Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating someone else's phone (without their consent)?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

I presume it's not straightforward to locate someone else's phone without their consent e.g. Sharing locations through an app?

Basically my boss has asked me to find out where someone's phone is as they claim to be abroad but are thought to be lying. He said Prime Time last night made it possible through google and Facebook (I didn't see prime time myself).

What's the story, is it possible? Legal? Privacy issues etc?
    Thanks
    Rez

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Only possible if the person grants an app permission to use their location and even then only if they have location sharing allowed on their device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You could place a trojan on their phone that reports this, but then you'd be breaking the law.

If, on the other hand, you are in communication via email, just check the originator IP in the email header of those sent to you to get where they are (or more correctly the country associated with their Internet connection).

But, by far, the easiest way is to give them a phone call. Unless the person in question claims to be in the UK or a handful of other countries, the tone the caller will hear before he picks up will differ from an Irish one.

For example, an Irish tone would be two ringtones, close together, followed by a longer pause. A more internationally common variant would be a single and longer tone, followed by a pause.

So if you get an Irish tone when you call them and are waiting for them to pick up and the person claims to be in, say, Germany, then they're telling porkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sounds a very dubious request to me.
    Why would he want to know? is the person on holidays or sick. if on holidays then they can be where they want. if sick then they could have a case for harrassment as employment laws are quiet strict about contacting someone if they are on certified sick leave. it could leave the company open to an employment tribunal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I can't think of a legal way without their consent & I don't wan't to see the dodgy solutions posted either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement