Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Options
  • 14-03-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Reading this at the moment, already an avid fan of his earlier work from SnowCrash to The Diamond Age. Have to say that I'm a quarter through and feeling very let down. The plot and characters seem simplistic compared to previous efforts and the influence of Kismet/Chance/Serendipity seems exaggerated, even when compared to previous work.

Anyone else reading/read this and am I being too negative regarding it in comparison to his previous writing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 zumbar

I'm sad to hear that. Reading Anatheam at the moment which is good but heavy going. Was hoping README would be a throw back to Cryptonomicon ...

- which is one of my favorite books of all time ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

zumbar wrote: »
    I'm sad to hear that. Reading Anatheam at the moment which is good but heavy going. Was hoping README would be a throw back to Cryptonomicon ...

- which is one of my favorite books of all time ........

I know this thread has been qiuet for a while but I've just started REAMDE

About 200 pages in.

I have to say its been a long time since i read stephenson, I think i read Snow Crash in the 90s

But i'm liking it, the idea to use MMORPG as a base for the story really works...so far anyway...700 more pages to go!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

giftgrub wrote: »
    But i'm liking it, the idea to use MMORPG as a base for the story really works...so far anyway...700 more pages to go!
    And if he kept it with that, I'd have enjoyed it more. You'll understand what I mean in a bit.

ixoy wrote: »
    And if he kept it with that, I'd have enjoyed it more. You'll understand what I mean in a bit.

I'll get back to you on that:)

And its starting to slow up.....

Just finished what seemed like 50 pages background on a female spy....

That copy of Dance with Dragons waiting for me on the shelf is looking more appealling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Hated it - loved his earlier stuff but didn't like this at all.

The first part reads like a boring lecture on how clever he thinks he'd be at designing an MMORPG and from there descends into a badly written thriller.

Advertisement