Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I got a job in NZ

Options
  • 14-03-2012 1:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Had an interview a few weeks ago for a job and found out last week that I got it. The company I got the job with told me to get a one year WHV through visafirst.com as the job offer is down as "casual work" although I will be working 45 hours a week on a building site, I'm at a bit of a stand-still with the visa because I'm still waiting for my passport to come back as I lost my original and I'm waiting for a replacement, it's due back next Tuesday so I can start applying for my visa then.

My employer tells me that I need sufficient funds to live in NZ for a year €2700 which I have. I've also been told by them that I need a return ticket, is that true? Or does the €2700 cover that?

I also heard today from a friend that I need garda clearance. Do I need it for the one year WHV where I'm working on a building site or is it for people who work with the elderly/children etc? I don't see any mention of it on my visa application so I'm a bit confused on the matter. Who actually checks whether you're suitable material for the country you're entering?

Thanks lads, couldn't find the information on google.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

hi the minnium is 2400 euro last i checked and return flight booked or added funds to show you can pay for it
    were in nz are u headed
    no garda clearence is needed for the whv for construction i think its nly for childcare etc
    or unless u have a record u need to submit the info
    dont use visafirst do it yourself and save 100 euro
    also look into travel insurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

jamiecoins wrote: »
    hi the minnium is 2400 euro last i checked and return flight booked or added funds to show you can pay for it
    were in nz are u headed
    no garda clearence is needed for the whv for construction i think its nly for childcare etc
    or unless u have a record u need to submit the info
    dont use visafirst do it yourself and save 100 euro
    also look into travel insurance

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm headed for Christchurch, I start work on the 6th of April so its all hands to the pump on getting passport/visa/flights/money sorted before then.

I've checked it out and apparently it's 2700 now or 4000 NZD. So I have to have 2700+the price of a return ticket, It's probably best book an open return ticket so?

I was actually using visafirst because they open a bank account for you, get you the NZ version of a PPS number and other such things that honestly I don't know the first thing about so I thought it would be handier just get everything in a pack.

What does having a record mean, I was up in court before over Tax and NCT and once for speeding, do I need to declare that or is that completely different? I mean will there be an issue when I get to NZ, could I be refused entry, would they know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

sorry your right last time i checked it was 2400 euro with the exhange rate :(
    yeh a open return could be good or just have the extra cash needed for a return otherwise, visa first will charge u a arm and a leg for that pack
    its easy enought to sort the ird (tax) number and a bank account yourself have a search thru the threads all can be done in nz by your self

id say the record would be criminal like jail time etc id say the car crime would more than likely have no affect at all

are you going to work for can staff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Hey feardark,

Yes they say you need XY and Z in your account before you go over, When I went in 2010 I just about had enough but was never asked, neither has anyone I know of over the last 2 years.

In regards to the job, no need to even mention you have employment, you can if you want may just lead to more questions. Just say your in NZ to work and travel.

In regards to Garda clearance, have never heard of this.

I went over with Visafirst too, was handy, just make sure you have everything printed out - online visa, bank account info etc. as it will amke it handier when you get there.

If you need to know anything else let me know, I live in NZ for a year from Nov 2010 - Nov 2011.

Advertisement