Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go **** Yourself EA

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

After hearing that from ashes DLC for ME3 is day 1 DLC that apparently adds a vital character who provides tons of backstory and is quite important overall, ive decided not to buy ME3. Ive no problem with crappy day 1 DLC like costumes or even extra missions that are optional, but leaving out something thats apparently really quite a big deal just to scrounge and extra 6 euro out of the player? GET TAE ****

very little of what you heard is true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Really, cause thats not what pretty much every other forum i visit had to say about that character. They said the dlc mission is small beans, but what the character adds overall to the game is fairly important.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You right " that money was just resting in my account " !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I know not it's a subscription for additional statistic and bulk pay for upcoming dlc. Let's be honest, they cut out that statistic stuff and made in a subscription. Something like that should be included in a game already and I should not pay money for it again.
    Well there's basics stats which should be included in games, say for instance the older Call Of Duty titles, and then there's stuff like heat maps for levels and other web-based visual feedback based on metrics in the game. I'd argue that these are a significant investment for a developer and could command an additional cost. On the other hand, when you're dealing with a game with such a hugely popular and important multiplayer fanbase, it would be a wortwhile investment in order to keep your title on top and as such, should be included for free. Of course, the paid version of Elite offers a bunch of other content too, official tournaments with prizes, more regular content in the form of MP maps and Spec Ops content and "Call Of Duty TV". As I said above, none of this content particuarly interests me and even if it did, I'd probably prefer to buy said content individually when it I want it. 1.5 million people seem to disagree me with me though.
    As for dlc who made game crap without it: fallout 3 and new Vegas. Ending was sold as dlc.
    Aye, you mentioned that before. Only problem is a bunch of people disagreed with you and found the alternate endings from the DLC to be sub-par. So, who's right? :)
    Dead space 2. Dlc that gives you all weapons and best armor from first shop for free. ( different side of the stock, but it still made game shiet )
    I was actually going to use Dead Space as an example of an EA game where a subscription simply wouldn't work. What could they add for instance? More multiplayer maps? More skins? More weapons? Additional story-based animated movies?

But why would they bother? Dead Space 2 multiplayer wasn't exactly welcomed by fans of the franchise. The numbers playing it have dwindled to pretty much an insignificant number so there's no point in spending time working on additional content for that. And movies? Why would they not release them on DVD and Bluray when the two out so far have been extremely well received, both critically and commerically?
    After hearing that from ashes DLC for ME3 is day 1 DLC that apparently adds a vital character who provides tons of backstory and is quite important overall, ive decided not to buy ME3. Ive no problem with crappy day 1 DLC like costumes or even extra missions that are optional, but leaving out something thats apparently really quite a big deal just to scrounge and extra 6 euro out of the player? GET TAE ****
    On this very thread last night we had people claiming the developers had lied, the content was all on the disc and wasn't it great that they had been found out. Of course, this completely ignored the fact that all of the content wasn't on the disc and what the developers had said about the development of the DLC was completely true. In fact, I'd wager that if you visited more forums even today, you'd still have plenty of people claiming all the content was finished in time and is all on the disc.

As for the significance of the DLC, the actual race of the character is quite central to the lore of the game, however if you had played the previous games in the series you'd know they really shouldn't exist and that its mere presence is more along the lines of fan service than anything of importance. That's also ignoring the fact that neither its mission nor presence in the game is vital in the slightest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cod elite made it and got away with it, now will go dice, then another big name etc. in near future any game you will pick up will be subscription based. I personally have a lot of games, but I jump between them. There is no way I could afford subing for even 4-5 of them that I play regularly.
    They are trying out how thin ice is. They make it look that subscription will be only for additional content now. Then they will try out ice on full monthly sub for online. We all know how it works.

Good point. Look how the last subscription based system worked with MMO's. It's all free to play now. I doubt this experiment will last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The model isn't subscription based though. In essence, you're paying for the DLC up front and getting a discount on it, which depending on your interest in the game, can represent good value.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good point. Look how the last subscription based system worked with MMO's. It's all free to play now. I doubt this experiment will last.

That's what I though too. Mmorpgs go free to play, there are even free to play games on ps3. Killzone 3 and that new dust game free to play. Tribes ascend, lol Fred to play. Hon then gone free to play BECOUSE of how well lol did.
    There is some sort of battlefield going to be free to play to soon.

