Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the irish & litter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The litter problem will never be solved until people take responsibility for their actions.

Firstly this needs to be ingrained in kids from the moment they enter the education system. Even if the kids parents are stupid, which can be the case unfortunately, hopefully the kid will learn not to litter.

Secondly the Department of Environment need to finally get serious and once and for all eradicate this scourge. This means employing more litter wardens, higher fines and actually implementing the litter laws. Yes we can afford to do this.

Anybody caught fly tipping should have to community service of a thousand hours cleaning up litter.

Irish people are a disgrace when it comes to litter. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Linoge wrote: »
    Littering in the cinema?? Are you insane? After every show a team of people go in and clean it up. There are no bins provided in the cinema (only in the foyer).

There is always a bin near the door in any cinema I have been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Mickey H wrote: »
    They have a smiley for that one now Stiffler. :D

I never noticed this when I was there tbh and also never had any sh1tty shoes incidents either. Is it in general in Cork or just in some places?

In the Northside of the City mostly. Social commentary right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Littering in the cinema?? Are you insane? After every show a team of people go in and clean it up. There are no bins provided in the cinema (only in the foyer). And yes, like the was said, should you clean the table after you in a restaurant too??!

When you pay for the cinema you are paying for that team to clean up and put that stuff in the bin and recycle popcorn etc. What is the difference between that person putting it in the bin and you putting it in the bin??

If you were entering a cinema like that fair enough, but leaving? Some people have little to get annoyed about...

Wow.
    Thats an awful post.
    People act like pigs in cinemas, on that thinking isn't it Iok to litter everywhere as someone is paid to clean up. Parents shouldn't allow children to just throw their crap round in the cinema just because there is a team paid to tidy it up. I have a number of teams who work on litter duties in towns and it's disgraceful the way people think littering and dog fouling is acceptable. Maybe if you brought your litter to the bin it wouldn't cost a fortune to actually go to the cinema.
    Its a shame on any person who thinks its acceptable to litter anywhere and more of an effort should be made to hold people to account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

bbam wrote: »
    Wow.
    Thats an awful post.
    People act like pigs in cinemas, on that thinking isn't it Iok to litter everywhere as someone is paid to clean up. Parents shouldn't allow children to just throw their crap round in the cinema just because there is a team paid to tidy it up. I have a number of teams who work on litter duties in towns and it's disgraceful the way people think littering and dog fouling is acceptable. Maybe if you brought your litter to the bin it wouldn't cost a fortune to actually go to the cinema.
    Its a shame on any person who thinks its acceptable to litter anywhere and more of an effort should be made to hold people to account.

Ok, so leaving your empty drink in the drink holder is the same as littering the street and dog fouling now??! Wow, just wow. And who mentioned "throwing crap around the cinema"?? Maybe if the cinema left some bins in the place people would be more likely to throw their rubbish in them.

When you go to the O2, do you go around telling people they are fcking disgraces when they drop their empty cup on the ground? And I'm sure you nor anyone else who could possibly hate litter has ever done that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yes I think Ireland is bad for it, Dublin I guess I'm talking about. Used to live by a school in Fairview and the kids just nonchalantly throw rubbish on the ground having eaten their lunch or drank their can of coke. My street was disgusting, Marino crescent in case any of you know it, and the park there was an absolute disgrace with rubbish. I managed to organise a street clean once but only 4 people from the whole street showed up. I found the inner city people the worst for it, going through Summerhill every day, they just put bags of rubbish out on the street instead of paying the charges, and the streets are just awash with filth. They don't seem to have a problem with living in their own sh*te.
    I live in a pretty underpriveleged part of London, even walking through the roughest estate nearby it's spotless. I don't know if that's down to the council or the people but parts of Dublin are just disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I live in a pretty underpriveleged part of London, even walking through the roughest estate nearby it's spotless. I don't know if that's down to the council or the people but parts of Dublin are just disgusting.
    Jeremy Paxman says lol.
    Jeremy Paxman has attacked the "uglification" of Britain's streets and warned that the country's litter problem is spiralling out of control.
    The Newsnight presenter, who criticised the BBC in January for having a "hypocritical stance" on the issue of climate change, furthered his green credentials today with a call for a "national spring clean".
    In an article for the Guardian, Mr Paxman, 56, saves his most damning indictment for Chancellor Gordon Brown, criticising him for "posing as an environmentalist". He writes: "Here is a man whose memorial should be built of discarded supermarketbags." Mr Paxman speaks of his dismay at the litter he saw on a country road, saying he counted more than 100 items including sandwich wrappers, crisp packets and plastic bottles.
    He says: "We are no longer a green and pleasant land spotted with filthy places. We are a filthy island in which there is an occasional oasis of cleanliness.
    "People, like animals, do not generally foul their own nests. But they feel free to throw rubbish around for much the same reason morons feel entitled to vandalise bus shelters, smash park benches or use telephone boxes as urinals: they do not feel the public realm is theirs."
    Mr Paxman attacks Blairism for "doing nothing to dim the obsession with signifiers of success" and argues the Government has not spent enough on litter removal.
    "Since no government - national or local - wants to take away the money citizens would prefer to spend on shiny new goods, they economise on clearingup rubbish." Mr Paxman criticises the Treasury for failing to support a scheme, successfully implemented in Ireland, which would have seen a tax imposed on the use of nonrecyclable plastic bags.
    He goes on to suggest that persistent litter bugs should be made to pick up rubbish as a more effective punishment than paying a fine. Mr Paxman has accused his employer, the BBC, of hypocrisy over climate change, saying it took a "high moral tone" in its reporting of the issue while pursuing environmentally irresponsible policies in running the corporation.

