Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the irish & litter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Dudess wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. And fair play to you for having such knowledge to be able to compare "us" with all other nations.

I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't possible to find any other nation with as many simpering self-loathing types all right though...
    Its hard to be sure where anyone is from on the internet. Comments like "the Irish are a dirty race" are pretty much illegal due to their racist content, and I've reported the post in question. You can't say "Nigerians are a dirty race" either. And boards sadly seems to be a magnet for these simpletons.

Oho and interesting sidebar Dudess, remember we were talking about that "No Irish" advert in Australia the other day, as far as Northern Ireland went? Well guess where the person responsible for putting the ad up came from? :D Yes, the most racist place on earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

who remembers that scene in Father Ted of two priests walking along havin a chat, and then casually flinging their paper cups over their shoulders :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

eth0 wrote: »
    Cause you spot one fella throwing away a wrapper all school children and all Irish people are bad. You're talking shoite

Just look at the state of place will ya.

Sh*te everywhere.

It's more than one person.

What annoys me is all your taxes are paying to clean up the place when the cash could be going to better use nowadays, disgrace.

So yeah, the government needs to get on the case, create a revenue stream by dishing out some serious fines. That's the only thing that people understand, a hit on the paypacket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

it's simple really. Irish children face no consequences for anything they do. Mess up in school and they give you a few days off to think about what you did. Commit a crime and receive a juvenile caution. Do what you want at home and your parents will bring you to a psychologist where you will likely be diagnosed with being ADHD or some other misdiagnosis. And don't worry if your parents try to discipline you at all. Ring the HSE or childline and pretend to be a victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Meh - Who cares ?
    It'll just blow onto someone else's land.

You'll be dead in the next 30 - 70 yrs depening on what age you are so who cares ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its hard to be sure where anyone is from on the internet. Comments like "the Irish are a dirty race" are pretty much illegal due to their racist content, and I've reported the post in question. You can't say "Nigerians are a dirty race" either. And boards sadly seems to be a magnet for these simpletons.

Oho and interesting sidebar Dudess, remember we were talking about that "No Irish" advert in Australia the other day, as far as Northern Ireland went? Well guess where the person responsible for putting the ad up came from? :D Yes, the most racist place on earth.
    Wha???

You reported my post???

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

The key word i used in my first post in the thread was us Irish including everyone in the country. (I would love to leave beautiful Cork out but alas Knocka leaves us down as they are all dirty up that part) I have done more then my fair share of travelling around Europe and the way every major city is kept clean and looked after puts us to shame. I hate having to point this out as i love the fact i am Irish(Cork by grace of God) but we are mere muck savages to our more refined and cosmopolitan European neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

fryup wrote: »
    he gave me the.................two fingers :cool:

He gave you half his Kit Kat and you're giving out about him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

RichieC wrote: »
    Call dublin police station, I'm sure they'll put their best detective on it.
    They cant, he's just been fined €500 and disqualified from driving for two years for dangerous driving on the m50 after a drink fuelled afternoon in the pub watching the rugby!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I don't get what being Irish has to do with it???

If you remove the whole "Irish" thing from the littering issue, I'd agree with you. I can't stand littering, shows a certain amount of ignorance and disrespect, but even worse is that it's so widespread the majority of people accept it.

I disagree, the Irish thing has a lot to do with it unfortunately... Just read a few of the comments on here and you'll know what I mean. People think littering isn't a big deal here. Maybe things have improved a bit but if you compare with some other countries in Europe Ireland has a long way to go until we're nearly litter-free...

Just go to any beach or park after a sunny day, for example. The amount of idiots that leave their rubbish behind although there is a bin every 100 metres around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

i'm not takin shoite:rolleyes:

there always been a litter problem in this country

Have you considered upping your fiber intake??

So you reported a post as being racist for making a generalisation about Ireland, which is a complete misunderstanding of the word racist btw, and then go on to make your own generalisation of Northern Ireland as the most racist place on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

It's insinuations like this that have men in a place where we're now totally uncomfortable to be around children by ourselves in case we're accused of something. Thankfully I've no interaction with children however f*cked up attitudes like yours mean great parents and role models are now actively steering clear of interacting with kids in case some freak like you comes along with your "guilty until proven innocent" attitude towards men.

