Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Ipad - customer care everyone beware

Options
  • 14-03-2012 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I purchased 2 x new IPad 32GB 3G for myself and my work colleague in view of rolling the units out throughout all our employees as a mobility solution for our business. We unboxed the units and while Unit A functioned 100% - the other unit would not take the earbud insert as it looked like the insert was not in-line on the Ipad. I sent back to Apple support and received it back in the same state with a sheet saying that the unit had accident damage. This Ipad was brand new out of box so either Apple damaged from factory, in transit to the store or at the store where it was purchased.

This is my first dealing with Apple Support and I am completely disgusted with the way I have been treated. I am now ensuring all of our company employees do not purchase any Apple equipment in the future and as we run a large ICT Consultancy firm - no project recommendations will include any Apple products. This is a faceless, un-caring organisation - beware.

I filled out Apple Community Post - they took it down and told me to go to feedback link.

I filled out the Apple Survey in feedback link outlining my experience but as suspected - no one from Apple has been in contact.
    Customer Care does not seem to be high on the Apple agenda. I am ensuring no Apple products are recommended for any potential ICT projects both internally and externally by my company - I think Apple have now lost between Jan - March approx €30,000 in lost revenue in our cosultancy business. This is due to their inability to sort out a simple Ipad problem for me as it was received in a damaged state.

Beware
    Ex-Apple Customer, Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest OP no offense but it sounds like you are overreacting somewhat, Apple are known for offering good support overall.

Whilst I get your unhappy ranting here isn't going to help you get your issue resolved, have you contacted apple support by phone since they returned the item to you and if so what did they advise?

Other then saying you'll end this contract and all that you haven't actually said if you are going to or if you need advice on trying to get the issue resolved so imho i fail to see the point of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why haven't you contacted the retailer you bought it from? Surely that was the first step. especially if you mention you're planning a large roll out I'm sure they'd bend over backwards to improve their chances at getting the order. I agree with Cabaal, you're over-reacting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Firstly, you're a business owner, so technically, this isn't a Consumer Issue.

But I do agree with the previous posters - Apple are generally very well regarded for the high level of customer care that they provide.

What additional steps did you take to achieve resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have to echo previous posters' views re Apple - having dealt with them a few times, I've nothing but praise for their customer service in terms of both helpfulness and efficiency.

If it was damaged since it left Apple's factory, where I'm sure there are fairly high standards of QC, then it would be understandable as being put down to accidental damage. As stated above, with such an issue you should be dealing with your wholesaler/retailer, if there is one as the damage was most likely done at their end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Im sorry, but I know for a fact, working in the games industry, that Apple support is intentionally awful. The amount of times that we send people through to Apple for refund on something (as we have no control over purchases, only apple) who have legitimate issues or problems, and get screwed.

I myself was screwed when I bought an iPad 1 back in the day. I opened it, and found it had 4 dead pixels. Obviously I wanted it replaced, so called them up. According to them, if it has less than 6 dead pixels, they will not replace it or repair it free of charge. I thought this was disgraceful, and they wouldnt budge. Retailer maintained they were not at fault and I had to go through Apple. Wasnt happy. Thats when I did the same as the first poster, and didnt go through any Apple products since. Thus far, my pocket has been much deeper and been very satisfied with the Android platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

ozoneriver wrote: »
    I am now ensuring all of our company employees do not purchase any Apple equipment in the future and as we run a large ICT Consultancy firm - no project recommendations will include any Apple products. This is a faceless, un-caring organisation - beware.

I am ensuring no Apple products are recommended for any potential ICT projects both internally and externally by my company - I think Apple have now lost between Jan - March approx €30,000 in lost revenue in our cosultancy business.

