Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox released 10yrs ago in Europe

Options
  • 14-03-2012 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

This day ten years ago I was discovering the delights of Halo and racing through London in PGR. God I feel old(er):eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Halo and Midtown Madness 3 included in the box - Midtown Madness saw about 30 seconds of play as my entire life became consumed by Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Vyse wrote: »
    This day ten years ago I was discovering the delights of Halo and racing through London in PGR. God I feel old(er):eek:

Funnily enough I got nostalgic a few weeks ago and fired up Halo (the original not the HD one) still a fantastic game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I remember getting mine with PGR, I missed out on Halo when ordering :( (got it whenever Microsoft gave the loyalty games away after they dropped the price of the console so quickly)

It's sitting in my parents' garage now, and I'm actually going home to Belfast this weekend to get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive no idea where my Xbox is atm :( memories tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ive no idea where my Xbox is atm :( memories tho :)

My original one has a busted drive as I thought I left a game in it when it eventually red ringed. Yeah I didn't know the original xbox could either!

I set it up earlier on this year to play it for a bit and it just went after a few hours of Halo 2. The joypad was the worse thing to get used to again. The size of the thing!

I'm sure I still have the disk of a driving game ( can't remember the title) and Jet Set Radio Future lying somewhere. Still have a few originals that I hoped would play on my 360 (MGS Substance was one, but the HD collection sorted me out. Finally!).

Bought it with Halo 1 and never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Vyse wrote: »

Wow, is it a decade already! I had a different gamertag for the first year or so on LIVE and then missed two more years when I moved to a house in the country that Eircom promised to have broadband in the area within three months... still have a nice big seven years clocked up on my tag... anyone beat that? Anyone actually got 10 years???

Like the previous poster, I started out hooked on Halo: CE which I still love and keep meaning to get the HD version.

Over the course of that ten years, certain games have stood out for me and others held my interest so long that they've reserved a place in my heart, right beside the original Star Wars and LOTR ;)

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Halo: CE
    Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow
    Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    Far Cry 2
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Ghost Recon 2
    Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    G.R.A.W.2

and I'm sure I'll be adding BF3 and Skyrim to that list in 2022 :p

Here's to a great decade of gaming!

chin_grin wrote: »

I set it up earlier on this year to play it for a bit and it just went after a few hours of Halo 2. The joypad was the worse thing to get used to again. The size of the thing!

Do you have a 360? The halo games are backwards compatible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I remember searching high and low on launch day for JSRF bit couldn't find it anywhere. Was so disappointed but managed to get Dead or Alive 3, PGR and Halo. had no expectations for Halo as I didn't like FPS but needless to say I was blown away.

I remember GAME were charging €80 a game. Got mine in Virgin for €70 with the console for €480. Happy days.

KOTOR still ranks as my favourite XBox game by a good distance though.

I remember getting the Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Game that was one of the first games you could use voice commands through the head set in, shouting "Open, Flash and Clear" at the telly thinking 'Wow, isn't technology amazing?" to my 13 year old self haha, thinking of it now it was pretty naff.

The first week of playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live absolutely blew my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I got my first XBL sub in 2004 as eircom FINALLY got Boradband in our area, I remember hopping into Halo 2 online for the first time and the first thing i heard was an American calling me Gay..... not much has changed ;)

• Advertisement

I sold my xbox to finance my xbox 360!

First games I had were Halo and Midtown Madness, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

GAAman wrote: »
    Do you have a 360? The halo games are backwards compatible

I do indeedy. And I know! Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I didnt get my Xbox at launch, as I was 13 I had to wait until Christmas, but I got Jet Set Radio Future and PGR on the same disc bundled with my Xbox, FIFA 2003 (the free kicks were so fun), NBA Live 2003 and Rainbow Six 3.

About 6 months later a friend in school convinced me to get Xbox Live and actually gave me a burned copy of Halo 2, which he said he bought for €20 from a guy on a street in town, which I didnt think would work but did, and absolutely flawlessly, so I played Rainbow Six 3 and Halo 2 online and was blown away. Never looked back from online gaming, was absolutely hooked from then on. Went on to really embrace footy games online like PES 4 onwards and FIFA 2006 onwards and eventually competed internationally in FIFA. I remember when the 360 launched, I had just sold my original Xbox to fund the 360, when I got home I got a call from a woman in Microsoft telling me she was sending a courier with a free Xbox 360 due to qualifying for the FIFA Interactive World Cup, and it came with PGR3, FIFA 06 World Cup and Perfect Dark Zero. Got the 360 a day early and it red-ringed when I took it out of the box :pac:, called the woman and she sent another one. Loved the original Xbox, feckin huge thing it was, and the controller was the size of a frizbee, although they did bring out a more reasonably sized one which was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Got mine one christmas with Halo and Midtown Madness and the smaller joypads, never had her online though sadly but it got plenty of use all the same.

chin_grin wrote: »
    I do indeedy. And I know! Great fun.

Just wanted to make sure, a friend of mine was lamenting about how much he missed the original xbox halo games. When I took halo 1 over to my xbox, put the disc in and started playing it he looked at me like a flock of pigeons had just flew out of my arse! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Remember my brother getting it and having to sneak into his room to play halo etc :D wish I had set up a live account but I was really young and internet 10 years ago in Ireland was equivalent to the stone ages, not much has changed in 10 years compared to most EU countries :D. Anyone here got 10 beside their GT ? :)

Anyone here got 10 beside their GT ? :)

5 beside it now. I would have 10, except XBL f*cked up and incorrectly barred my account for non payment 5 years ago, said they had written off the gamertag and then wouldn't let me reset it up under the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

maximoose wrote: »
    5 beside it now. I would have 10, except XBL f*cked up and incorrectly barred my account for non payment 5 years ago, said they had written off the gamertag and then wouldn't let me reset it up under the same name.
    Bad times :( I'll have a nice 5 in a few months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Remember my brother getting it and having to sneak into his room to play halo etc :D wish I had set up a live account but I was really young and internet 10 years ago in Ireland was equivalent to the stone ages, not much has changed in 10 years compared to most EU countries :D. Anyone here got 10 beside their GT ? :)

I've got 7. Most out of anyone on my friends list I think.

Advertisement