Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head - Olympia, Dublin - Wed May 30th 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Alwyn Walker

ALWAYS TAKE EARPLUGS TO GIGS.

Eardrum cells do not grow back when damaged.
    Ringing ears? damage being done.

see that tiny pocket in your jeans on the right hand side? that's for earplugs.

Plus, you can usually make out the music better with them IN, while still enjoying being thumped by the music.

Alwyn

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Cant wait for this. Any of ye heading back to fibbers afterwards? they have an after show.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Magaa wrote: »
    Cant wait for this. Any of ye heading back to fibbers afterwards? they have an after show.

Never been to one of these, any good?

Never been to one of these, any good?

Never been in fibbers before!
    http://www.facebook.com/events/320414114678567/

Machine head went to fibbers after their gig in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Magaa wrote: »
    Never been in fibbers before!
    http://www.facebook.com/events/320414114678567/

Machine head went to fibbers after their gig in 2007

The after party is in Fibbers Ormond Quay btw. Not Fibber Magees on Parnell St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

ALWAYS TAKE EARPLUGS TO GIGS.

Eardrum cells do not grow back when damaged.
    Ringing ears? damage being done.

see that tiny pocket in your jeans on the right hand side? that's for earplugs.

Alwyn

Funny, I thought that little pocket was for a condom or a guitar pick. :rolleyes:

Genuinely, I see your point. But my question was relating specifically to Machine Head, since I saw a few comments about how loud they were. I was at My Bloody Valentine in Manchester a few years ago and they were so loud that the bar handed out earplugs beforehand. All seems rather unnecessary to me (the volume, not the earplugs), but I guess my question was also about whether the noise was due to the band or the nature of the venue/sound set-up. I've never seen a metal gig in the Olympia, only weedy indie bands and comedians, so not sure what to expect.

Looking forward to the gig, regardless! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Machine Head are a live band, a great band, a powerful band....but also a loud band

The last time I saw them I was very careful not to stray too near the speakers (even with earplugs) and it's the only time in recent memory I can remember going to a gig and later complaining of the loss of hearing in both ears for a considerable period afterwards

For me, their soundman is to blame, because the audio is just clipping and can't go any higher - it makes no difference to bring down the audio and have a quieter and more peaceful gig for everyone (and that means afterwards you'll be able to talk to your friends about how great it was instead of wondering if you just developed tinnitus)

Well, I'm sorted for the tinnitus already, but wouldn't be super keen on making it worse. Hope my earplugs work!

Anyone know if the bar stays open during the gig? (In case my poor feeble ears need a break.) As far as I can remember whenever I've been to the Olympia in the past, they've bolted the doors during showtime...

tattykitty wrote: »
    Well, I'm sorted for the tinnitus already, but wouldn't be super keen on making it worse. Hope my earplugs work!

Anyone know if the bar stays open during the gig? (In case my poor feeble ears need a break.) As far as I can remember whenever I've been to the Olympia in the past, they've bolted the doors during showtime...

Yeah id like to know this too

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Alwyn Walker

The volume of a gig can be affected by
    -the surrounding area (residents complaining etc)
    -the management of the venue (for the ears and working conditions of their staff) and how much they bow to the pressure from residents. They can limit the amps.
    -the soundman himself

So bottom line is that you never know how loud a gig is gonna be.

SO TAKE EARPLUGS!!!

Alwyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Caught them last time out they played Dublin, we were up in the balcony and they were stupidly loud. By far the loudest gig I’ve ever witnessed and I’ve been to a few hundred.

Fair enough if your near the front you ears are going to suffer regardless who you see. They take it to extremes, couldn’t make anything out bar horrid noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Ticket check, ear plugs check.. now to wait.... :D

Anyone know when the band are likely to hit the stage? I'm meeting a mate first and we'll probably miss the support - don't want to risk missing MH! (Though if they're as loud as everyone's saying they are, we'll hear them from the pub anyway! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

tattykitty wrote: »
    Anyone know when the band are likely to hit the stage? I'm meeting a mate first and we'll probably miss the support - don't want to risk missing MH! (Though if they're as loud as everyone's saying they are, we'll hear them from the pub anyway! :eek:)

MH due on around 21.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Enjoy all... raging I ain't going!!

Brilliant gig! Grateful for the earplugs, unbelievably loud. Ending with Davidian was, of course, ****ing inspired. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

F**k me that was loud! Great gig though, especially Imperium and Darkness Within! Support acts weren't bad either!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Absolutely unreal gig!! Dead label sounded good from the bar :p evile were surprisingly good, and Machine F***ing Head were mind blowing!! Plenty of nice mosh pits aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Unreal gig! Brought earplugs and thank god I did. We were in the pit right up the front, under Adam Duce's nose. Alot better than I remembered from supporting Metallica 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Went to this, could only get seating tickets and was pleasently surprised at how good a gig can be sitting down, hah!

The band were great I have to say, and I was delighted that they decided to turn it town from 11 to 10. I was alo delighted that they threw out some tunes from The Burning Red and Supercharger, both of which seemed intentionally left out at the last gig when they were touring The Blackening.
    I think the band did a goof job of covering a bit from all other albums while still showcasing Locust.

Did anybody else notice though, Flynn seemed to be having trouble with his guitars at a few points early in the show? I think it was during Imperium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Yeah I thought he was having some guitar trouble aswell. After the show Adam Duce came outside the Olympia and signed our tickets and took pictures with us and talked for a while, super sound guy!

Yeah I thought he was having some guitar trouble aswell. After the show Adam Duce came outside the Olympia and signed our tickets and took pictures with us and talked for a while, super sound guy!

He really was nice!
    One of the best gigs iv ever been at

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Just a heads up Evile are playing Belfast and Dublin

Limelight Beflast - 20th Oct
    The Pint - 21st Oct

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Evile-tickets/artist/131033?tm_link=tm_homeA_h3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

They announced it on stage the other night, as they said "Who needs the internet to say when a gig is on" :P

Advertisement