Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas closing

Options
  • 13-03-2012 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when Texas are closing?

I heard someone saying that when they close there's a pound shop type shop taking it's place, does anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

True about it closing. Don't know what will replace it.

Due to close at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Texas are closing doors on 24th March, according to their posters in the store, but there isn't really much stock left, so I don't know if it will last that long.

Dealz (aka Poundworld or Poundland in the UK) is opening where Kilroys used to be, not sure when though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

jenniwenni wrote: »
    Texas are closing doors on 24th March, according to their posters in the store, but there isn't really much stock left, so I don't know if it will last that long.

Dealz (aka Poundworld or Poundland in the UK) is opening where Kilroys used to be, not sure when though.

I thought texas was closed in athlone a long time ago

This is Mullingar. There is another Texas which I think is in Tullamore, that is going to continue to trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

This is Mullingar. There is another Texas which I think is in Tullamore, that is going to continue to trade
    Texas in Tullamore has been gone for a while now. Even the area around Texas in Tullamore is deserted, the Tesco that was near there is now gone and the building boarded up as well as some other shops, and even the carpark there looks neglected.

A very similar story in Athlone with the entire Athlone Shopping Centre now completely closed apart from the Polish supermarket at the front and the coffee shop I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

It's closing next week. Won't be sad to see it gone anyways, it's full of tat

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Texas in Tullamore has been gone for a while now. Even the area around Texas in Tullamore is deserted, the Tesco that was near there is now gone and the building boarded up as well as some other shops, and even the carpark there looks neglected.

A very similar story in Athlone with the entire Athlone Shopping Centre now completely closed apart from the Polish supermarket at the front and the coffee shop I think.

I wonder is there plans to re-open tullamore, cos one of the members of staff said that anything not sold would be going to their tullamore store.

dee. wrote: »

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

dee. wrote: »
    Agreed

I would think of the jobs being lost rather than the shopping opportunities lost ...

Apparently most of the staff got jobs in the new Dealz store

Another wild rumor I heard was that Iceland are going to open in the Texas building

• Advertisement

Another wild rumor I heard was that Iceland are going to open in the Texas building
    Iceland is coming to Athlone sometime this year. They're planning to open a few more stores around the country this year including Longford and some more stores down the line. No mention of Mullingar yet with there is a high possibility.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/12/21/4008377-iceland-is-coming-to-athlone-in-2012/

I hope they do. Cheap and cheerful is what people want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cheap and cheerful? Really?
    you want UK companies coming in and closing down Irish companies??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Tescos are english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Iceland is coming to Athlone sometime this year. They're planning to open a few more stores around the country this year including Longford and some more stores down the line. No mention of Mullingar yet with there is a high possibility.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/12/21/4008377-iceland-is-coming-to-athlone-in-2012/

I'm not a food snob but any time I've been there all I've seen is heavily processed, salty sugary crap. And of course imported. We've already got shops which sell food, and the same number of people to buy and eat it. This doesn't generate extra revenue or wealth for the country or community, it just redistributes it. Nothing to get too excited about really, unless you love frozen food.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Iceland is a horrible shop, its a complete chav-magnet. They only sell the lowest quality food like frozen nuggets for a €1, that kind of offal. Believe me it ain't going to change the lives of the good people of Athlone.

Separately Dealz (aka Poundland) is opening soon on Pearse street in Mullingar. Pretty dreadful I know however it is better than an empty shop unit and everyone loves cheap cleaning products after all!

Also Esquires coffee is also opening a new cafe on Pearse street in Mullingar in June so that's another positive sign, another empty unit down and another nice coffee option in town ;)

paid parking is really hurting Mullingar

there are no free car parks near the main streets.
    they should really make one day of the week free parking

@ nice guy 80 - agreed. The Council are so not proactive it hurts. They should be encouraging shoppers with say, one day a week with free parking, pedestrianise the high street and allow market traders to set up, encourage peripheral retailers to relocate onto the main high street through business rate discounts, create a critical mass of retailers on a number of streets to centralize activity, etc... Mullingar is too spread out at present and needs a tighter core to be established which receives extra Council spending, street improvements etc....

wetminger wrote: »
    @ nice guy 80 - agreed. The Council are so not proactive it hurts. They should be encouraging shoppers with say, one day a week with free parking, pedestrianise the high street and allow market traders to set up, encourage peripheral retailers to relocate onto the main high street through business rate discounts, create a critical mass of retailers on a number of streets to centralize activity, etc... Mullingar is too spread out at present and needs a tighter core to be established which receives extra Council spending, street improvements etc....

what street would you pedestrianise????

I'd make a few streets one way and widen the paths on either side of the stree thus creating space for markets stalls and creating more footfall

I'd love to have principles but I can't afford them

• Advertisement

paid parking is really hurting Mullingar

there are no free car parks near the main streets.
    they should really make one day of the week free parking

I don't understand how that would help things. As far as I can see, there is no problem filling car parking spaces

I don't understand how that would help things. As far as I can see, there is no problem filling car parking spaces

I know a lot of people who would rather drive to Athlone or Tullamore to shop and bank because there is free parking available.

Makes a huge diffference when you can leave the car in a car park for free for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Separately Dealz (aka Poundland) is opening soon on Pearse street in Mullingar. Pretty dreadful I know however it is better than an empty shop unit and everyone loves cheap cleaning products after all!
    Is that the outfit after setting up in the blocks in Golden Island once occupied by Blockbuster, Halifax and 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I would think of the jobs being lost rather than the shopping opportunities lost ...

How are jobs created? Last I thought, it was customers.

But yes, it is very depressing to see people lose their jobs especially in those areas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

LLU wrote: »
    I'm not a food snob but any time I've been there all I've seen is heavily processed, salty sugary crap. And of course imported. We've already got shops which sell food, and the same number of people to buy and eat it. This doesn't generate extra revenue or wealth for the country or community, it just redistributes it. Nothing to get too excited about really, unless you love frozen food.

There is a reason why Iceland never hit off in the South of Ireland. (A few around the boarder areas)

It is crap.

But, sadly, with the way the economy is going, it is how much mammy can afford that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

If Dealz in Mullingar gets the crowd that it does in Athlone it will do great, car park in the Golden Island seems to be busier now and always a good crowd in there. The things in there are ok and worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

No they are not - It's full of cheap and nasty rubbish. .:( It's sad to see the chavification of the shopping in our town.

Iceland is a horrible shop, its a complete chav-magnet. They only sell the lowest quality food like frozen nuggets for a €1, that kind of offal. Believe me it ain't going to change the lives of the good people of Athlone.

If there was ever a chav-magnet if I've seen one it's Dealz in Athlone. Whenever I go in there the place seems to be full of the roughest-looking scumbags in town and their screaming children. It's okay if you want to get cheap toiletries but there's nothing else in there really worth buying or going in there for.

• Advertisement

I know, its hideous isn't it. These places are just pumping cheap bits of plastic out as quick as the Chinese can produce it. The problem with these places is that they kill genuinely decent Irish shops - why buy your toothpaste from Dunnes or Marshalls when you can get it for 20 cent less in Dealz who buy in UK size bulk. I wonder how the food court in M&S in Mullingar does these days, its pretty expensive so must struggle, any idea?

Advertisement