Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What college course will I get a job from

Options
  • 13-03-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am planning on going to college in September but no idea what course to go for. The main thing for me is that I want to do a course with a good chance of getting a job out of it! I am interested in science and social care but am open to suggestion. I've heard there's jobs in pharmaceutical science, does anyone know if that's true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Study what you have a natural talent for. Don't be naive but don't be a complete sellout either.

50% safe
    50% what you're good at / enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

My advice would be to do a course you are interested in and not necessarily the course that will get you the best job. Pick something around what subjects you are studying for the leaving cert.
    It is not too bad picking up a new subject in third level but picking up two or three new subjects would not make much sense. Best thing is to just look at the courses that interest you and the modules involved. I started out in university studying something that was not suitable to me and ended up dropping out to start something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

You are probably best off trying to find out where there are no jobs. I have done business admin and to be honest i would stay away from it. Don't get me wrong the course was a very good course but far to unfocused. The jobs you can apply for there is always someone with a more focused degree. e.g. legal secretary (Law Degree) Marketing assistant (Marketing Degree) and so on, Simply go onto a few job sites and you will see where there is lots of jobs but as another poster said. Make sure it is something you would enjoy there is one thing nobody wants and thats being stuck in a job they have no interest in. Doesn't matter how much money you are getting paid if you dread work everyday.

Where are you strengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2011 L.C study goblin

I know a lot of people in my area who have gone to universities and first up don't do a waffle course.

The most innovative courses and colleges are the best with biomedical,high tech., computer courses with a near full employment rate. Computer applications in DCU have a 100% employment rate!!

The most innovative college is DCU, they are constantly interacting with new technologies. The new DCU app is pretty cool and there are courses who get free iPads to work with in class as there are so many high tech. companies collaborating with DCU and Invent. UCD and Trinity have a real lack of modern innovative courses bar the medical ones.

There's class video on DCU app on this Facebook page is all about why DCU will get you a job and why it's innovative.http://www.facebook.com/IrelandUniversityInnovation

Advertisement