Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work experience for transition year students

Options
  • 14-03-2012 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all
    Does anyone have any advice as to where to seek a spot for work experience for transition year students, Are there any particular industries that are good or bad in that respect etc
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

Granted I did my work experience almost 6 years ago at this stage, but I'd highly recommend Specsavers (at least if you wear glasses) as not ony do they give you (as a full-time employee) a free eye-exam/contacts/glasses at the end for pretty much just doing filing and running to Dunnes to grab milk and tea but a discount on all purchases in the future! :D

I was terrible at trying to pick places for mine... we had two weeks of it, got one week in Boots by asking the Friday before starting and in Specsavers by asking literally one day before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Sano Vitae Gym (under the clarion) seem to take people on all the time for Work Experience, not sure what benefits they get but I've noticed they have a couple in every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Sano Vitae Gym (under the clarion) seem to take people on all the time for Work Experience, not sure what benefits they get but I've noticed they have a couple in every week.

Possibly rec/leisure students from CIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I did my work experience in RTE. granted that was about 15 yrs ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

For the few years I worked in 96fm there were always transition yr students in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I did mine at Douglas Post, a friend did his with Irish Examiner, another with ARUP I think and two others worked at the Everyman Palace (evenings and nights)

Most non-retail places will take you, but still pick something you would be interested in, no point in being bored for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Cork University Hospital no longer allows Transition students. Health & Safety, confidentiality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

CIE take people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

Thank you for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Try some of the pharmaceutical companies in Cork and the surrounding areas- Eli Lilli, Abbott, GE healthcare, etc. Some of them take on transition year students for a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

You could try a local vet or hair salon as well. I'm doing mine in a few weeks and I decided to leave it until the last minute so I'm stuck in a hair salon for 2 weeks unless I can find something better! :P Specsavers doesn't sound like a bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

All the big accountancy practices take peopel on, best bet is if you head in there and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

Thanks for the advice everyone

Advertisement