Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crop Rotation and Raised Beds

Options
  • 13-03-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Trying to make a vegetable garden in my tiny back garden, first time I've ever done something like this so bare with me!

I've just built two raised beds and I'm wondering how I can plant my veg using a crop rotation system with only the two beds. I have potato bags for growing potatoes. So what would I plant between the other two beds? I'm hoping to grow peas, mange tout, spinach, lettuce, potatoes and shallots. I know there are four categories in crop rotation, but I don't have the space for that many raised beds. Is it possible to partition the beds somehow? Or leave out one type of crop altogether? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The peas and mangetout belong to one family so give over one bed (or most of it) to those. Shallots belong to the allium family so keep those separate. Leafy salads can pretty much go anywhere without upsetting the balance so stick them in whereever they will fit. Is that all you are doing? If so it shouldn't be complicated for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

Good advice from redser. There are 4 year rotations but also three year rotations as well. Don't dream of leaving anything out! If you can grow some things which you will eat and enjoy, don't get too worried about rotations. If you have a GIY group in your area, then be sure to go along to one of their free meetings to get advice from other growers in your locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Thank you guys for the great advice. What would you recommend growing in the bed with the shallots?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

With the shallots, it is best to keep anything else form the onion family. This would include onions themselves (red or white) and garlic. Spring onions could go in here as well. I ended up buying shallots the other day myself at the suggestion of my local garden center owner. His advice was to use shallots as a way of groing your spring onions/scallions rather than growing from seed. He suggested that they will be ready to use in about 8 weeks as opposed to about 12 weeks plus for spring onions from seed, and will also be more successful.

Advertisement