94? Ah so you're only a little 18 year old kid yourself then. Cop yourself on and grow up.

Calm the f*ck down please, keep your knickers up sir. Growing up in 2 different centuries, 2 decades and with the influence of internet around us, 18 year ''kids'' like myself are quite familiar to a thing called 'sarcasm'. It's a thing that is appreciated by many people around us but some sensitive ....erm.. people might get offended. If thats the case then I'm sorry for hurting your sensitive little masculine feelings. :)

Show Time wrote: »
    As a nation you will never find another quite as dirty as us Irish.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    So you reported a post as being racist for making a generalisation about Ireland, which is a complete misunderstanding of the word racist btw,
    You do understand that saying the Irish are a dirty nation is not acceptable, right?
    and then go on to make your own generalisation of Northern Ireland as the most racist place on the planet.
    And another one runs face first into it. I should start charging for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But Doc, even if stats prove it, to say stuff along the lines of "Well they're from Northern Ireland, most racist place on earth - what do you expect" is still using that study as a stick to beat people from N.I. with, when plenty aren't racist.

It's insinuations like this that have men in a place where we're now totally uncomfortable to be around children by ourselves in case we're accused of something. Thankfully I've no interaction with children however f*cked up attitudes like yours mean great parents and role models are now actively steering clear of interacting with kids in case some freak like you comes along with your "guilty until proven innocent" attitude towards men.

94? Ah so you're only a little 18 year old kid yourself then. Cop yourself on and grow up.

Calm the f*ck down please, keep your knickers up sir. Growing up in 2 different centuries, 2 decades and with the influence of internet around us, 18 year ''kids'' like myself are quite familiar to a thing called 'sarcasm'. It's a thing that is appreciated by many people around us but some sensitive ....erm.. people might get offended. If thats the case then I'm sorry for hurting your sensitive little masculine feelings. :)
    Yeah I just assumed you were joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 curlymo

Love going to the cinema. Its a great way of relaxing. After enjoying a good film I get really upset leaving the cinema when I see the amount of empty cartons of popcorn, drinks etc that people "mostly adults" leave behind. It really bugs me. Last May I went to the cinema with some friends and low and behold one of the girls left her empty drink cup behind. I told her in a nice way to take it with her and put it in bin. Well I started on her about the mentality of people that they feel they can afford to leave rubbish behind as there is always someone else to pick up after them. Thats why our county is so littered with likeminded people. Her answer to me which was quite funny was. We had been out for a meal earlier and her answer was "Do you want me to go back to the restaurant and clear the table as well".

Would like to know what happens all the stuff that is picked up in the cinemas. Most of the stuff could be recycled so I wonder if it is.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I disagree, the Irish thing has a lot to do with it.
    Just go to any beach or park after a sunny day, for example. The amount of idiots that leave their rubbish behind although there is a bin every 100 metres around...

that really irks me more than litter in a town centre,

why can't people take their rubbish home with them is it too much to ask??

But Doc, even if stats prove it, to say stuff along the lines of "Well they're from Northern Ireland, most racist place on earth - what do you expect" is still using that study as a stick to beat people from N.I. with, when plenty aren't racist.
    Well if someone comes in with racist comments or indeed advertisements, and happens to be from Northern Ireland, I'm going to stick with the odds and say "what do you expect". Its not a reasonable position to take the two facts in isolation, and these attitudes aren't going to be consigned to the trash can (hur) by turning a blind eye.

And consigned they must be.

Incidentally I'm not saying everyone from the north is racist, far from it. At least 56% of them are unlikely to be. But anytime theres a thread about Irish people, sure enough you see the same types lurching out of the woodwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"We" sh1t is like a ****ing epidemic. Some folks here really need to speak for themselves.
    There are litterers anywhere in the world - I know some Irish people get an orgasm out of putting down their own countryfolk, but it's not just an Irish thing. It's really not. Yes, some countries have better sanitation systems to deal with those who would otherwise litter - but "We're a dirty race"? No, most of "we" are not. A few cleaner cities around Europe doesn't mean "You'll never find a race dirtier than the Irish" either or that we're largely unsophisticated muck-savages. God, it must suck to have such an inferiority complex. Do the "we" merchants include themselves though? Kinda arrogant if they don't.

