Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[UPC] Cisco EPC3925 Connection Dropping

• 13-03-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been having problems with my UPC broadband for the last few months. The connection drops several times a day and recovers itself. This includes when connected directly to the router by ethernet.
    I'm in direct contact email \ text with a network technician who can see the issue happening remotely logged into the router.

According to him I'm the only customer he knows of this problem??? What I will say is when it works it is fast. I can post up the results of pingtest (line A quality) and speedtest (96mb download and 8mb) upload but just wish it was reliable.

I think it has to be something with the router

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Very common problem with the crap routers they supply. The guy is lying if he says you are the only person. I had same problem a few weeks ago (symptom = router rebooting frequently), and I got mine replaced (with same model) - problem is now gone.

Just demand a replacement router from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

thanks, i've had the black router to start then the white thompson and now back to the new black router (wireless n)

the engineer said he was in contact with cisco and they recommended a new firmware image but that didn't make a difference

it's been going on far too long just going to switch to vodafone if they don't resolve it. worse thing is the amount they are getting each month from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Piers

I've had continuous problems with my UPC wireless connection using the CISCO EPC3925 modem supplied. The issue appears to be that this modem has a poor wireless range - the modem is downstairs and I work in an office upstairs and get a lousy signal. My old Eircom mode was much better. Already replaced the CISCO modem with no improvement. Been on to tech support and went through the whole range of available channels, rebooting etc. If UPC supply a modem with such a lousy range they should supply it with a range extender. I'm tempted to return to Eircom......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HarryMan1

I've been having problems with my UPC broadband since the first day of joining UPC from Vodafone on the 12th of April . The connection drops several times a day and recovers itself. This includes when connected directly to the router by Ethernet. I have had 3 different routers but still the problem persists I even connected using a Linux box still dropping the connection. If I set-up a ping to www.google .ie I can see the request's timing out but I can still ping the router. Anybody have a resolution to this problem speed is great but the drop outs are a killer!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Montgomerie

Connection drops could be caused by a number of things, firstly change the coax cable that runs to the modem/router.

I was getting crazy drops when I first got my UPC, every 20-30 mins or so...Borrowed a regular coaxial cable from the aul fella, no more drops. Assuming the original cable got damaged because of its location. Connection point was at the side of the front window. The cable ran very very close to the radiator below the window. Ran the new cable so it didn't go near the rad. Running fine ever since. Signed up for 25Mb and thanks to their last upgrade, getting 31Mb down via cable. Wireless varies from 15M to 20Mb..

Contact UPC and follow what they have to say. If you do and the drops persist, they'll send an engineer out to check your wiring etc.

Btw a good tip is to use ping and tracert to get an idea as to where your network problems lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Happens to me constantly since I switched to UPC in the summer.

Its not a major issue on the laptop but it is impossible to game online and some large downloads pause (as they don't always autorecover then the connection recovers).

Also got a CISCO modem.

This is ridiculous - the problem is clearly endemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Also getting constant drop outs with Cisco EPC3925. Its complete junk. I never had any issues with the old router, but forced to use this one as upc wont offer an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Have had alot of trouble with the EPC3925 over the last few months , had it replaced but still had trouble. They then relocated it to the hall and ran a new cable through the wall into the box at the side of the house , but I still had problems.

Today it went bad again so I connected the laptop to the router direct and ran a few speedtests with hit and miss results , decided to run a few ping tests with command prompt (100 pings ) all showed as ok no packet loss.

Then tried pingtest.net and was getting 58% packet loss all the time :eek: , so I tried a ping test ( command prompt ) with 1500 and got 100% packet loss. then tried it with 1472 and got 0% packet loss.

I then changed the mtu setting in the Cisco from 0 ( automatic ) to 1472 and ran the pingtest.net tests again and got 0% packet loss in every test, connection seems ok now ( full speed ) but time will tell ;) .

2419829751.png
    75182312.png

• Advertisement

Never had Packet loss or jitter problems though experiencing dropouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Well that did not work for long , connection got really slow and then dropped out for a few seconds and came back up.

Have put the mtu on the Cisco back to 0 and ran the ping test and speedtests again and got no packet loss , but also not full speeds.

2420014239.png
    75185848.png

Had enough of UPC at this stage.

Power off the router and then try again. Tenner says its back to perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Powering off the router is no good when you require a constant connection. When it works well we get full speed and it's glorious. However, everyday multiple times a day it drops to 1 or 2Mbit even while connected to ethernet. Upload always seems to be running at maximum speed.

Frankly I don't have enough networking knowledge but this says to me it's a connection problem and not a router problem. While connected to ethernet a little while ago, I did a speedtest, it started out at 2Mb and then spiked just at the end. I ran it again and it was back up to 50. Throughout the upload remained as it was.

Its become clear its a systemwide problem and not limited to a few people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Having the same issue. With the dropouts too.

UPC saying download is at 35mbps, run again its75mbps, and once again its back down to 30.

Speedtest.net is saying 4-5mbps eery time!

Its supposed to be 125ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bored IE

Is anybody else getting this error when it drops out? Goto VoIP --> 'Event log'. It's the full error as oppose to the standard event log

Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic Flow (EC=7);CM-MAC=...;CMTS-MAC=...;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Not sure if this is innocuous or not but it seems to correspond with the drop in VPN connection, which is driving me mad at this stage. Had it sorted, then moved house and now it's back!

Bridged, cant see those logs sorry.

Thanks for the links, travist - useful info in there.

When I spoke to them today, they said that they don't support VPN connections but they would get somebody from their corp team to give me a call. Think they are pushing back on me and saying the broadband is fine.

When the engineer fixed the problem before, he made a couple of config changes but I didn't back it up, so when the router was swapped out, I'm back to square 1.

Has anybody self-configured the router in terms of MTU etc?

• Advertisement

Well, UPC have it sorted again - no drop for a couple of hours and the error has gone from the event log.

The engineer removed 'WAN Blocking' from the advanced options in the modem configuration. Hopefully, that might help somebody else.

Good work, Alan@UPC!

Thanks UPC - still by far the best option in my opinion.

WTF is that doing I wonder.

The guy didn't know and they have tried to get further details from Thompson but no joy.

Once that problem was resolved, the VPN dropped out every hour, so changed Lease Time - entered all 99999's, which disables it.

Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Timothy Wildgust

I had this problem as well but all fixed now. This is what I've done.

1. Login to your to your router interface.
    2. Choose setup
    3. Choose LAN setup
    4. If your IP address is what mine was it should be 192.168.1.1
    5. Change it to 192.168.0.1

Don't know why this worked if anyone would please tell me it would be great.
    No signal drop now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 edugiansante

I had this problem as well but all fixed now. This is what I've done.

1. Login to your to your router interface.
    2. Choose setup
    3. Choose LAN setup
    4. If your IP address is what mine was it should be 192.168.1.1
    5. Change it to 192.168.0.1

Don't know why this worked if anyone would please tell me it would be great.
    No signal drop now :)

Several years later and I'm having this exact problem with a rather dated modem provided by former-UPC.

I tried the steps above but nothing really changed tbh. You prob just got lucky/coincidence with the change :)

Advertisement