Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69 Rae to Tullig Realignment thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

A new road is under construction, naturally drivers should slow down and be aware of their surroundings (as every good driver is), the condition of the road is to be expected and any car troubles are definitely the fault of the driver.

What has the realignment got to do with Listowel Town Council?

No the condition of the road is not to be expected, BAM are doing a job probably 30 times bigger a few miles further on up the road.

They leave the roads the public are using in a driveable condition while working on them , and done in a speedy manner.

Its just a shame that the local contractors cant treat the public in the same way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

And what exactly do you expect ?
    Make allowances, take another road, contact Kerry CoCo, the possibilities are endless...

I would have 'expected' the contractors might have the existing road in better condition , btw its a public road and im perfectly entitled to travel/and have an opinion on it , that's what this thread's about ;) .

On a positive note this project seems to be finally coming to an end , quite a depth of tarmac has been laid on the new section .

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Leithman wrote: »
    On a positive note this project seems to be finally coming to an end
    Thats one point we can all agree on, good to see its coming to an end.:)

Michael, I wasn't aware that BAM has done any work on public roads, I only use the Listowel-Tralee myself, unless they did the roundabout at the turnoff for the IT which I can't fault. As BAM are working on an entirely new road rather than a re-alignment, I don't know if its a fair comparison and besides theres a while to go yet until their a project is finished so we could all be cursing them yet!

Spoke too soon , this jumble of bollards , potholes and traffic lights is still ongoing , seemingly running weeks over deadline , sick to the teeth of it .

Photo taken last Wed 28/11/12 , anyone know why a lengthy section of the recently completed roadway just past Kilflynn cross was being dug up and relaid again this week ?.

cimg1447a.jpg

Spoke too soon , this jumble of bollards , potholes and traffic lights is still ongoing , seemingly running weeks over deadline , sick to the teeth of it .

Photo taken last Wed 28/11/12 , anyone know why a lengthy section of the recently completed roadway just past Kilflynn cross was being dug up and relaid again this week ?.

cimg1447a.jpg

I hope the council have an engineer monitoring the work properly, its a disgrace? It almost makes it worse that they are a local company.

How the hell are they digging up and relaying stretches of road that they only laid a few weeks back?

I gave up travelling that road in the evenings now, i turn off for Kilflynn and come home through Abbeydorney.

• Advertisement

I hope the council have an engineer monitoring the work properly, its a disgrace? It almost makes it worse that they are a local company.

How the hell are they digging up and relaying stretches of road that they only laid a few weeks back?

I gave up travelling that road in the evenings now, i turn off for Kilflynn and come home through Abbeydorney.

As regards the relaid section there is an unconfirmed rumour that the section had to be relaid because of a fcuk up by KCC's own engineers , at a cost to the taxpayer of some e85,000 .

lads road dont have to b finished till two weeks time and didt bam block the lyre road for 6 weeks in sept .the bit of road they digging up near kilflynn cross was not dug up b4 the council wated it planed takeing 4 inch off it and then wanted it dug down to hard ground that the council not allman.

So your telling us that Allman wanted to lay new tarmac over the old tarmac without planing it. Planing off the old stuff is a prerequisite before any new tarmac is laid!

This job sounds like a disaster, just aswell it seems the council are paying close attention!

lads road dont have to b finished till two weeks time and didt bam block the lyre road for 6 weeks in sept .the bit of road they digging up near kilflynn cross was not dug up b4 the council wated it planed takeing 4 inch off it and then wanted it dug down to hard ground that the council not allman.

Try as i might i honestly don't understand your point ?? , were you on a horse when you posted it ? ..back on topic ..., a lengthy section of this roadway has had to be relaid ... someone has made a costly fcuk up re this section , we the taxpayers will foot the bill so i make no apologies in stating i want to know who is responsible ?????????????? .

Try as i might i honestly don't understand your point ?? , were you on a horse when you posted it ? ..back on topic ..., a lengthy section of this roadway has had to be relaid ... someone has made a costly fcuk up re this section , we the taxpayers will foot the bill so i make no apologies in stating i want to know who is responsible ?????????????? .

I think what hes trying to say is that the council seem to be showing Allmans how to do the job properly!

He is saying Allmans were going to simply lay new road over old!

Can someone with experience of tarmacking please tell us if this is okay to do?

I think what hes trying to say is that the council seem to be showing Allmans how to do the job properly!

As in council engineers oversee the project? I'd imagine that EVERy public works would be run in this way.

What happened to the half gibberish post?

• Advertisement

As in council engineers oversee the project? I'd imagine that EVERy public works would be run in this way.

What happened to the half gibberish post?

I think once he realised he was after giving the game away he deleted it! He was obviously working for Allmans, he really gave the game away by saying that they were laying new tarmac over old without planing!

As for the council overseeing work, i worked on council houses that were being built by a subbie years ago. The subbie was never on site, but the Slovakian lads he had working for him were building the houses using a DIY manual!

On my daily passage through the warzone (roadworks) this morning i actually felt happy , yes happy for the ordinary Joe Soaps who are employed by Allmans because they must be earning a fortune , for the travelling public this jungle of haphazard bollards and out of sinc traffic lights is still there 6 weeks beyond the completion deadline , will these cnuts just finish the feckin thing and fcuk off :mad: .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Can't be much left in this now!
    Surely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

On my daily passage through the warzone (roadworks) this morning i actually felt happy , yes happy for the ordinary Joe Soaps who are employed by Allmans because they must be earning a fortune , for the travelling public this jungle of haphazard bollards and out of sinc traffic lights is still there 6 weeks beyond the completion deadline , will these cnuts just finish the feckin thing and fcuk off :mad: .

I take the Abbeydorney road every morning. Can't face those traffic lights anymore. There are actually a lot more overtaking opportunities on that road also.

Id say the shops in Listowel are delighted, it would certainly put me off going shopping in tralee, having to face that dirt track!

Mercifully the traffic lights are closer together and on short sequence today , spare a thought for the HGVs ferrying from Kerry Coop to the newly opened depot in Tralee having to pass through this warzone several times a day , detours aren't an option for some , secondary roads are in poor enough condition anyway without adding HGVs and buses to them .

The roadworks from hell to end this coming week please God .

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Kerry County Council

Great to announce that the road opened to traffic yesterday evening. It's looking good!

And more

Great news its looking good!

Great to announce that the road opened to traffic yesterday evening. It's looking good!

Great news indeed , typically im laid up with the flu just as it opens so wont get the benefit of the new layout till near the weekend :( . The HGVs and the buses will be mighty happy with this .

• Advertisement

Would it have been possible for the Council to update us a few months back when cars were hoping out of craters on the road?

Would it have been possible for the Council to update us a few months back when cars were hoping out of craters on the road?

That and how far over time did it go, and how expensive was it?

That and how far over time did it go, and how expensive was it?

The nature of the works meant that you had 2.5km of new road being built, and an additional 1km of the existing road being upgraded. In any project like this where you are working on a 'live' road there are going to be delays, and yes there are going to be ramps and temporary surfaces, and yes the road surface isn't going to be great in patches. That is why there are speed limits etc to take into account the temporary nature of the road, to slow traffic down.

It's not possible to compare a project like this with a project like the Tralee Bypass, which is taking place 'off-line' away from traffic.

In terms of cost etc, the contract was for €3.2m and the scheme is in under contract. It was expected to finish around the end of October-start of November, but with weather conditions over the whole year, it got delayed by a few weeks. Still not bad though when you consider the amounnt of water that fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Why no hard shoulder for cyclists etc ?

Thanks for the reply KCC. I must take a spin out at the weekend.

If only for the sake of the nerves of the regular road users a few updates would have been greatly appreciated in the previous 8 weeks or so that the project was overrunning KCC , still .. its finished now .. its Christmas .. well done to everyone concerned .. all is forgiven .. i suppose :rolleyes: .

Hoping to take a spin out there Friday , surface looks good in the photo and the project is in under budget so good value for the taxpayer .

Any improvement that potentially saves lives on our road network is welcome , safe driving on the improved N69 folks .

Just took a spin out in the dark, nice job, bit too much ugly Armco I reckon but other than that its a vast improvement over the precious road.
    Well done to all concerned.

In terms of cost etc, the contract was for €3.2m and the scheme is in under contract.

img0003if.jpg

Em .. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

The nature of the works meant that you had 2.5km of new road being built, and an additional 1km of the existing road being upgraded. In any project like this where you are working on a 'live' road there are going to be delays, and yes there are going to be ramps and temporary surfaces, and yes the road surface isn't going to be great in patches. That is why there are speed limits etc to take into account the temporary nature of the road, to slow traffic down.

It's not possible to compare a project like this with a project like the Tralee Bypass, which is taking place 'off-line' away from traffic.

In terms of cost etc, the contract was for €3.2m and the scheme is in under contract. It was expected to finish around the end of October-start of November, but with weather conditions over the whole year, it got delayed by a few weeks. Still not bad though when you consider the amounnt of water that fell.

Well done Kerry CC! :)

I think it's great that a local authority will interact with ordinary people in this way - let that be a precedent for other local authorities! ;)

Yes, the road looks good - the only thing is...
    ...is there any provision for cyclists, or do they now use the old alignment instead - if so, will this be resurfaced? Now I'm not a cyclist, but I do try and promote provision for all modes, even though I'm a motorist. I know you have made a lot of provision for cyclists elsewhere, so I presume there's provision somewhere along this scheme.

Again, many thanks! :)

• Advertisement

img0003if.jpg

Em .. :eek:

The construction contract was for €3.2m. The figure referred to there relates to the complete price, which includes land purchase, design, archaeological digs, site investigation surveys etc.

Advertisement