It's a new business model which works well. Then ea comes in and tries subscription like this!

Free to play has more benefits then just playing for free for some people. Keep in mind that People who play those games and never pay still gives alot of advantages to developer. Why? Well, because those people are filling in spaces and give paying customer players to play with somebody. Look at mmorpg who drop subs like anvil. So then paying customers who like game are left in empty worlds. They quit them too, because they feel like in desert. So they not just lost subs from people that don't want to play, but lost subs from people who like game, but can't experience content due to lack of people.

I am prety sure that a big part of people were turned to bf3, instead of mw3, just because of the cod elite alone. I really love how that big ea cheese says: that subscription will improve content... Bull fecking shiet. We all know that they just want more money. I have no problem to pay for dlc content that I like. I won't pay a full years sub for content, that I haven't even seen. Imagine paying a yearly sub for fallout new Vegas and find out that only 1 dlc out of all of them was decent ( old world blues ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wish developers would just get a heavy dose of amnesia and forget that this DLC **** ever got thought up. I absolutely despise it, not least for the fact that paying 60e for a game used to mean getting the full product. I'm getting to a stage where I will simply refuse to buy any title with this crap attached to it.

If that also means giving up gaming then so be it, because gaming as it is now with this obsession for online and DLC is a ****ing waste of money and time.

The model isn't subscription based though. In essence, you're paying for the DLC up front and getting a discount on it, which depending on your interest in the game, can represent good value.

Nope. They mixed in stuff which should be with the base game with dlc.

Let's be honest. More then 50% cod fan base haven't even tried single player campaing. They buy cod only for multiplayer. So such statistic thing like cod elite should be in base for such multiplayer focused game.

So if they will give statistic thing to all player and then sale dlc pack for a year, then it is something solid. Based on your faith and intrest in game you can take a gamble to pay for all dlc now. These things called season passes now? Gow and forza did those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

im just gona ask this as ive been curious for a while

what mythical fps games are these?

you can blaze through quake 1 or quake 2 in a couple of hours.
    duke nukem 3d is the same. blood, same. descent 1/2 .. maybe a little longer but only because you spent half the time trying to reorient yourself. doom 1 and 2, yeah. same. unreal.. i dont really remember but i dont think it was massively long either. wolfenstein?.. again dont remember but there is no way this game was a 20+ hours game. heretic, hexen?

only game I can think of is deus ex but it's not really fair to compare that to modern shooters in terms of length as it's "longer" than the other games ive mentioned too.

--edit

how did I forget ****ing half life.

You forgot Halo and Serious Sam - both of which are quite long if i recall.

Descent 1/2. LOVED that game for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not sure if we're getting wires cross here but with COD Elite you get the stat-tracking for free - it's the maps and competitions that you pay for. You can still set up a COD Elite account free of charge and view all those stats.

This talk of a 'subscription' model is disengenuine and people seem to be thinking of a MMO type plan where you can only play the game if you pay a monthly fee. As far as I can tell what's up for discussion is the validity of DLC season passes, and that's what EA are talking about. As said before I don't see a problem with them at all.

I am prety sure that a big part of people were turned to bf3, instead of mw3, just because of the cod elite alone. I really love how that big ea cheese says: that subscription will improve content... Bull fecking shiet. We all know that they just want more money. I have no problem to pay for dlc content that I like. I won't pay a full years sub for content, that I haven't even seen. Imagine paying a yearly sub for fallout new Vegas and find out that only 1 dlc out of all of them was decent ( old world blues ).
    You realise that CoD: Elite has a pretty large free component? The Premium sub, which is what costs money, only has the actual new content, access to tournaments with prizes and a bunch of videos based on the series and "tactical analysis". I don't really know why anyone would be turned away from the game because of this...unless they finally realised BF3 is the better game. :pac:
    DarkJager wrote: »
    I wish developers would just get a heavy dose of amnesia and forget that this DLC **** ever got thought up. I absolutely despise it, not least for the fact that paying 60e for a game used to mean getting the full product. I'm getting to a stage where I will simply refuse to buy any title with this crap attached to it.
    Why would they when people keep buying it?

