Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Shower HELP

Options
  • 13-03-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So I have taken on the task of organising my sister-in-law's baby shower. I bought loads of amazing decor and goodies online, but now it comes to the gift.... and i need help!

I know that she wants to express, and while some may consider this a very personal thing, do you think it's too personal to buy her a good quality breast pump? It's definitely something she needs, but am i overstepping the boundary?

I found an online store that's offering 10% off Medela Pumps, so the price seems good - but are they good quality?

http://www.greenhealth.ie/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=48&Itemid=2&TreeId=24

And please, just excuse my ignorance *blush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Wow, what a lovely sister in law to be organising all of that! :)

If I were your sister I would prefer to be asked if she had a particular model in mind and that you had hoped to buy it for her. I'm sure she will be delighted. I found practical gifts to be the ones I really appreciated over clothes and teddies etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

The medula swing is a great pump that I would recommend. If she has actually said that she want's to pump than I don't think you would be overstepping the boundary. Saying that considering a 10% discount isn't actually that much money maybe it's worth getting it in a baby shop rather than online so that if she doesn't want it, or has decided on another brand, she could exchange it for something else. Either way it's great that you want to get her something she has actually said she'd use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Will you be my sister-in-law, pretty please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Mink wrote: »
    Will you be my sister-in-law, pretty please :D

i second that one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Medela do great pumps, but they are quite expensive and it would be a terrible waste if, for whatever reason, she didn't end up using it. I knew I wanted to breastfeed when I was pregnant, but didn't want to take the chance of buying an expensive pump. I didn't express until the wee man was 5 weeks old and for the first few days I used a cheapy manual pump, just to get the hang of it. Luckily, I had told some of the in-laws that a perfect gift would be Bo*ts vouchers and I used them when I knew I would get the use out of the Medela - I have a great sis-in-law too:D!

That's just my experience, I suppose I'm just cautious, but I've seen lots of friends who started off adamant that they would breastfeed, but ended up not continuing for a variety of reasons. I don't think you're overstepping the mark by the way, just concerned you might spend a lot on something that she may never use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement