Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Running Gone !

Options
  • 14-03-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Will any franchise running back be heralded as one of the greatest running back's of all time after Madden 12?

So who's leading the charts for smash mouth football ! Lets look at the numbers!

1. Jamal Charles

1314 yards 9 Touchdowns 217 attempts 6 fumbles
    Yards per carrier: 6 yards
    Average yards per game: 146 yards

31% of Charles's yards have come after the first hit so although he's making people miss he doesn't mind running in between his tackles. Now i can only guess but Charles has 15 rushes over 20 yards with a long of 56. Thats a minimum of 300 yards but I'd say 450-500 is much closer. If we say 450 thats 34% of his yards have come on big plays.

Charles seems to be a player that can rush the outside hit his blocks. He has though played smash mouth football through the middle as well !

Charles may have the most yards in the BFL but he's also the most over used running back in the league. With 217 attempts already at week 10 can he keep it up? Or will we see a " Larry Johnson affect " next season.

Backup: Fred Jackson , Criminally under used with only 11 attempts for 58 yards . That's a measly 4.8% of the carriers.

2. Chris Johnson (Lions)

1209 yards 15 Touchdowns 166 attempts
    Yards per carrier : 7.2 yards
    Average yards per game: 134 yards

Last season the Lions did not realize what team they were. Desean Jackson's injury and subsequent banning from the dressing room has refocused the team into a run first offense. Chris Johnson is leading his team on the ground. 15 touchdowns is a good and a bad thing. The lions are reliant on this gifted individual. 25 % of CJ's run's have come after the first hit. Which leads me to believe the Lions are rushing primarily outside with CJ and inside with there back up. Johnson also has at least one rush for 88 yards so he's being breaking of massive plays with his speed.

Will a reliance on there running back be end of any play off dreams. Or will DeSean come back at the right time to stretch the field even further?

Back up: Willis Mcgahee 49 attempts to 166 attempts for CJ is a good return Thats 22% of the work load. Mcgahee has a an per carrier average of 5.5 .

3. Darren McFadden (Colts)
    1060 Yards 14 Touchdowns 172 attempts
    Per carrier average: 6.1 yards
    Average per game: 117 yards

Name me two players on this current Colts team? ...... Veron Davis and Darren "Glass man " McFadden. This team is has two of the greatest athletes the NFL has to offer. Lets see what McFadden brings to the party! Just like the Lions the Colt's survive on touchdowns from touchdowns from there top running back and top Tight end . A similar trend 34% of his yards come after the first hit similar to Charles so Mcfadden mixes up Inside and outside runs.

Backup: Taiwan Jones 14 attempts 65 yards ! This complete disregard for anyone else in there run game. That's only 7.5% of the carries. Not good if your main running back's name is " Glass man"

4. Maurice Jones Drew ( Raiders)
    1045 yards 10 touchdowns 170 attempts
    Yard per carrier: 6.1
    Average yards per game: 116 yards

Run first Run Second Run Third ... Pass fourth ... no no . Punt fourth The Raiders seem to have hired Brian Schottenheimer as there Offensive coordinator. If anyone can take the punishment its Mojo! Having played against Mojo.

Mojo is making things happen on his own. He'll run away from his blockers if need or he stick with them for 20 yards. The Raiders have 12 rushing attempts that have gone for over 20 yards. Thats a minimum of 240 yards in reality I'd say its also in 450 500 yard range.

One things for sure if he you stop the Raiders run game you win the game....

Back up: He's not a back up he's a full back ! 21 attempts for 138 yards and 5 touchdowns ! This is what a full back should do ! Thats 10% of the workload coming from the forgotten position. Worryingly no other running back is getting any time in the backfield

5. Ray Rice (Packers)

1005 yards 11 Touchdowns 145 attempts
    Yard per carrier : 6.9 yards per carrier
    Average yard per game: 111 yards

Ray Rice is the "New Mojo" Last season Rice led the league in rushing. This year the packers have decided to try a west coast offense with a danger man in the backfield. Very Andy Reid like. Pass the ball for a bit and catch the defense napping with a big run. Ray Rice's biggest achievement this year is only one fumble. That's only .6% turnover rate from your running back ! That is an unbelievable security blanket for second year rookie Jake Locker to fall back on !

With the Balance the Packers are showing its hard not to see them in the NFC Conference game at the very least.

Back up : Again not a running back Its Jake Locker starting Quarter back. 18 attempts for 155 yards and 1 touchdown is an excellent return of a tuck and run QB. Thats 11% of the rushing.

Now I'm giving an honourable mentions to Mr Woodhead

6. Danny Woodhead (Bills) {No not Arian Foster Berty! :mad::mad: }
    972 yards 10 Touchdowns 95 Attempts
    Yards per carrier: 10.2 yards per carrier
    Average Yards per game: 108 yards

Who loves the run ? Who needs the run ? Who loses if they can run ?
    The answer to all 3 of those question is the Buffalo Bills Danny Woodhead used to be described has a system running back. No longer with 13 weeks last year Woodhead pushed Ray Rice all the way until his overuse caused a Hip injury which ended his hopes of more yards.

Danny Woodhead longest run of the season was 100 yards and a touchdown ! If Danny Woodhead does not follow his block's he gets tackled. Only 11% of Woodhead's carriers come after the first hit. Thats the good news for other teams in the BFL. The Bad news ? Arian Foster is back of week 11 people ! The Dolphins/The Chiefs/The Patriots/The Giants/The Colts/ The Cowboys you all have one thing in common. Foster is coming for you !

Side note: One of the reason Woodhead has got so many yard is because of the best full back in the league in Vonta Leach. That is all.....

Back up : Mike Goodson 295 yards 2 touchdowns and 53 attempts. That's 35% of the carriers. The best backup in the top 6 of the NFL.

Until next time sports fans ! :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What no jahvid best?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Felix Jones has been banished from the Raiders backfield because of his fumbles. I think I've got a great shot at the running title, with 4 CPU games coming up I could well get 1000 yards over the course of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I really want to move the Colts towards more passing (was a top passing team in the first 2 seasons) and I have started to use my wide receiver a little better so I'm not totally dependant on Davis. This might see McFadden slip down the rushing rankings as the season goes forward.
    I also need to learn to switch McFadden out once in a while. I tend to allow game flow pick my plays and then hot route/audible once I get a look at the defence.

MJD now leads by 8 yards. One behind in the TD count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

In two of my last 3 games LaGarrette Blount has had just under 400 yards! Watch out, I could come from behind to take the title!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Really annoyed that my last game dropped and when the Raiders played the CPU in the replay Chris Johnson got hardly anything.

MJD still on top, despite simming the Chiefs game, only got 70 rushing yards (66 receiving). It's a real tight race though.

Advertisement