Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best free CD(s) you've ever gotten with a music magazine?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Over the years I've bought hundreds of music magazines. It used to be a novelty to get a free CD but now pretty much every magazine has a CD attached to it every month. While most of these CDs aren't particularly good (in my opinion anyway) every once in a while I get something great. Some of them would even be worth buying for the price of a regular CD.

My favourite free CD was one called The Madcap Laughs Again that came with Mojo magazine a couple of years ago. It was Syd Barretts album The Madcap Laughs re-recorded by various artists. There were some great cover versions on it, the best being Octopus by Captain Sensible.

Another great one was The Who Covered, also free with Mojo magazine (in 2006 I think).

Anyone else ever get any great CDs, cassettes or vinyl (I also once got a free Lee Perry 7" single with Mojo) with music magazines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Mojo's Blue Christmas compilation is great, best Christmas album going I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I have a box full of magazine compilations that I've collected over the years, a lot of Mojo, Uncut, Metal Hammer and Rocksound CDs among others. When I get a magazine compilation I usually only listen to it all the way through once and then maybe go back and listen to the songs that stood out, before throwing it in the box with the others. I very rarely go back and listen to any of them, but one that I do is a CD that was included with Mojo just over a year ago.

2225.jpg

Even though I was already a fan of some of the bands on the CD there were a few awesome bands that I had never listened to. But the compilation as a whole is brilliant and gives you a great overall idea of the music that inspired Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Not sure if I'd class it as 'the best', but if you're in the mood for it, very listenable.

Packaged with MOJO #105, August 2002.

0010abf6.jpg

01. Bob Marley & the Wailers - Mr Brown
    02. Delroy Wilson - Better Must Come
    03. Niney - Blood & Fire
    04. Theo Beckford - Easy Snappin'
    05. The Crystalites - Untertaker's Burial
    06. John Holt - Ali Baba
    07. Slim Smith - Everybody Needs Love
    08. The Maytals - Pressure Drop
    09. Johnny Clarke - None Shall Escape the Judgement
    10. Junior Byles - A Place Called Africa
    11. Joe White - I'm So Proud
    12. The Untouchables - Tighten Up
    13. Desmond Dekker & the Aces - 007
    14. Ken Boothe - Artibella
    15. The Ethiopians - Everything Crash
    16. Harry J All Stars - Liquidator
    17. Gregory Isaacs - Don't Let Me Suffer
    18. Drumbago & the Dynamites - Dulcemania
    19. The Upsetters - Dollar in the Teeth
    20. Jimmy Cliff - Hard Road to Travel

I loved another CD, with early Psychedelia, clear sleeve, either Mojo\Vox\Select, early 90s (1992-1994). No idea where its gone though.. My memory is obscured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Without a shadow of a doubt it would have to be this from Uncut in 1998, it could easily have been a commercial release from 4AD:

R-785938-1158592685%255B1%255D.jpg

1. Pixies - Debaser
    2. Lush - Hypocrite
    3. Mojave 3 - Go Lady Go
    4. Tanya Donelly - Lantern
    5. His Name Is Alive - Wishing Ring
    6. Throwing Muses - Mania
    7. This Mortal Coil - You And Your Sister
    8. Thievery Corporation - Shaolin Satellite
    9. Gus Gus - Barry (Gi Gi Galaxy Remix)
    10. Cuba - Urban Light (12:00 AM)
    11. Colourbox - Official World Cup Theme
    12. The Breeders - Saints
    13. The Birthday Party - Big Jesus Trash Can
    14. Lisa Germano - Tomorrowing
    15. Red House Painters - New Jersey
    16. Kristin Hersh - Your Ghost
    17. Dead Can Dance - American Dreaming
    18. The Hope Blister - Sweet Unknown
    19. Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops Drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I have a box full of magazine compilations that I've collected over the years, a lot of Mojo, Uncut, Metal Hammer and Rocksound CDs among others. When I get a magazine compilation I usually only listen to it all the way through once and then maybe go back and listen to the songs that stood out, before throwing it in the box with the others. I very rarely go back and listen to any of them, but one that I do is a CD that was included with Mojo just over a year ago.

2225.jpg

Even though I was already a fan of some of the bands on the CD there were a few awesome bands that I had never listened to. But the compilation as a whole is brilliant and gives you a great overall idea of the music that inspired Nirvana.

I missed out on that CD but I have a similar (but seemingly shorter) one called Kurt's Choice that came with a 2004 issue of NME.

21FbHDDSgKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Any of the ones Foggy Notions gave away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Like you example's I got mine with Mojo magazine. It was a cover album of Neil Young's Harvest album. Villagers had a good cover of Old Man on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

By the time the CD became cheap enough to give away as a freebie I had long since stopped buying music mags. So I will stretch the rules to include vinyl!
    I have five 7inch vinyl freebies given away with the NME back in the 80's.
    My favorite being the one with :
    The Smiths - What She Said ( live)
    U2 - Wire ( dub mix)
    Bronski Beat - Hard Rain
    Cocteau Twins - Ivo ( new version)
    Four great tracks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I have that one as well PaulieBoy.

CDs - I have hundreds of these, all in a box under my children's bunk bed.
    Uncut - Sounds Of The New West
    Uncut - Reel Music 2

A few of The Wire Tappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Got a good one about 5 years ago with Q magazine. Was during the summer so it was a summer themed one, had some great tracks on it like Jesus etc by Wilco, Track you down by Sondre Lerche, Summer Skin by Death Cab for Cutie, and A Fond farewell by Elliott Smith. They are just some I can remember from it offhand. A very enjoyable listen.

Edit: It was this.

d70d440f_1.jpeg

Smith, Elliott - A Fond Farewell 3:55
    Lerche, Sondre - Track You Down 4:33
    Death Cab For Cutie - Summer Skin 3:11
    Clayhill - One Nerve 4:48
    I Am Kloot - From Your Favourite Sky 2:46
    Shack - Shelley Brown 4:20
    Bragg, Billy - Walk Away Renee (Version) 2:19
    Dando, Evan - Shots Is Fired 2:42
    Big Star - Thirteen 2:51
    Kitt, David - Dancing In The Moonlight 3:25
    Bell, Chris - I Am The Cosmos 3:41
    Case, Niko - John Saw That Number 3:57
    Wilco - Jesus, Etc [Live] 3:56
    Tenderfoot, The - Still Holding My Stomach In 4:54
    Noir, Jim - Turn Your Frown Into A Smile 5:11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was it "Feed your Head"? Pink and designed like a pill CD in a clear plastic dispensing bag?
    Got that one.
    Amalgam wrote: »
    I loved another CD, with early Psychedelia, clear sleeve, either Mojo\Vox\Select, early 90s (1992-1994). No idea where its gone though.. My memory is obscured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

My one is a CD I got with a HiFi magazine.

Think I bought the magazine purely to get the CD.

Its got a fantastic range of tracks from "Send me the pillow that you sleep on" by Jerry Lee Lewis to "Smash it up" by the Damned and its perfectly curated so that one track naturally leads to the next .

Advertisement