And a few more for the craic:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8804000/8804328.stm
    http://abcnews.go.com/meta/search/imageDetail?format=plain&source=http://abcnews.go.com/images/International/ho_london_litter
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/mar/10/waste.recycling
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/mar/29/fast-food-litter-uk-streets

Lovely.

Doc Ruby wrote: »

I've no doubt it's filthy here too. But going on areas in Dublin where I lived and where I am now, it looks a lot cleaner here. The less priveleged the people in Ireland I guess the less they care about littering or rules. Malahide village was always nice and tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I can't stand to see people litter. It shows huge disrespect to the people around you, you wouldn't want someone to discard their litter across your front garden so why would you do it in a public area. I think it's down to the parents a lot of times, all this new cuddly parenting is to blame! :p I was told not to litter and if I did I would have got a wallop :p and even now I almost have a phobia of littering. Throwing cigarette butts on the ground really annoys me too, especially people who do it with a bin right beside them! Although saying that I never give out to anyone, I suppose there is no point complaining if you won't do something about it! I just hold the anger in until I rant about it later on! :pac:

I've no doubt it's filthy here too. But going on areas in Dublin where I lived and where I am now, it looks a lot cleaner here. The less priveleged the people in Ireland I guess the less they care about littering or rules. Malahide village was always nice and tidy.
    Here's another one for you.
    The following correction was printed in the Guardian's Corrections and clarifications column, Tuesday 26 May 2009

In the article below about anti-litter campaigns we said that a staggering 30m tonnes of litter are removed from our streets every day. That would be staggering - it is 30m tonnes every year. We suggested the figure was for Britain; it is for England alone.

It has happened to most of us at one time or another. You're strolling along the pavement, when suddenly one shoe gets stuck to the ground. With a sinking feeling, you realise you've stepped in chewing gum - or worse.

Walking through British towns and cities, it's often hard to avoid the litter strewn across the pavements, roads and green spaces - anything from food wrappers, cigarette butts and dog mess to bottles, cans and plastic bags. A staggering 30m tonnes of litter are removed from our streets every day.

Despite numerous anti-litter campaigns over the last decade, the amount of litter being dropped is not decreasing. The latest data, from the Encams (Keep Britain Tidy) local environmental quality survey of England for 2007/08, shows that while there has been a modest reduction of 3% in the amount of litter compared to the previous year, levels have risen since 2004/05.

Since the 1960s, littering has increased by 500%, according to Litterbugs, a recent Policy Exchange and Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) report.
    So thats a half ton of litter per person per year in the UK. Thats a pretty serious littering problem.

• Advertisement

Here's another one for you.

So thats a half ton of litter per person per year in the UK. Thats a pretty serious littering problem.

Ok, phew, UK is filthy so we can just ignore our own problem now

Putting it all together, with a couple of kilos of litter per person per day being dumped in England, and much of that being fast food wrappers and cigarette butts as per the previous links, plus Britain being the binge drinking capital of Europe, a truly nightmarish picture begins to emerge. I mean my god do you people horse back a couple of boxes of fags, then gorge on enough junkfood to make the most morbidly obese blanch, before heading out to force as much alcohol down your gullets as humanly possible? What kind of a hell hole have you made of your country.

I haven't even looked up the stats on domestic and casual violence for fear it might spoil my lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Putting it all together, with a couple of kilos of litter per person per day being dumped in England, and much of that being fast food wrappers and cigarette butts as per the previous links, plus Britain being the binge drinking capital of Europe, a truly nightmarish picture begins to emerge. I mean my god do you people horse back a couple of boxes of fags, then gorge on enough junkfood to make the most morbidly obese blanch, before heading out to force as much alcohol down your gullets as humanly possible? What kind of a hell hole have you made of your country.

I haven't even looked up the stats on domestic and casual violence for fear it might spoil my lunch.

Doc ruby bashing England? Whatever next....

Predictable as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I was at Mcdonalds drive thru yest and the car in front was paying,he waited on extra food and started eating his stuff before he got his final order.
    He just chucked out the plastic and paper and it blew right on down the road without him giving a care.
    Rough looking eastern European type,that really possed me off.
    Have seen Irish do it as well so it's really a certain type not a whole nation.
    My folks are meticulous about recycling as are we,I often find myself picking up empty cigarette boxes and old scratch cards on my walk with the dog as the area we live in is rural and stunning so it saddens me when idiots throw their rubbish around.

summerskin wrote: »

Predictable as ever.
    Just the facts laddie, just the facts, every one link supported. And I wasn't the one who brought England into this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Predictable as ever.
    Just the facts laddie, just the facts, every one link supported. And I wasn't the one who brought England into this. ;)

I find your obsession with England amusing. The fact is that people in England don't care about Ireland in anywhere near the same way you are concerned with the UK. Why would they?

Parts of England are scruffy, very littered. Parts are beautiful.

A bit like Ireland really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Someone throwing a single wrapper away does not annoy me at all in comparison I think the kinds of food that leads to the most litter should have more enviro friendly wrappers or no wrapper at all but meh nothings going to change anywho in comparison to someone who goes out of their way to leave their bin bag somewhere else, they make the effort to bring it out of the house leave it somewhere and go back, and they're mostly only small plastic bags, considering the cost of one full bin does a tesco bag of rubbish really cost that much.

Where I live I see a new one every couple of days and mostly left outside my bin shed or tied to the handle I never bring them in but someone does and they just keep coming back.

The difference is when someone drops a wrapper its just that with these bags when they split its mouldy food, nappies and manky bits of everything strewn everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I have one of the best examples of this problem!

one day I was travelling on the bus and when looking out the window I saw this teenager standing, leaning against a bus stop eating a bar. He casually let the wrapper fall to the ground without a care.

There was a bin attached to the bus stop he was leaning against!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I hate littering. The area where I live (D8 - near city center) looks like a tip with rubbish everywhere. It's all to do with the way kids are brought up - parents are totally to blame on this one. Monkey see, monkey do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

What did he say when you reprimanded him over it?
    He said that his loaded parents are gonna destroy him in court for attacking innocent children.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Actually, I agree with the opinion that the Irish are ready to litter their surroundings without a second thought.
    Remember when my mum was visiting, we got out of the Dart and there was a group of teenagers in front of us. One of them dropped the empty packet of crisps, the other one casually threw away an empty bottle of Coke without any hesitation. My mum gasped with horror and they started grinning and calling her a fu...ing foreigner. They didn't look like skangers.
    We went to a theatre one time and there was an older woman, very nicely dressed sitting beside us. She was making her way through a packet of sweets and very casually dropped every single wrapping under her seat so that at the end the floor was covered with them. When leaving the cinema I'd barely ever see anyone picking the empty bottles or leftovers of popcorn or ice-cream cups and throwing them outside into the bin. And the empty bottles, packets of crisps, newspapers left on the buses and trains is another story.
    So I think saying that the Irish have a very casual attitude to littering is not an exaggeration.

haminka wrote: »
    Actually, I agree with the opinion that the Irish are ready to litter their surroundings without a second thought.
    Remember when my mum was visiting, we got out of the Dart and there was a group of teenagers in front of us. One of them dropped the empty packet of crisps, the other one casually threw away an empty bottle of Coke without any hesitation. My mum gasped with horror and they started grinning and calling her a fu...ing foreigner. They didn't look like skangers.
    We went to a theatre one time and there was an older woman, very nicely dressed sitting beside us. She was making her way through a packet of sweets and very casually dropped every single wrapping under her seat so that at the end the floor was covered with them. When leaving the cinema I'd barely ever see anyone picking the empty bottles or leftovers of popcorn or ice-cream cups and throwing them outside into the bin. And the empty bottles, packets of crisps, newspapers left on the buses and trains is another story.
    So I think saying that the Irish have a very casual attitude to littering is not an exaggeration.
    Certain Irish not all,I and many others take a dim view on littering.it's just like saying
    Sure all the foreigners come here for the dole.
    A certain amount of them do but the vast majority don't which is also true of the Irish and littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Sappa wrote: »
    Certain Irish not all,I and many others take a dim view on littering.it's just like saying
    A certain amount of them do but the vast majority don't which is also true of the Irish and littering.

What I can say is that the attitude in Ireland towards littering is more relaxed than in other countries. I have never seen a cinema looking that dirty in other countries or litter casually thrown away in other European countries the way it is in Ireland. I allow myself this generalization because I've seen people of all age and social groups doing that and I found it really strange.

Sappa wrote: »

What I can say is that the attitude in Ireland towards littering is more relaxed than in other countries. I have never seen a cinema looking that dirty in other countries or litter casually thrown away in other European countries the way it is in Ireland. I allow myself this generalization because I've seen people of all age and social groups doing that and I found it really strange.
    There are strict fines in place towards littering in Ireland which are not found in many European countries.
    While it is unfortunate that you have seen excessive littering in your time in Ireland I can assure you that by generalising the problem you are incorrect.
    Certain people litter the vast majority do not,I have 3 nieces who would not dare throw litter and wash their yoghurt containers before putting them in the bin.
    It all comes down to the individual do they respect the landscape whether it be France or Romania or Ireland.
    You cannot generalise a whole nation by the act of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

eth0 wrote: »
    Right, because it happens in Ireland it must be something only done by Irish people and litter isn't a problem in any other country. All the school kids? Did you observe each and every one of them doing this? I suppose its just like how they all smoke and all the girls are slappers.

Ingrained disrespect for authority? I don't think so. Quite the opposite infact, 4 years of austerity and not a single riot, people falling over themselves to pay the household charge on the first day of the new year. We must be the most obedient crowd of europe, there was actually an interesting documentary about this on Al Jazeera lately.

Irish people saying they love their country - also a load of shoite, here you find more people besmirching the place and moaning how Ireland is inferior to the USA, Canada, Aus, Germany, Holland etc and how everything is better in those countries.

Cause you spot one fella throwing away a wrapper all school children and all Irish people are bad. You're talking shoite

No, I don't think the OP is actually.

Sure, littering isn't something exclusively done only by Irish people, but the Portuguese aren't going to sort our litter problem out now are they?
    And if the streets of Lisbon are a tip does this somehow excuse the fact that ours are also?
    While litter is not uniquely an Irish problem, we do seem especially good at it, I've been in plenty capital cities and some are filthy, some are almost preternaturally spotless. Can it be that bizarre to suggest some nations have a culture of binning it and some of just dropping it? And which kind of culture should we aspire to be following?

As for an ingrained disrespect for authority, now that is a pervasive Irish attitude, and the kids have learned it from their parents. It's also a fact that attitude is getting worse. I've seen kids behave in a manner towards adults in the street or on public transport that a generation ago would have seen them drop kicked from a height before they had even half a chance to call childline.

OK, so we're not rioting on the streets, but that has noting to do with any kind of reverential awe we have for the authority of Enda Kenny now is it?
    No, there are no riots because the privileged classes at the top of Irish society, the massive public sector and the welfare classes at the bottom have not taken any kind of serious hit, and those of us that have taken the hit are too busy working and clinging on to our jobs to have the time to riot, but believe me we're getting close to making some time in our busy schedules for it.

I'll agree with you that Irish people have very little national pride or respect for the country however, which probably contributes to the reason that they'll happily turn the place into a rubbish strewn tip without a second thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

And you would be right if a team of teenagers didn't go in and take that rubbish from the cup holder and put it into a rubbish back literally after the film ended.

That is irrelevant, the team that goes in afterwards cleans up dust or particles that fall down accidentally.

They are not an excuse to ditch litter everywhere when it can be walked to the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I was involved in a big cleanup recently, a crew of (mostly) secondary school kids spent 4-5 hours hauling a huge amount of rubbish out of a rough patch of ground, bagged it all up ready for collection and sat down for a rest. After we thanked them for their efforts they stood up and wandered off leaving a scatter of bottles and wrappers on the grass. We had talked for hours about the possible sources of the rubbish and the potential damage to wildlife etc. they shared our outrage and enthusiasm. But somehow, their litter was different? :confused:

Cedrus wrote: »
    I was involved in a big cleanup recently, a crew of (mostly) secondary school kids spent 4-5 hours hauling a huge amount of rubbish out of a rough patch of ground, bagged it all up ready for collection and sat down for a rest. After we thanked them for their efforts they stood up and wandered off leaving a scatter of bottles and wrappers on the grass. We had talked for hours about the possible sources of the rubbish and the potential damage to wildlife etc. they shared our outrage and enthusiasm. But somehow, their litter was different? :confused:
    Ohh that is tragic.
    I was once in the Tamil Negra rainforest,our guide explained how humans are encroaching on this beautiful area and we all agreed it was shocking.
    To our disgust a father from
    France with his kids had smoked 3 ciggs during the talk and stamped the butts into the ground.
    He walked away leaving just the cigg butts in the middle of a lush forest,it was blatant lack of respect for the environment as they just stuck out.

I find your obsession with England amusing.
    I find your obsession with me amusing. Play the ball, laddie, not the man. More amusing yet of course are those misguided souls of british origin who come in trumpeting about the "wretched state of Ireland", adding the odd dig about genetics and so on, which upon closer inspection invariably tends to be a far worse problem in the UK, whatever it is.

I mean really, every time.

Seriously, you think I knew anything about the state of litter in London until today? Its a self fulfilling prophecy with these types. Then they pull the persecution (!) card when this is pointed out to them.

I don't care what the people of england think of Ireland. I do care if some numpty gets in my face with gobshite jingoism, in particular if they come from that joyous garden of tolerance and understanding that has been planted just to our north, and what a mess that will be to clean up when it comes back under proper civilised governance.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

The biggest problem here is the lack of the bins on the streets. Even kids won't throw stuff on the ground if they are standing next to a bin. Go to any German town and compare the number of bins in public places and you will very quickly see why the difference.

• Advertisement

And apparently Dublin City Council are taking away bins. While it is understandable if idiots who wont pay their bin charges are using them it is certainly not helping.

Also this Dirty Old Towns on RTE is a magnificent example of what can be down and what should be done. What are the councils doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    What are the councils doing?

Nothing,because we won't pay the household charge.

cml387 wrote: »
    Nothing,because we won't pay the household charge.

Too simplistic there.

What have the councils been doing for years when the whole country is filthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Too simplistic there.

What have the councils been doing for years when the whole country is filthy?

Clonmel corporation are out at 6 on a Sunday morning cleaning up the filth that the younger generation leave on the street from the previous night.

Not cheap,with double time to pay.

But maybe some people think they work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

analucija wrote: »
    ........................... Even kids won't throw stuff on the ground if they are standing next to a bin. .....................................

Oh yes they will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

fryup wrote: »
    I mean the irish always say how much they love their country so why don't they show it by not messing it up.
    You're Irish - what's the "the Irish", "they" stuff about as if they're another group? We get it, you've an inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

For those that think Ireland doesn't have a littering problem...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0903/1224323535774.html

Q.E.D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In defense of the OP, have seen quite a few people in Dublin throwing wrappers on the ground without a second thought and they were all natives. Saw one degenerate throw rubbish on the ground when he was no more than 2 meters from a bin, it actually didn't even occur to this guy that rubbish should go in the bin, dirty knacker .
    I can't remember seeing much lettering on my travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

fryup wrote: »
    What is it with some irish people who seem to have a total lack of respect for their surroundings.

I saw a school kid today unwrap a chocolate bar and threw the wrapper over his shoulder without a second thought. All the school kids throw litter around and some adults aren't much better.

Is it to do with our DNA our ingrained disrespect for authority and rules??

I mean the irish always say how much they love their country so why don't they show it by not messing it up.

it is something you learn from your parents. two five year olds threw banana skins into my garden yesterday and i went out and told them off. they picked them up. a teenager would have told me to f off and their parents would back them up.

someone has ditched two black plastic bags of rubbish on the our road, but none of the neighbours are interested in picking it up. I am tired of picking up other peoples rubbish.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think that people are much more conscious of litter and cleaning up after themselves these days. Of course you'll always come across a few muppets who don't care but such is life.

things have changed slightly for the better but a lot of folks do not regard it as littering when they put their rubbish in plastic bag and leave there.

why are there so few rubbish bins about and why the few bins that do exist overflowing with rubbish?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    You're Irish - what's the "the Irish", "they" stuff about as if they're another group? We get it, you've an inferiority complex.

the Irish were very patriotic during the olympics with flags everywhere. when it was over I found it odd to see those flags throw on the streets and in the gutter.

thats because some folks in society get everything handed to them so why should they respect it?

they will say they live in shiit area and I always say to them the area is hit cos you make it shiit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's down to how you are raised, like so many other things. Litter throwing knackers beget more litter throwing knackers sadly.

It's down to how you are raised, like so many other things. Litter throwing knackers beget more litter throwing knackers sadly.

its not a class thing either . the upper classes will litter just as much as the tracksuited class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Not nearly enough litter wardens and the punishment for littering not severe enough would add to people not caring about the consequences of littering either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

the litter is disgusting...especially when you are entering or exiting the motorway.. all the rubbish on the side of the exits. gross!!

i see a lot of illegally dumped rubbish around north county dublin. if you contact IBAL on twitter with a location and pic if possible, they will get on the case of the council responsible. it does work. saw some fingal lads removing the illegally dumped bags of rubbish a day or two later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

When I see kids littering on my street I pull them up for it. Now some of them dump their cans etc over my wall as some sort of ironic revenge. I pick up rubbish on my road most days. No one else does this -they'd all live in filth because they didn't put it there.

Lately there has been a large amount of takeaway rubbish on the street in the morning - I'm seeing the rubbish of about eight people - cans, curry chips boxes, Supermacs carrier bags. And even though it is outside their property, other people leave it there - waiting for me to pick it up I suppose :mad:

Sometimes I call the litter warden to report dumping of furniture or bags of household. The record wait I had for a mess to be cleaned was six weeks. Six weeks of calling every few days to be told the call wasn't logged, it rained heavily, or the crews were really busy that week.

So, OP, the attitude generally is shiite, but I've seen the same thing in France, Italy, Spain. It's people, not Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm in Brussels at the moment and Wow! There's rubbish everywhere. It's mostly down to a rather chaotic bin collection system that uses white plastic bags instead of wheelie bins. Recycling, green waste etc is all picked up in colour coded bags. Trash blows everywhere .

People also seem to out their bins out two and three days ahead of the day as there's nowhere to store rubbish in a lot of apartment complexes.

Irelands system is incentivising illegal dumping by making the pick up prices too high. Also, the bag collection systems that remain in some city centre areas in Dublin really ought to be replaced by narrow wheelie bins.

Same goes for plastic bag based recycling systems which were (are still?) used in Cork City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Solair wrote: »
    I'm in Brussels at the moment and Wow! There's rubbish everywhere. It's mostly down to a rather chaotic bin collection system that uses white plastic bags instead of wheelie bins. Recycling, green waste etc is all picked up in colour coded bags. Trash blows everywhere .

People also seem to out their bins out two and three days ahead of the day as there's nowhere to store rubbish in a lot of apartment complexes.

Irelands system is incentivising illegal dumping by making the pick up prices too high. Also, the bag collection systems that remain in some city centre areas in Dublin really ought to be replaced by narrow wheelie bins.

Same goes for plastic bag based recycling systems which were (are still?) used in Cork City.

Funnily enough the garbage collection here is very basic. We have black bins out front, that are collected every couple of days, everything goes into them. If they are full, you leave the bag next to them, and everything is collected. Its the one thing I never have to worry about is bin collection / waste disposal etc.

We don't even have to buy tags and what not. The city garbage collectors collect it. Its part of the cities duty to keep the place clean so they do. In Ireland, especially in Dublin it is too chaotic, with different colour bins, and different color tags that you have to remember to buy tags for as well. I remember sharing a house, the day before payday, the day before the bin gets collected, down to your last 2 euro, do you a) buy a bin tag, or b) buy dinner. The result, the bin was left to be collected the following week.

• Advertisement

what I find odd about living in Dublin (and other towns?) is that some houses have three bins, while others have only one. are we not all obliged to separate our rubbish?

we have come a long way.I remember coming home from Germany in the nineties and separating the glass. everyone thought I was mad and it was a struggle to find a bottle bank.

Advertisement