Beware

as an independent IT Consultant myself, i can assure you that i myself am no big fan of apple products, BUT, i would never rule them out if i felt their products would better suit a customer.

rather than apple worrying about a 30k drop in revenue, i think it would hit YOUR business harder were you to exclude them from your IT analysis of a customers business needs. i dont think i need remind you how insignifigant a 30k drop in potential revenue is to apple, it's highly unlikely to make a dent in their bottom line.

a lot of people recommend in fact that you return a faulty product to apple themselves instead of the retailer, just do a search for "iphone fonemenders" on boards and you'll see what i mean.

certainly in cirsumstances like this, your experience has been unfortunate, but i imagine that you bought the product directly from apple as there is no mention in your post of a third party retailer, so i would suggest that you persist with apple, and failing that, lodge a claim with the small claims court with any evidence you have to back up your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Africa wrote: »
    Im sorry, but I know for a fact, working in the games industry, that Apple support is intentionally awful.
    Because the games industry and apple are inextricably linked? :confused:

If Apple's support was intentionally awful, then you wouldn't have people on saying that Apple's support is reknowned for being brilliant.

I sent a 6 month old iPhone 3G back to Apple because the Wifi had stopped working. It actually did have some accidental damage unrelated to the WiFi issue.

I called them up on a Tuesday evening, got a repair number without issue and had a UPS envelope the next morning to put the phone in. The phone was picked up by UPS that day, went to Apple in Cork. They authorised a replacement and it was shipped that Friday, received by myself on Monday morning. That's a 3 working day turnaround for a hardware fault. No other company even comes close to that level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

They are; look how many apps on the iOS are games. They are linked extremely heavily.

Perhaps its better for phones, but I have found them to be awful for iPad hardware problems. My brother who works in Dixons has said the same thing, that they are as awkward as possible about returns or issues pertaining to hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

seamus wrote: »
    That's a 3 working day turnaround for a hardware fault. No other company even comes close to that level of service.

quick OT but worth a mention- SONY, three day turn-around to the UK and back via DHL for a bearing in a laptop fan, and included a vaio branded cleaning cloth too, small gesture but still... :)

cant comment on apple support only to say that i've only ever heard and read positive things about them, which is why i imagined you paid a premium price for a premium product.

that's why this thread surprises me as with any apple product they are renowned too not just for their customer service, but also their build quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Africa wrote: »
    According to them, if it has less than 6 dead pixels, they will not replace it or repair it free of charge.

That's a standard term with most Screen manufacturers, a Dead Pixel Policy. Apples policy seems pretty good. Most laptop manufacturers would employ a 10-20 dead pixel policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think Apple have now lost between Jan - March approx €30,000 in lost revenue in our cosultancy business

So the decision was made 2 months ago to stop using Apple, presumably after a protracted battle with Apple customer service. So why wait 3 months or so to set up an account here to post about them?

I call shenanigans.

I also seriously doubt a "large ICT Consultancy firm" waited a couple of years before even trying the iPads out. At the very least, wouldn't you have got one in, just to see if its worth it? I mean if you're think you're going to be in a position to send €15k/month worth of business thier way, why havn't you explored this avenue before?

nah, definitely shenanigans

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dodge wrote: »
    So the decision was made 2 months ago to stop using Apple, presumably after a protracted battle with Apple customer service. So why wait 3 months or so to set up an account here to post about them?

I call shenanigans.

I also seriously doubt a "large ICT Consultancy firm" waited a couple of years before even trying the iPads out. At the very least, wouldn't you have got one in, just to see if its worth it? I mean if you're think you're going to be in a position to send €15k/month worth of business thier way, why havn't you explored this avenue before?

nah, definitely shenanigans

Plus the fact Apple have a 14 day no quibble return policy. And a procedure for DOA products, even though they hate the term "DOA"

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Apple cs is the best ,misunderstanding I would think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Bababa2012

Hi all,
    I purchased 2 x new IPad 32GB 3G for myself and my work colleague in view of rolling the units out throughout all our employees as a mobility solution for our business. We unboxed the units and while Unit A functioned 100% - the other unit would not take the earbud insert as it looked like the insert was not in-line on the Ipad. I sent back to Apple support and received it back in the same state with a sheet saying that the unit had accident damage. This Ipad was brand new out of box so either Apple damaged from factory, in transit to the store or at the store where it was purchased.

This is my first dealing with Apple Support and I am completely disgusted with the way I have been treated. I am now ensuring all of our company employees do not purchase any Apple equipment in the future and as we run a large ICT Consultancy firm - no project recommendations will include any Apple products. This is a faceless, un-caring organisation - beware.

I filled out Apple Community Post - they took it down and told me to go to feedback link.

I filled out the Apple Survey in feedback link outlining my experience but as suspected - no one from Apple has been in contact.
    Customer Care does not seem to be high on the Apple agenda. I am ensuring no Apple products are recommended for any potential ICT projects both internally and externally by my company - I think Apple have now lost between Jan - March approx €30,000 in lost revenue in our cosultancy business. This is due to their inability to sort out a simple Ipad problem for me as it was received in a damaged state.

Beware

Would have to agree with u on the support side of things. Got an iPhone 3GS a year and a half ago and regretted it almost from the beginning. They only offer support for a year..and after that u get transferred to a service that costs €38. Very disappointing!! In fact a disgraceful money racket. Would never buy again!!
    Battery life is awful..although the same with all the so called "smartphones".
    A fair few technical glitches with them as well.
    The network providers here leave a lot to be desired as well(signal woeful a lot of the time..depending on where u are of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

This Ipad was brand new out of box so either Apple damaged from factory, in transit to the store or at the store where it was purchased.

eh, bring it back to the store it was purchased. Its they who sold you a damaged product, not Apple.

If it was a warranty issue, you may be passed on to Apple, but your contract is at all times with the store you purchased it from.

As for the BS about "we run a large consultancy firm" - naw, doesn't add up. Cos if you were "large" you'd have a direct line to your IT supplier / store and they'd correct the issue in seconds and as another poster said, you'd probably have teseted Apple products a lot sooner than now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bababa2012 wrote: »
    Would have to agree with u on the support side of things. Got an iPhone 3GS a year and a half ago and regretted it almost from the beginning. They only offer support for a year..and after that u get transferred to a service that costs €38. Very disappointing!! In fact a disgraceful money racket. Would never buy again!!
    Battery life is awful..although the same with all the so called "smartphones".
    A fair few technical glitches with them as well.
    The network providers here leave a lot to be desired as well(signal woeful a lot of the time..depending on where u are of course)

"Offer support for a year"?? - Telephone support is 90 days, and if its warranty its the same as most others, 1 year. They offer one of the most extensive technical websites I've ever seen, and its free, but very few people use it, hence the charge for support. It used to be the case that if it was diagnosed a Hardware fault between the 90 days and 12 months, they would refund the support cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Bababa2012

Quote:whiterebel

"Offer support for a year"?? - Telephone support is 90 days, and if its warranty its the same as most others, 1 year. They offer one of the most extensive technical websites I've ever seen, and its free, but very few people use it, hence the charge for support. It used to be the case that if it was diagnosed a Hardware fault between the 90 days and 12 months, they would refund the support cost.[/Quote]

Well they helped me out (over the phone)once ore twice within the year..after that the call went straight through to the €38 help section. Website wouldn't have been much help as I couldn't get online. They should offer phone assistance for there product like most other companies do(if they want to keep the customer sweet).
    If I have a problem with my Philips tv.. I ring Philips and they answer the phone. They will assist no problem on technical questions. The warranty with them deals with the repair/replacement end of things
    The idea of a 90 day phone support is mean/ miserable... to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm closing this thread as the OP is posting in a commercial nature. Business do not have the same consumer rights as individuals. Purchasing on behalf of a company invokes different levels of SLAs which the OP should have factored in during his purchase.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement