Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69 Rae to Tullig Realignment thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Kerry County Council

Well done Kerry CC! :)

I think it's great that a local authority will interact with ordinary people in this way - let that be a precedent for other local authorities! ;)

Yes, the road looks good - the only thing is...
    ...is there any provision for cyclists, or do they now use the old alignment instead - if so, will this be resurfaced? Now I'm not a cyclist, but I do try and promote provision for all modes, even though I'm a motorist. I know you have made a lot of provision for cyclists elsewhere, so I presume there's provision somewhere along this scheme.

Again, many thanks! :)

Thanks for the comment.

I think the hard shoulder issue was referred to by another poster earlier. The old/existing road is still there and would be quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Speaking of the archaeology, was anything of interest found?
    Is there a report available online?

Speaking of the archaeology, was anything of interest found?
    Is there a report available online?

Archaeological works were undertaken in advance of the construction of the scheme between August and October 2011 by Rubicon Heritage Services Ltd on behalf of Kerry County Council. Intensive archaeological investigation works were firstly carried out in August 2011. Three archaeological sites identified during these works were subsequently excavated in October 2011. Though not substantial in size, these sites provided interesting results and shed new light on Early Bronze Age and Medieval activity in the vicinity of Kilflynn.

All post-excavation works have now been completed. Final reports have been submitted to the National Museum of Ireland and to the National Monuments Service of the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht. These reports can be consulted at the National Monuments Service or at the Kerry National Road Design Office in Castleisland Co. Kerry.

It is anticipated that a summary of the findings will be published in the next volume of the Kerry Archaeological and Historical Journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Took a trip to Listowel over the xmas while back in Tralee and was very impressed with the new improvement - as good as any new National Primary road improvement! It's interesting how even though you are just meters from the old road, it opens up and creates an almost brand new landscape and vistas as you drive along.

I would say up to 5 minutes is saved off the journey time between Tralee/Listowel, particularly if you were stuck behind a slow car on the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Find the wide sections great to travel on. They have shorten the journey between listowel and tralee by 5 mins at least. Its great.

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »
    Find the wide sections great to travel on. They have shorten the journey between listowel and tralee by 5 mins at least. Its great.
    I cant imagine much time is saved, if any it can only be measured in seconds, its more the safety implications of the older road have been improved. The old junction up to Relihans was incredibly dangerous particularly coming from the Tralee side, being on a blind bend as it was.

I noticed a big difference though travelling it. Great they gotten rid of those bad bends. Only thing to worry about be potholes when they happen!

doovdela wrote: »
    Only thing to worry about be potholes when they happen!
    Id say you will be waiting awhile..

Id say you will be waiting awhile..

I hope so....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I cant imagine much time is saved, if any it can only be measured in seconds, its more the safety implications of the older road have been improved. The old junction up to Relihans was incredibly dangerous particularly coming from the Tralee side, being on a blind bend as it was.

Definitely saves a bit of time. I'm commuting on it every morning. It hasn't really added any new overtaking opportunities however so you're still at the mercy of schoolbusses and donkeys travelling 45 mph.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

xxyyzz wrote: »

Definitely saves a bit of time. I'm commuting on it every morning. It hasn't really added any new overtaking opportunities however so you're still at the mercy of schoolbusses and donkeys travelling 45 mph.

Or the cliffords cash and carry lorry, travelling at 15 miles an hour all the way from Tralee to Listowel.

70 cars behind him and he will still motor on unaffected!

Or the cliffords cash and carry lorry, travelling at 15 miles an hour all the way from Tralee to Listowel.

70 cars behind him and he will still motor on unaffected!

Ha..He is an institution on that road!
    A very slow one, mind!:mad:

Ha..He is an institution on that road!
    A very slow one, mind!:mad:
    Some evenings when I'm caught behind him, I wonder is he actually starting he's deliverys for;the next day he is going so slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

xxyyzz wrote: »

The lack of additional stretches for overtaking and wide hard shoulders are the only gripes I have with it. I find it surprising they weren't planned for as the above is an all too common occurrence.

To put a cap on this thread, i took some pics of the finished Bridge today. Been meaning to for ages.

Here is the complete set taken during construction to finish.

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_7517_zps69dfeffd.jpg

IMG_5489.jpg

IMG_7518_zps2fb0a3a2.jpg

Allmans are still working on this project!

Allmans are still working on this project!
    Yes, there is still finishing out work being done, can be much left now though.
    IMG_7518_zps2fb0a3a2.jpg

A point to note also is the layby where i took this picture from appears to be a police car parking spot, there was a sign up saying 'Oficial vehicle parking only'

Yes, there is still finishing out work being done, can be much left now though.
    IMG_7518_zps2fb0a3a2.jpg

A point to note also is the layby where i took this picture from appears to be a police car parking spot, there was a sign up saying 'Oficial vehicle parking only'
    That official vehicle parking only space is reserved for the cliffords cash and carry driver, he needed somewhere to park on he's overnights between tralee and listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That official vehicle parking only space is reserved for the cliffords cash and carry driver, he needed somewhere to park on he's overnights between tralee and listowel.

Armed to the teeth in case someone tries to rob his truck in the middle of the night. They should include the N69 in "The World's Most Dangerous Roads".:eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »

Armed to the teeth in case someone tries to rob his truck in the middle of the night. They should include the N69 in "The World's Most Dangerous Roads".:eek:
    You should live closer to the listowel side of it, there's a man known locally as jj who routinely likes to lie down on the main road early in the mornings. I had a close shave with him about 6 months ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was this project not completed before Christmas though? I thought the improved section I drove through around New Year was this project or is there an additional section being improved?

But he only lives a short distance away and always parked the truck at his house for years and years?

Why would he park it on the road where it will definatly be broken into at night!!

But he only lives a short distance away and always parked the truck at his house for years and years?

Why would he park it on the road where it will definatly be broken into at night!!
    It was meant as a joke, if you have ever travelled behind him you would know he is what you might call a relaxed driver. 15-20 mph tops. Tralee to listowel may require an overnight!

Hard to convey humour on the old tinternet.

It was meant as a joke, if you have ever travelled behind him you would know he is what you might call a relaxed driver. 15-20 mph tops. Tralee to listowel may require an overnight!

Hard to convey humour on the old tinternet.

Ah !
    I gets ya now!
    Indeed, he is the slowest driver in the county......so .....slow.....:rolleyes:

ongarboy wrote: »
    Was this project not completed before Christmas though? I thought the improved section I drove through around New Year was this project or is there an additional section being improved?

No. Just some final works around the edges, including landscaping, tidying up etc. A bit like painting the house and doing the garden after building the house.

No. Just some final works around the edges, including landscaping, tidying up etc. A bit like painting the house and doing the garden after building the house.

Do you know what that layby is for? Usually if its a for a Garda car its signposted as such?

Do you know what that layby is for? Usually if its a for a Garda car its signposted as such?

Its a set down area for maintaining a Petrol Interceptor.

When the Interceptor is being sucked out the truck can park there without interfering with traffic flow on the mainline. There are two other areas where this happens which are less obvious.

A Petrol Interceptor is a chamber located between the road drainage network and the outfall stream which is designed to remove petrochemicals from the runoff before it is discharged to the stream. It acts as a Pollution Control measure.

Its a set down area for maintaining a Petrol Interceptor.

When the Interceptor is being sucked out the truck can park there without interfering with traffic flow on the mainline. There are two other areas where this happens which are less obvious.

A Petrol Interceptor is a chamber located between the road drainage network and the outfall stream which is designed to remove petrochemicals from the runoff before it is discharged to the stream. It acts as a Pollution Control measure.
    Or maybe a Go safe van for us cynics?

Interesting. I assume the Petrochemichals would come from the surface of the road due to the tarring process?

• Advertisement

Interesting. I assume the Petrochemichals would come from the surface of the road due to the tarring process?

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Mainly from spillages etc from vehicles passing. Even little droplets from exhausts when they land on the road and it then rains, washes them into the drains where the interceptor does its work.

Advertisement