Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second UPC line/connection?

• 14-03-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey folks, was just wondering if anyone has any info on whether UPC offer a second line option? Basically, my landlord's connection (which they also use in the adjacent house) isn't cutting it, so I need to sort out my own connection, but obviously my landlord's own home connection needs to remain as is.

Since we share an address, I am wondering what the deal is with getting essentially a second line or connection. My landlord would prefer to have it under his name, which I think will make it easier anyway as having two accounts under one address could be problematic to set up.

So my main query is whether anyone knows if you can have two plans set up with UPC concurrently at one address.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Can your landlord not upgrade to a higher speed product and you share the cost?

Surely a 100mb/s should me more then enough to satisfy both?

Yes, UPC can install a second connection, but it will be costly and really makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

could you not set it up as a sub address? i.e. if the house is 23 delaine road, you sign up with UPC as 23a delaine road and explain that you are a tenant and have the separate line set up in your name?

it might require running a new line from the street to your house, but it doesn' seem to be a major job as most people would have had that re-don when they upgraded to 100mbps.

its got to be worth a try anyway. just ring UPC up and explain the situation, assuming your landlord can't just upgrade his own broadband to fix your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If you can get a broadband subscription with UPC somehow, you can just take the modem and plug it into the same cable as the existing modem (e.g. if there's a TV socket in the room or else splitting the cable and bringing it to your flat. UPC techs probably won't need to install a new cable, they'll just split an existing cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yep, as long as its in a different name its fine. And if you have a tv point in your room it should work.

Advertisement