Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well that was a waste of money...

• 13-03-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I'm just after getting Key Notes for english, and realised our teacher is just rewriting the notes from it! Word for word, the summary of poems (Hamlet and comparative) is exactly the same. We were all talking about how our teacher had these brilliant notes, but now it turns out she's just copying them down. Of course she's given no indication that these are copied. Just wanted to rant, but do ya think she's in the wrong much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Odd that you thought otherwise really ......They've been at that for donkeys .
    God forbid they'd have to come up with an original thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm just after getting Key Notes for english, and realised our teacher is just rewriting the notes from it! Word for word, the summary of poems (Hamlet and comparative) is exactly the same. We were all talking about how our teacher had these brilliant notes, but now it turns out she's just copying them down. Of course she's given no indication that these are copied. Just wanted to rant, but do ya think she's in the wrong much?
    lol. My Teacher does this too, don't worry it won't effect your grade I used these notes nearly exactly for my mocks and ended up with an A2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We were all talking about how our teacher had these brilliant notes

So, what has changed? They're still brilliant notes, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Ha, I was amazed by my own teacher's English notes until I realised the exact same thing! I wouldn't say word for word now, but the comparatives were very alike. In fairness though our teacher somehow managed to improve on them. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why don't you make your own notes? It's what we all did years ago and believe me you learn so much more easily by doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    Why don't you make your own notes? It's what we all did years ago and believe me you learn so much more easily by doing it.

And all before marking schemes were available online too to the general public....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Does it really matter? You got good notes, you got them for nothing, regardless of where your teacher got them they still went to the effort of giving them to you, because if it was the other way around your rant would most likely read 'my teacher gives us no notes, I've had to buy a book of notes and try and learn them myself, my teacher is sooooo crap'

if this is the biggest problem you face for your leaving cert you won't have much to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Her salary will cover the expense of the book. Don't be worried :pac:
    This is standard behaviour at LC level, nothing to be surprised or shocked about! Plagiarism is key to an A1 in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

where do you get that book!! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

At least she's going to the trouble of rewriting them, mine literally just photocopies the book. I don't think she actually likes English very much...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

My teacher has photocopied us the entire book. Everyone else in the country is using it. All my photocopies are in the bin :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My teacher has photocopied us the entire book. Everyone else in the country is using it. All my photocopies are in the bin :P

Why? They're still good notes. It's up to you how to put them together on the day of the exam. You get marks for answering the exam question in a clear, coherent way, not for stunning originality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

spurious wrote: »

I agree. So much easier to understand and expand your points as a result, as you are writing about your own work as opposed to someone else's. Much easier to adapt on the fly as well.

Advertisement