Anyway, John Hurt has just given birth to the Alien...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

smokedeels wrote: »
    Smoke butts don't seem to be considered litter in Ireland, I find that strange.

I don't think Irish attitudes to litter are any different to British ones, although there aren't loads of of plastic bags littering the (ROI) countryside due to the bag tax.

As for smoke butts, I saw a woman being told off for smoking in a Liverpool indoor shopping centre a few years ago, so she she apologised then (presumably out of habit) threw it on the ground and put it out with her foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Well if someone comes in with racist comments or indeed advertisements, and happens to be from Northern Ireland, I'm going to stick with the odds and say "what do you expect". Its not a reasonable position to take the two facts in isolation, and these attitudes aren't going to be consigned to the trash can (hur) by turning a blind eye.

And consigned they must be.

Incidentally I'm not saying everyone from the north is racist, far from it. At least 56% of them are unlikely to be. But anytime theres a thread about Irish people, sure enough you see the same types lurching out of the woodwork.

Is it Groundhog Day?

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    Is it Groundhog Day?
    Some places do seem to be stuck in a time warp alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What is it with some irish people who seem to have a total lack of respect for their surroundings.

I saw a school kid today unwrap a chocolate bar and threw the wrapper over his shoulder without a second thought. All the school kids throw litter around and some adults aren't much better.

Is it to do with our DNA our ingrained disrespect for authority and rules??

I mean the irish always say how much they love their country so why don't they show it by not messing it up.

Never go to New York man, it's a messy bollix of a place.

When i was a kid the Tidy Towns was a big thing in my home town, it's kind of carried over in that I find it impossible to just drop rubbish on the ground, if i can't find a bin i'll just pop it in my bag or whatever till i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It comes down to one simple thing : mismanagement of the country by decades of useless governments.

1) No enforcement / poor enforcement of litter laws. A bit of community service might work!

2) No bins in many areas. There are plenty of towns where there's not a single litter bin on many streets.

3) Lack of road cleaning / sweeping in urban areas, particularly on Sundays. But it's no where NEAR as frequently cleaned as it is on the continent or the UK.

4) Very high waste charges and privatisation of waste collection services on a for-profit-basis has resulted in a spate of illegal dumping of household waste.

5) In some areas, e.g Cork City, recycling is placed in clear plastic bags. These blow all over the place (local authority not thinking about consequences of choice of technology!)

6) Lack of proper local government structures. Our local government system needs massive reform to make it accountable and relevant. As it stands, it's basically under-resourced and a very weak democratic mandate to do anything.

You do understand that saying the Irish are a dirty nation is not acceptable, right?

My sister in law is not Irish and has been coming to Ireland the last ten years. Her first major impression of Ireland was the fact there is dirt and rubbish everywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roREnVhd_og#t=1m30s

Doc Ruby - your tag line couldn't be less appropriate :D

Her first major impression of Ireland was the fact there is dirt and rubbish everywhere.

Fact is a milk carton thrown on the side of the road in Ireland is going to look a lot bigger than in the middle of the Gobi desert.

It's all a matter of perspective, size and ratio.

Yes. Nobody likes being told what to do. When the only argument presented is 'don't do this because we said so', who is actually going to listen? There are plenty of reasons why people shouldn't litter and you somehow managed to present the only one which makes people litter out of spite.

Fact is a milk carton thrown on the side of the road in Ireland is going to look a lot bigger than in the middle of the Gobi desert.

It's all a matter of perspective, size and ratio.
    It is more then one milk carton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Chewing gum on O'Connell street and other streets around Dublin is the worst.
    I think they're gonna come up with a gum that dissloves in 24 hrs though leaving the pavements pristine, which will help.

It is more then one milk carton.

Eh yeah, that's my point.

Let me put it another way.

Carrantuohill looks big in Ireland but stick it in the Andes and its just a hill.

