Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advise from Irish musician-performing

• 13-03-2012 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi. I have a questions regarding playing as a one man band in Ireland.

I am play guitar with backing tracks.
    Mostly blues, rock, smooth jazz, fusion, funky

Some artist like:
    Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Greg Howe, Carlos Santana

My level of technique and sound is similar to artist mentioned above. I do not sing. Just instrumental.

My question is:

Is that reasonably to try perform as a one man band for me in Ireland?

Will there be someone to listen this kind of music? I mean only instrumental.

If yes. Where should I try? I mean : restaurants? pubs?

What should I expect?

What kind of payment should I ask?

I am going to buy very expensive portable PA system and would like to be sure It pay for itself.

Please, advise.As a foreigner I do not have any experience here in Ireland.
    I am open to any suggestions and thank you in advance for help.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Silverbirdband

I don't know about pub/venue gigs but you could make a good amount of money with busking if you buy a portable amp like a Roland Street Cube and went busking on Grafton Street, especially on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Jacub

Thank you for replying. I may consider that option but probably with better sound system.

Any one else can give me some advise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I think you would be better of trying to get into a rock cover band to make some cash.If your a good lead guitarist then you should have no problem finding a good band.
    If covers isnt your thing then try to get into an originals band instead.I dont think there will many pubs or restaurants that will hire you to play instrument only like that style.

Thanks for replying. Maybe I have to consider busking on the beginning.
    That creates another question. How to connect Portable PA system Bose L1 model 2 and VG-88 Guitar synthesizer to some power on the street?
    Does anyone have any idea?

If I could have a jazz singer with myself. Will that make a difference trying to perform inside? I mean mix of backing track and live arrangement.
    What is typical payment for 2 hours performance in restaurants / pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

No point in joining a cover band if you cant sing, almost all of us guitar players on the scene grew up on vai, petrucci and satch so playing like that is just a natural part of the job you wont be anything special and without vocals it wont mater how well you play.

Try and do the instrumental thing its different no one is doing it and people are crying out for something new to go and see.

good luck and keeeeeep pushing

• Advertisement

Thanks for advise. I may try all options.
    I have just download one of cover songs I play. It was recorded straight without any amendments. Just recorded live. You may hear some small mistakes. My friend done the quick mix after. I have download the song on his website. Please, comment. If you think I am good enough and should try starting performing let me know . If you think I am not ready enough for Irish stage let me know too, please. I prefer not to make a fool of myself.

http://www.myspace.com/blindsking
    The songs is a cover. Steve Vai - For the Love of God

Any comments or advise?
    What sort of money you can gen busking on the street?
    I mean 4 hours plying a day at the weekend time in Dublin area?

Advertisement