As for that other comment, I'm guessing you missed my question above. What was the last game you shelled out €60 on that, after finishing it, didn't feel like the full product?
    Nope. They mixed in stuff which should be with the base game with dlc.
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gizmo wrote: »
    Well there's basics stats which should be included in games, say for instance the older Call Of Duty titles, and then there's stuff like heat maps for levels and other web-based visual feedback based on metrics in the game. I'd argue that these are a significant investment for a developer and could command an additional cost. On the other hand, when you're dealing with a game with such a hugely popular and important multiplayer fanbase, it would be a wortwhile investment in order to keep your title on top and as such, should be included for free. Of course, the paid version of Elite offers a bunch of other content too, official tournaments with prizes, more regular content in the form of MP maps and Spec Ops content and "Call Of Duty TV". As I said above, none of this content particuarly interests me and even if it did, I'd probably prefer to buy said content individually when it I want it. 1.5 million people seem to disagree me with me though.

Aye, you mentioned that before. Only problem is a bunch of people disagreed with you and found the alternate endings from the DLC to be sub-par. So, who's right? :)

I was actually going to use Dead Space as an example of an EA game where a subscription simply wouldn't work. What could they add for instance? More multiplayer maps? More skins? More weapons? Additional story-based animated movies?

But why would they bother? Dead Space 2 multiplayer wasn't exactly welcomed by fans of the franchise. The numbers playing it have dwindled to pretty much an insignificant number so there's no point in spending time working on additional content for that. And movies? Why would they not release them on DVD and Bluray when the two out so far have been extremely well received, both critically and commerically?

On this very thread last night we had people claiming the developers had lied, the content was all on the disc and wasn't it great that they had been found out. Of course, this completely ignored the fact that all of the content wasn't on the disc and what the developers had said about the development of the DLC was completely true. In fact, I'd wager that if you visited more forums even today, you'd still have plenty of people claiming all the content was finished in time and is all on the disc.

As for the significance of the DLC, the actual race of the character is quite central to the lore of the game, however if you had played the previous games in the series you'd know they really shouldn't exist and that its mere presence is more along the lines of fan service than anything of importance. That's also ignoring the fact that neither its mission nor presence in the game is vital in the slightest.

For a start the fact that the ME3 DLC character is on the disc but the DLC mission has to be downloaded just means EA learned from the crapfest that came out when the Bioshock 2 DLC was found out to be on the disc. There is no reason to have just the DLC character and sound files on the release disc at all.

Also while the DLC mission itself is tiny, the back ground that is covered in it plays a huge part towards the end of the story in that it gives pretty important information about the Reapers that otherwise comes totally out of the blue to players who didn't buy the DLC.

You even agree the DLC character shouldn't exist from a lore point of view yet you seem to believe every word as 100% truth from a company that would pull such a money grabbing stunt :rolleyes:

im just gona ask this as ive been curious for a while

what mythical fps games are these?

you can blaze through quake 1 or quake 2 in a couple of hours.
    duke nukem 3d is the same. blood, same. descent 1/2 .. maybe a little longer but only because you spent half the time trying to reorient yourself. doom 1 and 2, yeah. same. unreal.. i dont really remember but i dont think it was massively long either. wolfenstein?.. again dont remember but there is no way this game was a 20+ hours game. heretic, hexen?

only game I can think of is deus ex but it's not really fair to compare that to modern shooters in terms of length as it's "longer" than the other games ive mentioned too.

--edit

how did I forget ****ing half life.

System shock 1+2
    Unreal
    Farcry 1+2
    Doom 3
    Quake 2
    HL1+2
    Crysis
    Halo

All those games took me a few days to complete unlike the few hours that MW1+2+3, Rage and other newer FPS games seem to take.

Why would they when people keep buying it?

As for that other comment, I'm guessing you missed my question above. What was the last game you shelled out €60 on that, after finishing it, didn't feel like the full product?

The problem is that people keep buying it. If people point blank refused to buy the half arsed add ons, you'd probably only ever see quality and worthwhile additions being churned out. As it is, people seem content to buy total crap like armor skins and things which have absolutely no right to have a fee attached.

As for the last game where I felt like it was 60e down the drain, that would be Saints Row 3. I finish an open world game and would like to now mess around with some cheats but shock horror - the cheats are a DLC pack that had to be bought. And that pretty much has guaranteed that I will never ever buy another Saints Row, and am seriously considering giving future THQ/Volition titles a miss.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Its not all F2p. WoW is still the market leader and has a subscription fee even tho its lost a few million subs over the last year. GW2 is the only new big name MMO coming out that is B2P as The Secret World is both subscription + cash shop and I'v heard nothing regarding Tera.

The only MMO's that go F2P are really old ones EQ2 and LOTRO or the likes of AoC, Warhammer, CO, STO, DCU and Aion which all crashed and burned at release due to being for the most part utter crap.

Venom wrote: »
    For a start the fact that the ME3 DLC character is on the disc but the DLC mission has to be downloaded just mean EA learned from the crapfest that came out when the Bioshock 2 DLC was found out to be on the disc. There is no reason to have just the DLC character and sound files on the release disc at all.
    Yes, there is. As has been explained by Bioware staff and a bunch of other devs over the last couple of years, towards the end of the development cycle, a stage known as "Content Complete" is hit. At this point all of the art assets for the final game should be in place and ready to ship. Awhile later "Code Complete" is hit which is the same for code. Finally you get to the Certification process where the final game goes off for platform holder testing and then after that, pending further bug fixes, pressing. In the case of Mass Effect 3, the character DLC would have been finalised between Content Complete and Certification, otherwise the artists would have been either twiddling their thumbs, moved onto another project or just sacked. There would also, of course, be code support of these characters, just like for the other ones in the game. This is why those files will be on the disc. The actual mission files and code support for them would have been added after this and wouldn't have made it in time for manufacturing.

As for the Bioshock 2 comment. Well again there's a perfectly reasonable technical explanation for this. When playing against someone online, you need to have the same content as them otherwise how would the player who doesn't have the content actually see it? The patching and content distribution process on the consoles is, as Tim Schafer pointed out recently, not only complex but expensive. He estimated it would cost DoubleFine about $40k to go through it. Bearing these two points in mind, as well as the fact that the additional costumes and characters for that DLC would probably have fallen into the same catagory as the ME3 stuff, it made perfect sense for the content to be on the disc.

Of course, the gaming media just went OMG THE CONTENT IS ON THE DISC, SOMEONE GRAB THE PITCHFORKS and gamers happily went along for the ride without actually sitting down and thinking about it.
    Also while the DLC mission itself is tiny, the back ground that is covered in it plays a huge part towards the end of the story in that it gives pretty important information about the Reapers that otherwise comes totally out of the blue to players who didn't buy the DLC.
    While I haven't gotten that far yet, that is contrary to pretty much every user review I've seen thus far. The race is significant, his contribution to the game is not.
    You even agree the DLC character shouldn't exist from a lore point of view yet you seem to believe every word as 100% truth from a company that would pull such a money grabbing stunt :rolleyes:
    For 27 years Superman was deemed the last survivor of Krypton too after, you know, the entire planet blew up. Then in 1959 Supergirl was created. Things change. :)

And I'm not believing every word from the company, they're just confirming what I already know about how the process works.
    System shock 1+2
    Unreal
    Farcry 1+2
    Doom 3
    Quake 2
    HL1+2
    Crysis
    Halo

All those games took me a few days to complete unlike the few hours that MW1+2+3, Rage and other newer FPS games seem to take.
    HL1 and 2 took you days to complete? :confused:
    As for the last game where I felt like it was 60e down the drain, that would be Saints Row 3. I finish an open world game and would like to now mess around with some cheats but shock horror - the cheats are a DLC pack that had to be bought. And that pretty much has guaranteed that I will never ever buy another Saints Row, and am seriously considering giving future THQ/Volition titles a miss.
    You felt like it was €60 down the drain because the game didn't come with a fully featured cheat mode? Really?

On a series note, I can see a reason for that. A cheat mode in an open world game would be an utter nightmare to test for and ensure stability. The problem here is that the platform holders will not allow you to release a game or patch which crashes. When you start messing with a physics engine in a gmae like Saints Row and start having huge explosions, things can get messy. It wouldn't be a case of just toggling a few cheats, it would require some pretty rigorous control. Bearing this in mind, I can imagine a decent bit of time was spent getting this ready. Now, as I said above, a publisher/developer could charge for this. They have, after all, spent more time and money getting it ready however, as I said in a previous post, at some stage they should just suck it up and offer it to users as a thank you, perhaps those who bought the game new, as a thank you. So, are they being greedy? Not really. Are they giving customers that little extra? No. Solution: If you don't like being treated that way, don't buy the DLC. Tell your friends not to buy the DLC. And as you said, ask yourself whether you want to buy future games in the series.

EDIT: Oh yea, forgot about another point too. Do bear in mind that MS will not allow devs to release additional content on XBL for free. See the various Valve games released on consoles for more examples of this. This wouldn't apply to SR3 of course since they still charged £1.99 for it on Steam where no such restriction applies. :)

You felt like it was €60 down the drain because the game didn't come with a fully featured cheat mode? Really?

On a series note, I can see a reason for that. A cheat mode in an open world game would be an utter nightmare to test for and ensure stability. The problem here is that the platform holders will not allow you to release a game or patch which crashes. When you start messing with a physics engine in a gmae like Saints Row and start having huge explosions, things can get messy. It wouldn't be a case of just toggling a few cheats, it would require some pretty rigorous control. Bearing this in mind, I can imagine a decent bit of time was spent getting this ready. Now, as I said above, a publisher/developer could charge for this. They have, after all, spent more time and money getting it ready however, as I said in a previous post, at some stage they should just suck it up and offer it to users as a thank you, perhaps those who bought the game new, as a thank you. So, are they being greedy? Not really. Are they giving customers that little extra? No. Solution: If you don't like being treated that way, don't buy the DLC. Tell your friends not to buy the DLC. And as you said, ask yourself whether you want to buy future games in the series.

EDIT: Oh yea, forgot about another point too. Do bear in mind that MS will not allow devs to release additional content on XBL for free. See the various Valve games released on consoles for more examples of this. This wouldn't apply to SR3 of course since they still charged £1.99 for it on Steam where no such restriction applies. :)

GTA4 had cheats. So did Saints Row 1 & 2. Nothing but greed to blame for the fact they had a price tag in SR3. However, I'd estimate they have lost about €180-€240+ of future sales (depending on titles released which I'd have any interest in) from me alone. Now if there's many more people with a similar view to me, that's a pretty big ****ing mistake.

While I haven't gotten that far yet, that is contrary to pretty much every user review I've seen thus far. The race is significant, his contribution to the game is not.

1. Maybe YOU should play the game before YOU comment on what's true or not.

2. The DLC mission can be done right from the start of the game once you get control of the ship and can pick where you wish to go so again stop commenting on things you don't know about.

3. The DLC character tells you
    that his people believed the Reapers are in fact being controlled by someone/something
    which is a huge deal considering what the player learned in ME1+2.

GTA4 had cheats. So did Saints Row 1 & 2. Nothing but greed to blame for the fact they had a price tag in SR3. However, I'd estimate they have lost about €180-€240+ of future sales (depending on titles released which I'd have any interest in) from me alone. Now if there's many more people with a similar view to me, that's a pretty big ****ing mistake.
    GTAIV had a development budget the size of a small countries GDP, it's not really a fair comparison. It is true that Saints Row 1 & 2 had cheats though, perhaps I wasn't clear, if they did purposefully cut the cheat mode then yes, it's pure greed but there are other factors to consider. Given the fact that the scale of the game was reduced over SR2, perhaps their budget was reduced? Maybe they were falling behind in development and couldn't afford to extend it anymore? It's not like THQ are exactly rolling in cash and since SR3 was one of their few big sellers during the year and they needed it out for the holidays, one of the above explanations is certainly plausible.
    1. Maybe YOU should play the game before YOU comment on what's true or not.

2. The DLC mission can be done right from the start of the game once you get control of the ship and can pick where you wish to go so again stop commenting on things you don't know about.

3. The DLC character tells you
    that his people believed the Reapers are in fact being controlled by someone/something
    which is a huge deal considering what the player learned in ME1+2.
    Well a) I am playing the game and b) I specifically referred to the myriad of user reviews I'd read, not least a bunch of references to it on Boards, not my own opinion on it. If it turns out that it's significant then I'm quite sure you'll see my furious reply on the ME3 thread. In fact, if you look back you'll see an earlier post of mine where I was angry with it, then I read said reviews. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its not all F2p. WoW is still the market leader and has a subscription fee even tho its lost a few million subs over the last year. GW2 is the only new big name MMO coming out that is B2P as The Secret World is both subscription + cash shop and I'v heard nothing regarding Tera.

The only MMO's that go F2P are really old ones EQ2 and LOTRO or the likes of AoC, Warhammer, CO, STO, DCU and Aion which all crashed and burned at release due to being for the most part utter crap.

Well lets see how long any new subscription based MMO's last before they go F2P as well. Star Wars and WoW are the last of a dying breed and from what I've heard on RPG podcasts I'm not the only one that thinks so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Thats total BS, you have marginal extra coding for cheats. Your simply re assigning already in game assests and at worst utilizing the physics engine to high levels. EG gta4 infinte RPGs, the physics engine was already coded to handle the objects being flung about by and RPG the volume of those calculations doesnt matter.

The only time a cheat requires signifigant coding is when the cheat involves gameplay , objects or features that were not included in the main game bacuase it means you hav to code specifically for the new assets , features or gameplay.

Also anyone enabling a cheat on a game knows you may end up with glitches already, thats why most wait until the game is complete to do so.

SR2 having cheats as DLC is a cash grab from a failing developer trying to claw back money from one of (if not its biggest) titles of that year and frankly it didnt work. They marketed the living sh1te out of that game and it didnt do stellar sales at all. THQ are gone by years end and hopefully other companies will see that practices like that just dont work.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Thats total BS, you have marginal extra coding for cheats. Your simply re assigning already in game assests and at worst utilizing the physics engine to high levels. EG gta4 infinte RPGs, the physics engine was already coded to handle the objects being flung about by and RPG the volume of those calculations doesnt matter.

The only time a cheat requires signifigant coding is when the cheat involves gameplay , objects or features that were not included in the main game bacuase it means you hav to code specifically for the new assets , features or gameplay.
    Having worked on engines doing this in the past, I can tell you for certain it is not bs.
    Also anyone enabling a cheat on a game knows you may end up with glitches already, thats why most wait until the game is complete to do so.
    While the user probably realises this, and they'd be quite correct to do so, it will more than likely fail certification when passed to the platform holders. This is why it would need additional levels of work and stress testing.
    SR2 having cheats as DLC is a cash grab from a failing developer trying to claw back money from one of (if not its biggest) titles of that year and frankly it didnt work. They marketed the living sh1te out of that game and it didnt do stellar sales at all. THQ are gone by years end and hopefully other companies will see that practices like that just dont work.
    I certainly agree with the last bit, the required time should have been allowed during the main development to ship this with the game and not leave it for DLC, just like they did with the previous games. I've given you the technical reasoning but I can only make assumptions as to others. For all I know a decision was made to cut it, I'm just not sure enough to start calling them greedy bastards. :)

EDIT: I'd be perfectly happy to discuss who I do think are greedy bastards though if you'd like. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Angry joe is pretty well...ANGRY the fact with Capcom lock on disk content with Street Fighter x Tekken

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Multinational corporation in shock development attempts to exploit consumers for financial gain! More on this as it develops.

If you don't like these models, simply do not support them. It's the only way it's going to make a difference (although I have repeatedly refused to invest in DLC, and that's still knocking around :pac:). As long as they make money, models of this sort will flourish and only increase in prominence. There is no conspiracy here, like there is no evil conspiracy in the countless similar examples (usually based on throwaway comments and conjecture) that have popped up in these forums recently.

There's a sense of entitlement amongst gamers you won't find in discourse elsewhere. Like Hollywood is constantly going to provide you with regurgitated crap (the 'good' blockbusters are very much an exception these days), the big blockbuster publishers have no personal investment in entertaining you, the customer, unless it negatively impacts upon their profit margins.

Games these days cost an awful lot of money to develop, with gamers constantly demanding bigger games, bigger explosions, prettier graphics and more setpieces. This comes at the cost of length: it is not feasible for a developer to fulfill all of gamers' contradictory wishes in the FPS of all genres. And, as I've argued before (as have others like gizmo) it seems that there's a misconception that a game that's 'only' eight hours long is an inherently flawed thing. Imagine you applied such logic to cinema, a piece of music or a novel! I'd rather eight hours of variety than twenty of corridor shooting. Heck, some developers have shown themselves incapable of rendering even a six hour game that isn't chock-a-block with repetition and recycled ideas. They're doing us a favour cutting it short.

We bemoan the popularity of CoD style games: brief SP, over-stuffed MP. And yet these games make millions: leaving their lengthy, ambitious competitors coughing in a trail of sparkling prestige medals and overpriced map packs. They must emulate the winner in order to stand a chance of getting back in the race.

EA is a corporation (albeit one that has distributed countless fine games in the past and present). They will **** you over as long as you let them, much like 20th Century Fox is ****ing you over when you buy a ticket to Transformers 3 even though the previous films were steaming turds devoid of any sort of merit. We support these business tactics: we buy their DLC, we encourage their profit-hungry business tactics, we encourage a resistance to innovation, originality and newness. 'They' are only one enemy: we are the other. And we aggressively voice our concerns on the internet, always forgetting that it will never make one shred of difference as long as a majority (or profitable minority) pay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Angry joe is pretty well...ANGRY the fact with Capcom lock on disk content with Street Fighter x Tekken

I'm all falavoured off pissed off about this myself too (and I'm sure there'll be some venting on my behalf on our next podcast). Ive been a Street Fighter fan since the arcade days, and I genuinely feel cheated with this. My retort? Buy the game second hand as a big Feck You to Capcom!

Speaking of Capcom and the aforementioned greedy bastards, Street Fighter x Tekken on-disc DLC character bundle costs 1600MSP/$20. As I said before, I have no real issue with it being on the disc, especially given the sheer number of characters the main game ships with, but the mere pricing of this bundle is absolutely outrageous. Add to that the combined 2080msp cost for the additional costumes and you have a company who seem to have completely lost the plot with this release. I had been considering picking it up as more of a curiosity since I already have SFIV and MvC3 but there's no way in hell that's going to happen now.

Sidenote: Finally got around to doing the From Ashes DLC last night, completed that and had the long conversation with
    Javik
    . So far, my original opinion still stands, it's the very definition of fan service, just a bit of additional lore explored but no real bearing on the story. No real problem with it being DLC but it most definitely should have at least been like the Cerberus Network for ME2, free for those who purchased the game new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Speaking of Capcom and the aforementioned greedy bastards, Street Fighter x Tekken on-disc DLC character bundle costs 1600MSP/$20. As I said before, I have no real issue with it being on the disc, especially given the sheer number of characters the main game ships with, but the mere pricing of this bundle is absolutely outrageous. Add to that the combined 2080msp cost for the additional costumes and you have a company who seem to have completely lost the plot with this release. I had been considering picking it up as more of a curiosity since I already have SFIV and MvC3 but there's no way in hell that's going to happen now.

Sidenote: Finally got around to doing the From Ashes DLC last night, completed that and had the long conversation with
    Javik
    . So far, my original opinion still stands, it's the very definition of fan service, just a bit of additional lore explored but no real bearing on the story. No real problem with it being DLC but it most definitely should have at least been like the Cerberus Network for ME2, free for those who purchased the game new.

still taking in account aswell that all dlc characters are advailable for vita , why not consoles

still taking in account aswell that all dlc characters are advailable for vita , why not consoles
    Probably because Sony paid them a buttload of cash to have them ship unlocked on the Vita version to promote the platform. The fact that they're being held back on the 360/PS3 until after the release of the Vita version is a good indicator of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Just to point out that with that paid DLC (that you don't have to buy. Lets remember that) Capcom are also coming out with a load of free DLC for the game.

I don't see your issue with the bundle pricing. For 12 characters and presumably balancing it's 1600. That's not too bad for an update which nearly makes a new game. Also the balancing thus far is free so you stay up to date without buying the characters so it's a good improvement on previous Capcom outings where you have to purchase the Super Duper Ultimate Apology Edition.

The costume pricing is also really good in that the main bundle means that each costume costs about 50 MSP or if you don't want to splash out on all the costumes you can pick and choose your new costumes for 80MSP. Seems like a fine deal.

Advertisement