In another words if we produced smaller milk cartons we could just fire them away to hearts content as nobody would see them.

Same goes for Tayto bags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

On my typical walk to work or to the shops i see the odd person spitting on the street when im walking behind them goin the same way. Tbh thats disgusting
    As well as that, a lot of bins seem to be full with domestic waste, as in people coming along putting their household waste into public bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A guy spat like that one day and the wind blew and it hit me on the leg.

I absolutely tore him apart (verbally).

I've never seen anyone so embarrassed in his entire life. His G/F was with him looking at him in absolute disgust at him and pretending not to know him! She actually walked off.

I also remember being on a school tour where we ended up in Paris and a group of lads were spitting on the street. The shocked look of passers by was really cringe-worthy. Then a police officer asked them to stop doing that or face being fined / arrested.

I find in Ireland, the major problem tends to be 'feral youth'. It's similar in the UK too. They just do not give a damn.

I heard a piece about people's experiences of having lived in Ireland for a few years (recent immigrants) on RTE this morning and one of the amazing things is they keep saying that adults are really nice, friendly, polite etc but that young people are the ones who are doing crazy things like giving racist abuse to people!

I really do think there's something seriously wrong with aspects of our youth 'culture' here at the moment. There's just a total lack of a sense of social responsibility / respect for others from *some* (not all) teenagers. I'm sure a big part of it is that there are just absolutely no consequences to what amounts to criminal behaviour.

We need some serious community service orders to be used in cases of youth public order offenses like this.

Spending 20 weekends in town with your chewing gum scraper or picking fast-food bags out of hedges would deal with a lot of this kind of stuff.

This is you arguing against generalisation based on country of origin (not racism)

This is you generalising based on country of origin. It doesn't really matter if you have something to back it up, you are still generalising based solely on country of origin.

If you can't see the hypocrisy in that then there's little hope for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

"
    There are litterers anywhere in the world - [...] it's not just an Irish thing. It's really not. Yes, some countries have better sanitation systems to deal with those who would otherwise litter - but "We're a dirty race"? No, most of "we" are not. A few cleaner cities around Europe doesn't mean "You'll never find a race dirtier than the Irish" either or that we're largely unsophisticated muck-savages.

Anyway, John Hurt has just given birth to the Alien...

I don't agree with blanket statements in either direction. I don't think all Irish people are litterers etc. It's not just an Irish thing, in the UK it's bad enough as well as far as I can tell. But at the same time I do think attitudes towards littering here are very different than they are, say, in Scandinavian countries or Germany, for example. Have you ever been to a public park, train station, beach etc. over there? They are absolutely spotless most of the time. Also, the majority of people there have more pride in their immediate environment and don't want to ruin it by dropping their chocolate wrappers and lucozade bottles wherever the f**k they feel like...
    Someone said something earlier about people thinking someone will pick up after them... it's true, at least for some Irish people. Everytime there was a sunny day in the college I used to be in, the students would sit around on the green and so did I. The difference between me and them was, I picked up after myself. Every time this happened campus security ended up cleaning up after loads of lazy feckers that were not bothered enough... So much for hoping that educating people will help preventing the problem... Loads of smartass students dont give a s**t either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

This is you arguing against generalisation based on country of origin (not racism)

This is you generalising based on country of origin. It doesn't really matter if you have something to back it up, you are still generalising based solely on country of origin.

If you can't see the hypocrisy in that then there's little hope for you.

Ah here, I wouldn't bother. Let him go on. Life's too short to talk to people with unpleasant prejudices.

Eh yeah, that's my point.

Let me put it another way.

Carrantuohill looks big in Ireland but stick it in the Andes and its just a hill.

In another words if we produced smaller milk cartons we could just fire them away to hearts content as nobody would see them.

Same goes for Tayto bags.
    Spot on i was agreeing with you first time one this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

this guys cries when u dump litter

cody.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Any of you posters involved in your local Tidy Towns?

I am and an expert in Litter......

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

We are a dirty race

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

What is it with some irish people who seem to have a total lack of respect for their surroundings.

I saw a school kid today unwrap a chocolate bar and threw the wrapper over his shoulder without a second thought. All the school kids throw litter around and some adults aren't much better.

I mean the irish always say how much they love their country so why don't they show it by not messing it up.

Why were you sitting outside a school in your car, watching children at lunch time.......

Sure you're no better, polluting the air with your exhaust fumes and then giving out about a child littering, oh the irony * rollseyes *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

curlymo wrote: »
    Love going to the cinema. Its a great way of relaxing. After enjoying a good film I get really upset leaving the cinema when I see the amount of empty cartons of popcorn, drinks etc that people "mostly adults" leave behind. It really bugs me. Last May I went to the cinema with some friends and low and behold one of the girls left her empty drink cup behind. I told her in a nice way to take it with her and put it in bin. Well I started on her about the mentality of people that they feel they can afford to leave rubbish behind as there is always someone else to pick up after them. Thats why our county is so littered with likeminded people. Her answer to me which was quite funny was. We had been out for a meal earlier and her answer was "Do you want me to go back to the restaurant and clear the table as well".

Littering in the cinema?? Are you insane? After every show a team of people go in and clean it up. There are no bins provided in the cinema (only in the foyer). And yes, like the was said, should you clean the table after you in a restaurant too??!

When you pay for the cinema you are paying for that team to clean up and put that stuff in the bin and recycle popcorn etc. What is the difference between that person putting it in the bin and you putting it in the bin??

If you were entering a cinema like that fair enough, but leaving? Some people have little to get annoyed about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

There something about driving on a nice windy country road, rolling down the window, waiting until your out of sight and throwing a crisp packet out the window :D Really gets the adrenaline going if another car comes round a bend just after you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There something about driving on a nice windy country road, rolling down the window, waiting until your out of sight and throwing a crisp packet out the window :D Really gets the adrenline going if another car comes round a bend just after you do it.
    I bet when you registered on boards.ie ,you had this thread in mind and 'Now '...this is your big moment .

Just watch out when that battered mars bar wrapper you threw out the car window blows back in your face .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Latchy wrote: »
    I bet when you registered on boards.ie ,you had this thread in mind and 'Now '...this is your big moment .

Just watch out when that battered mars bar wrapper you threw out the car window blows back in your face .

I didn't realise AH was the serious part of Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I didn't realise AH was the serious part of Boards.
    It can be anything ya want it to be ( even with the more serious topics ) but I did see your smiley :D

I just forgot to leave mine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I live in London and the litter problem is a disgrace. Every day on my way home the kids from the local schools get fried chicken legs and chips and they just throw the bones on the ground. Then every morning there's chicken bones all over the path, fuukin rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

They should rename it Cork Sh1tty due to the inordinate amount of dog poo on the pavements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Why were you sitting outside a school in your car, watching children at lunch time.......

Sure you're no better, polluting the air with your exhaust fumes and then giving out about a child littering, oh the irony * rollseyes *

They have a smiley for that one now Stiffler. :D
    foxyboxer wrote: »
    They should rename it Cork Sh1tty due to the inordinate amount of dog poo on the pavements.

I never noticed this when I was there tbh and also never had any sh1tty shoes incidents either. Is it in general in Cork or just in some places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Linoge wrote: »
    Littering in the cinema?? Are you insane? After every show a team of people go in and clean it up. There are no bins provided in the cinema (only in the foyer). And yes, like the was said, should you clean the table after you in a restaurant too??!

When you pay for the cinema you are paying for that team to clean up and put that stuff in the bin and recycle popcorn etc. What is the difference between that person putting it in the bin and you putting it in the bin??

If you were entering a cinema like that fair enough, but leaving? Some people have little to get annoyed about...

Its manners to take your rubbish and to put it into the bin, any cinema I've been to has a bin near the door in each screen.

Manners cost need, no need to go through life treating whatever space you are in as a pig stye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Its manners to take your rubbish and to put it into the bin, any cinema I've been to has a bin near the door in each screen.

Manners cost need, no need to go through life treating whatever space you are in as a pig stye.

And you would be right if a team of teenagers didn't go in and take that rubbish from the cup holder and put it into a rubbish back literally after the film ended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement