Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs....

Options
  • 13-03-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Right, I'm ****in sick of lag with wireless xbox connections.
    I have to use wireless because I live in a shared Georgian house with seven apartments all connected to a wireless router in the hallway. Fair enough the router is only 10ft from my living room, in the main foyer... still it's ****e.

I have tried to set up a direct LAN line with the router; cable out my door and spanning across the hall floorway (or under the carpet), but the brittle-bone 'Unlucky Alf' retards upstairs nearly got me kicked out for it. "Ooooh!, We'll trip and break our pelvises...etc", kunts. Anyway.

SFxT is ****ing impossible with this connect. Underwater and rollbacks all over the shop. The netcode for SFIVae seems a lot better imo. Even then, I dare'nt go on ranked coz playing Blanka I am in 1fr link territory most of the time. I should be a frikken A rank, but because of the 'special needs' connection I'm barely a 'B'. In short, it's ruining my life.

Enter Homeplugs; http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/diagrams.html

Anyone know which type to get? Anyone use them?

Basically, they send the internet via the hurty wire in yur house, lag free, seen as electrons are agnostic where it comes to a believeance in 'the great lag in the sky'.

Tips? Cheers.

*puts TE stick through wall*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

• Registered Users Posts: 4 autotwilo

I use homeplugs, they work great pretty much. Mine are some generic brand, the main thing you want is to make sure it's rated 200Mbps or better.
    NetGear make some nice ones

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Darachnid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I use these ones and they're WAY better than the wireless connection I used to use.

@Zapp: Nice looking yokes, stylish.

The ones I got say they are pretty small too. Small enough to hide behind a potted hydrangea in the hallway; lest the octogenarian gimps upstairs call the 'Bomb Squad' or summink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

will it make much difference if 7 people are all banging away on the net anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

see if you can get onto the router.
    there may be the option to throttle/set limits on other users via thier mac addresses.
    evil

I'm no systems admin, but, I have access to the routers homepage. I've set priority for Xbox live, opened qos for it and set firewall to low. All not really helping much. So this throttling stuff eh? Explain more... (Strokes cat).

The offending article: homepage.eircom.net/~seanmcintyre/images/router.gif

@Bush: not sure man, have to wait until these homeplugs arrive. Hopefully will make it better. We only have a 8mb down .5mb up line here, but it's free so can't complain. The ping on wireless is 32ms. The ping is the important part, and is less on a wired connect. That's what I'm aiming towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Well a ping of 32 should play perfectly. Doesn't sounds like a wireless connection is the problem. Have you been checking the ping regularly though? If other people are on the Router all it takes is one horny dude next door choking his chicken to Paris Hilton and your links are going to be done for. Can you not get your own personal broadband connection into your flat through an UPC connection or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

yeah 32 is fine response for ping but latency is another matter.
    sorry dont know settings off hand for settings those netopia router dude.
    maybe it cant be done on them.
    qos is usually the spot where you can throttle stuff.you can usually find other folks mac adresses in logs.use traffic sniffing software
    to find ports the feckers are using for torrents etc and then throttle em in router settings
    when playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Hey Darachnid, not sure if it's feasible given that you're not the account holder, but try calling (or have the landlord call) the ISP and asking them to switch off something called Interleaving on your line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaving (Check the bottom of the article)

It's designed as a QoS feature to reduce errors during data transmission and ensure the bulk of data packets are decoded correctly with minimal breaks at the destination but can increase latency. Doing this on my 8MB Vodafone line dropped my ping from mid 40's to an average of 18-22 and decreased overall latency.

May well help your latency issues, but I can't make any promises. Wll keep my fingers crossed for you anyhoo.

Cheers all for tips. AeoGrim, I will try that.

Btw, got the homeplugs today. Plugged them in an then had an Einstein moment of clarity:

My apartment has it's own meter/bill and thus it's own electrical circuit. It's own 'isolated' electrical circuit. 'Isolated'. Doh!

I need to inconspicuously 'bridge' the two circuits somehow.

Right... Beer and drill needed, in no particular order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Darachnid wrote: »

I need to inconspicuously 'bridge' the two circuits somehow.

Right... Beer and drill needed, in no particular order.

I look forward to pictures of the results :D

This is such a pain in the medulla oblongata.

I'm not convinced I've set it up correctly yet; I'm trying to set up a virtual homeplug setup in my apartment by bridging my laptops wifi and lan port then using a crossover lan cable to homeplug 'A', which is plugged into a socket in my sitting room. Then I plug homeplug 'B' into a socket in my bedroom.

Still not getting a connected light.

Windows 7, wifi/lan bridging might be set up wrong?

Even when I plug the routers lan into homeplug 'A' in the hallway and homeplug 'B' into a separate socket in the hallway there is no connection light.

Maybe the routers Ethernet ports are disabled?

Even if it worked in the hallway scenario I'd be happy at this stage.

Just a thought.... In the virtual Sitttingroom/Bedroom bridged connection scenario do I really need a crossover lan cable or will a normal patched cable work?

Arrrgghh, brain pop.

Ok, got it working. Both devices connected to the homeplugs need to be turned on to connect. I was just going by the lights on the homeplugs themselves.

So my apartment circuit must be connected at some point, down in the basement, to the main supply... the electrons are crossing the border like little mexicans down at the main fusebox or something. Sweet.

Although, check out these results now:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1838400473.png

**** that for a laugh.

Damn this 100+ year old house, the wiring must be 98% rust. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Move house TBH
    ;)

Right so, back to Xbox360 wireless connections..... Would there be any point getting a wireless 'N' type accessory for the Xbox over a wireless 'G' model, which is my current.

I just plugged my laptop via Lan into the router and did a ping test on pingtest.net;

38ms with 2% jitter.

Then back to my apartment with Wireless 'N' connect:

40ms with 4% jitter.

There is no way to tell what the Xbox stats are with Wireless 'G', the Xbox setting menu is devoid of that type of wizardry apparently.

'N' has more bandwidth over 'G', but I'm not sure if bandwidth is the problem.

Any ideas about Wireless 'N' instead of Wireless 'G' in terms of better online gaming? Or is the Eircom internet connection in this house just muck anyways?

If there was only an app in Xbox marketplace to measure 'Lag' it would be sweet. Pity there isn't.

"If you upgrade to the new Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter from the old, 802.11g version, you won't notice any difference while gaming.";

http://gizmodo.com/5411279/xbox-360-wireless-n-adapter-review

*Insert swearword here*

• Advertisement

Although, on the plus side I still have lots of beers and a drill. Anyone up for a novel drinking game...?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Please remember to use the correct drill bit, or you'll be swearing even more when it explodes in your face.

k, cheers Kokinoodle. ;)

So, Quality of Service, Custom Flows. WTF?

Tell me how to config this page?
    http://192.168.1.254/indexExptCfgRES.htm?DiffServCirc?1

Does anyone know? Do I have to call Angela Merkel... again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A crazy idea I know, but for a nominal monthly fee you could have your own internet connection.

Advertisement