabout, especially at a busy time is wreckless driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

kryogen wrote: »
    It is ridiculously stupid imo to stop while exiting a roundabout to let people cross, its not being nice its potentially causing an accident, the amount of times I see it at the Ardkeen roundabout, the RSC one and the tiny one at the bottom of the folly hill its a wonder there isnt actually more accidents.

Generally people seem to stop for older people or women with prams etc, thinking they are doing a good deed. It just dangerous in my eyes, legally the cars behind are in the wrong for not leaving themselves enough time to break and be aware of whats happening in front, but someone stopping without warning on a roundabout, especially at a busy time is wreckless driving.

Same always happening the the mini 1 at the keanes road/cleaboy road. And with mini ones its like stopping halfway around a corner. Few times Ive seen it has been forced by the women who think their pram is a red light if they push it out 1st :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I generally let people walk across, but only if I feel the traffic behind me is at a safe distance to let me stop. So ill slow down on approach if I see someone (just to be safe, as people tend to walk out anyway and if they have buggies the chances are even higher!) at a roundabout and if its safe - ill let them cross. Otherwise they could be there for ages waiting to cross.

I have seen numerous times people who suddenly stop, without warning or any indication of slowing down, to let people pass. That can be freaky as you need to then break and ensure your still at a safe distance without hitting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Slowing down to let people cross while approaching a round a bout is a different situation entirely, something I do regularly myself as long as its safe to do so,stopping while exiting the round a bout to let someone cross is never a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If I remember my rules of the road correctly you shouldnt stop on a roundabout. Not to mention doing this when people behind you it can also block people coming on to the round about, which is pure ignorance. Getting into the wrong lane is no excuse if you look at the road signs before the cork road and ardkeen tesco roundabout you wont get into trouble. If you think Waterford is bad with roundabouts try Portloaise. They have lots and the layouts change on alot of them.
    The Folly is the worst especially during the school run. Parents think they own the road and just walk out in front of you, are stopping blocking traffic to drop off or collect. Would love to see the cops down there during these times. Learners on their own collecting kids, cars with no brake lights etc.
    Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

It annoys me when drivers in the right lane stop to let pedestrians cross on a two lane roundabout, they dont always think of the driver who is taking the first exit in the left lane and they might not always see you giving way to the pedestrian!! I've seen it so many times, its very dangerous :mad:

Another thing that causes accidents on roundabouts is drivers who actually have their wing mirrors turn in, its so stupid, they're put on a car for a reason so use them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Another pet hate people taking first exit on a roundabout do a "farmers turn" meaning they pull out to the right and sometimes cross into the right lane before they turn off. Seems the smaller the car the more they pull to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

....So road runners aren't the only people who make the odd mistake on the roads??? This is a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

spookwoman wrote: »
    "farmers turn"

LOL :D

Yeah, what is it with that? It makes sense when it's a HGV or a tractor pulling a trailor, but a car? How big do they think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It should be illegal to stop while exiting a roundabout. It makes no sense, and it is extremely dangerous, and causes accidents as experienced by the drivers in this case. I fear what i would say if i ended up going into the back of someone who stopped while exiting a roundabout.

Even more stupid are the council idiots who think it's a good idea to put pedestrian crossing on roundabouts! Prime example is one in Limerick, the Kilmurry Roundabout. One of the busiest coming into the city from the Dublin road, and they have pedestrian crossings at each entry/exit. Look it up on google maps, zoom in in satellite and you'll see the grey tarmac at each exit... Stupidity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement