Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TK Maxx- Any Good?

• 14-03-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Anyone find TK Maxx any good for men's clothes? I've picked up bits for the wife from time to time. Hard to find something for myself tho.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's good if you have patience to go through rails and rails of tightly packed clothes. Unlike other stores, items are not neatly laid out on shelves for you to easily spot what you like. This is a turn off for some.

However, the upside is that you can get some great bargains of designer one off type pieces for majorly knocked down prices. I've got great jeans and tops/sweaters there. The problem with buying in other chainstores is that you invariably bump into someone out who is wearing the same thing. That never happens to me with a TK Maxx item (not that this is a big deal for some but I enjoy wearing something unique). I've never had problems with quality and the clothes I've bought are really durable.

There is a lot of hideous stuff on the racks too that makes you wonder what men in Ireland would purchase them but just look beyond the more garish stuff and you'll find something. I haven't bought shoes there but mates have and recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Cheers. There is one near where I now work. What are the best brands? Usually shirts and ties for work. Am looking for style more than fashion. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Antibac wrote: »
    Cheers. There is one near where I now work. What are the best brands? Usually shirts and ties for work. Am looking for style more than fashion. Thanks!

I agree with everything the previous writer says. The thing to remember when shopping there is that there is a reason the clothes are marked down. It could be simply excess stock which is then passed on to the TK Maxx chain to sell. It could be an unusual size which never sold (great if you are either very small/very large!). In a small number of cases it could be that there is a fault. For example I bought my brother a great designer shirt there at a knockdown price. Only when he tried it on we discovered that the cuffs were on back to front. So, vigilance is required. I find men's clothing excellent there. Particularly good are fine knit fitted cardigans and underwear (CK etc) which are genuinely reduced. I wouldn't recommend a particular brand because, in the words of Forrest Gump, 'you never know what you're gonna get'. A brand may be there one week and then disappear completely. You just have to keep checking in and buy when you see something. I wouldn't go in with a set shopping list because you won't get everything. Good luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sallyr

aristocat wrote: »
    I agree with everything the previous writer says. The thing to remember when shopping there is that there is a reason the clothes are marked down. It could be simply excess stock which is then passed on to the TK Maxx chain to sell. It could be an unusual size which never sold (great if you are either very small/very large!). In a small number of cases it could be that there is a fault. For example I bought my brother a great designer shirt there at a knockdown price. Only when he tried it on we discovered that the cuffs were on back to front. So, vigilance is required. I find men's clothing excellent there. Particularly good are fine knit fitted cardigans and underwear (CK etc) which are genuinely reduced. I wouldn't recommend a particular brand because, in the words of Forrest Gump, 'you never know what you're gonna get'. A brand may be there one week and then disappear completely. You just have to keep checking in and buy when you see something. I wouldn't go in with a set shopping list because you won't get everything. Good luck. :D
    I agree with ongar boy and aristocat, patience is def essential when shopping at tk maxx, the reason the clothes are marked down is due 2 the fact that some are out of season clothes, especially the designer labels.
    TK Maxx is a great place for mens clothes if looking for Tommy Hilfiger, YSL, Ralph Lauren, Pierre Cardin etc.
    Also if you purchase an item and do find something seriously wrong with it you can get a refund. However sometimes i find when buying designer clothes on occasion you will find them cheaper in the designer shops when there is a sale on rather than in TK Maxx..
    Hope this was of some help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Thanks guys. Spent my lunch in there. Got few bits. Am liking there clearance section got a few bargains there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Its good for t shirts and shirts (casual). You can get Penguin there, which is a brand I like, and generally I just root through the L and XL racks till I find a few things I want to try. I normally go into the changing room with about 6 things and generally end up buying maybe 2. So that's the conversion rate normally.

Work stuff I'd avoid, the ties tend to be horrible and the shirts and usually those crappy ones. Go to M&S if you want good quality but affordable work stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I LOVE TK Max for jackets and coats.. as others have said, if you have the time and the patience you can come away with some serious bargains :D

Don't be put off by the mayhem.. get in there and have a good root ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

TK is good for quality mens clothes, outdoor jackets, shoes, cut price runners whatever you like as long as you can find it but for fashion and finding clothes than fit your style in that jumble can be tricky I find River Island great for buying clothes for going out, hoodies, jeans, tees..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

its grest place for buying boxers,they have good quality ones there,i got some kickers some jeep and some ck boxers in there for about 7 euro a pair,cant go wrong..

i was in there last week and saw a few nice superdry shirts for around 30 euro each,i woulda bought 2 of them but i only had a tenner in my pocket,i was only browsing,youll usually pay at least 80 euro for a superdry shirt in other stores..

ive looked through the jeans rack a few times but could not really find anything in my size and the little they did have in my size wasnt really appealing to me

looked through their runners a few times and i probly would never buy runners from there,your betetr off goin jd sports if u want sporty footwear..

its definately work goin in and spending 30 minutes lookin aorund before you go to other stores and spend your money as u might find a nice unexpected bargain

Advertisement