Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League Of Ireland Fixtures (WEEK 3) - March 16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    They will bring their usual crowd I'd say, maybe even more than usual.
    Normally they bring the biggest away crowds to the Cross.
    Looking forward to it, crap start time though, eats into the drinking time before the game. I expect a big crowd outside the gates at ko time.
    Ebbs wrote: »
    We always send good crowds down, however, the 7.05 kick off really makes a difference getting down. Wont make it myself due to work. Last time I can remember winning in Cork was lifting the trophy...albeit the first division...in cobh.

Slightly optimistic about tomorrow though.

Ya KO time will make few stay at home. Rovers bring good support alright, best by far to Cross.

Agree ShamoBuc I think it be wise to leave little early if you want catch al the game.

Should be great night, just hope result goes the right way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Problem with TV games and work is it gives you the option of not going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Problem with TV games and work is it gives you the option of not going.

For many a City supporter, Rovers coming to town is the game they do not miss. I've even promised to do the hoovering Saturday to keep in the good books with OH:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We always send good crowds down, however, the 7.05 kick off really makes a difference getting down. Wont make it myself due to work. Last time I can remember winning in Cork was lifting the trophy...albeit the first division...in cobh.

And even that was only a 1-1 draw

Don't think I'll make it down...might go to the Shels Derry game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dfx- wrote: »
    And even that was only a 1-1 draw

Don't think I'll make it down...might go to the Shels Derry game
    I'll bring along last years jersey for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully we can get something out of the Derry game, Dawson and Caso being back could be the difference. Going to be tough. What's Derrys travelling support like these days? Last time they played in Tolka they brought about 50, so little they just put them in the end of the Main Stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hopefully we can get something out of the Derry game, Dawson and Caso being back could be the difference. Going to be tough. What's Derrys travelling support like these days? Last time they played in Tolka they brought about 50, so little they just put them in the end of the Main Stand.

We played them in the FD two years ago in Tolka and they were all (50 or so) dressed up in Hawaiian (sp?) shirts in the Riverside with inflatables.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We played them in the FD two years ago in Tolka and they were all (50 or so) dressed up in Hawaiian (sp?) shirts in the Riverside with inflatables.

Of all the FD games I went to in Tolka, that's the only one I saw Shels lose, great poached winner from Mark Farren..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Won't make it down this time. Can't get away in time. Will be watching in the pub. :)

Heading to Belfast Tuesday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »

Heading to Belfast Tuesday though.

Comrades eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

There was a few hundred of them.....and they were in their bermudas with inflatables :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Heading to Athlone for the Harps game tonight, can't wait. Hard to call it as Harps have packed a hell of a lot of inconsistency into two games so far. Decent at times.. then, from nowhere, suicide defending.

There should be a decent Harps crowd there so should be good fun. Up to the point where the suicidal defending happens again at any rate.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Comrades eh? :D

Well, we don't take shits in their buses, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pi**ing rain.

Coldish.

Roll on eight bells.

Conditions should give plenty more red cards this weekend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Turned into a lovely evening down here after a wet day.

Should make for a perfect pitch.

• Advertisement

Seen a few Rovers in the Red Cow Luas car park at 4pm, tad late to be leaving Dublin espesically with the traffic!?

Cant wait only 75 minutes to kickoff.

Come on City!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Seen a few Rovers in the Red Cow Luas car park at 4pm, tad late to be leaving Dublin espesically with the traffic!?
    If they were driving then the new Motorway only takes about two and a half hours. Not loads of time, but still enough assuming they left pretty soon after. Who's to say they were even heading to Cork? Could have been off to a pub somewhere :D

Now THAT was a bobble! :pac:

Unlucky for Rovers that it bounced at that exact spot at it completly changed direction afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Well arnt we unlucky tonight.

Thats another red card that will be resined. Such a boring game of football, reminds me of football on the Simpsons. 11 men behind the ball since the first minute so we decide to kick it across the back four, Kav or Dan head it back to us, kick it between us...rinse and repeat.

Gary Twigg saves us again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Unlucky Cork.

Harsh but Rovers deserve something for fighting so hard with a man less. Especially considering Cork's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Gary Twigg is just a poor man's Philly Hughes

Gary Twigg saves us again.

He could've been taken off instead of or as well as GON tonight given the service the two of them had (the late goals against Bohs in 2009 was another occasion), he was much poorer than Brennan who was also taken off....but you can never take him off. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'd have been very happy with a draw before the game, but that felt like a defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

hunter164 wrote: »
    Gary Twigg is just a poor man's Philly Hughes

Hughes would eat Twigg for breakfast, have the branch for lunch, the roots for dinner and the bark for tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Terrible defending by City to give away the goal,especially the fact it was against ten men.

Overall I suppose Rovers deserved the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Hughes would eat Twigg for breakfast, have the branch for lunch, the roots for dinner and the bark for tea.

And he'd still be banging the goals in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Come on Town! 2-1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

dfx- wrote: »
    He could've been taken off instead of or as well as GON tonight given the service the two of them had (the late goals against Bohs in 2009 was another occasion), he was much poorer than Brennan who was also taken off....but you can never take him off. :pac:

I thought Brennan was pretty good tonight, he seemed the only danger. Twigg had a few nice touches but ultimately he was going to win one ball in the air.

Surprised with everyone saying Rovers only decided just deserved the draw barely. We were terrible going forward but the best team throughout. Doesnt say much but Cork just gave the ball back to us :/

"In the 2nd half @ShamrockRovers' Ronan Finn completed 81.8% of passes whilst maintaining an impressive 100% driible completion rate #loilive"

Yet, I thought he did nothing and had no end ball. None the less, nice to see Stats in LOI.

• Advertisement

Cork played for a draw and nearly got a win by dint of Jannsen's lapse of judgement. Overall a draw was an OK result. Thought Powell should never have got a red after been put into a hospital ball by Billy. Yellow maybe. What was Deano's red at Pats like? Are the referees on a quota this season?

Red for Derry

Shels joint top :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Shockin crowd from Derry. Even worse defending. Bring on the ****in hoops.

City are 4/1 at home vs Rovers on Friday.

Bar euro games against big clubs I've never seen us so big.

Are Shamrock Rovers that good?:eek:

No.

Fair play to Rovers for taking the game to City and getting the equaliser but they were very disappointing overall.

No.

Fair play to Rovers for taking the game to City and getting the equaliser but they were very disappointing overall.

We weren't great but you were at home and you just sat behind the ball for most of the game and picked it up towards the end against ten men after getting a jammy goal.

Philip Hughes. What a man. Cronin looking a serious signing. Derry didn't look great except for McLaughlin. Thought they had a chance that crossed the line though.

stovelid wrote: »
    We weren't great but you were at home and you just sat behind the ball for most of the game and picked it up towards the end against ten men after getting a jammy goal.

Agree with you.

Don't like to see us give up possession to the away team so easily at home.

But I think we did up our game at the end of the first half and the goal came after some strong pressure.

But after the sending off we stopped pressing the ball and Tadhg Purcell capped a terrible display with an awful attempt at goal.

Can't imagine that was a great game for TV. No shots on target in first half???

But it had other qualities I guess.

Overall, a big improvement in defence compared to last week and finally we are off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CSF wrote: »
    Philip Hughes. What a man. Cronin looking a serious signing. Derry didn't look great except for McLaughlin. Thought they had a chance that crossed the line though.

was down in Section E main stand, so didn't see it, are you talking about the one that came after the free hit the bar?

The ref bottled a fairly obvious pen for us down the Ballybough End in the second half though, their player dived across the box with his arm out to stop a ball from going for a corner, and didn't succeed, so we got a corner :confused:

The goal looked weird, how did the keeper not save it?

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    was down in Section E main stand, so didn't see it, are you talking about the one that came after the free hit the bar?
    I'm struggling to remember what came before it. MNS will clarify anyway. Couldn't give a ****e either way:)
    00053189-674.jpg

Would have been delighted with draw at the start on game just to get on the board, but that was sickening at the end.

Rovers deserved it on the balance of play, and really City should have controlled the game better once Rovers went down to ten men.

Not seen replays, but red card looked quiet harsh, was it even a yellow?

Rovers were very predictable though just seemed to go same direct route quiet a bit. I cant remember a save of note until last few minutes.

Great crowd turned out too, just hope we can build on it, but at this early stage Mid table looks out best bet at best this season.

Not seen replays, but red card looked quiet harsh, was it even a yellow?

Yellow maybe but straight red seemed harsh. Billy put him under pressure with a hospital ball and I thought it was just a last minute, mistimed, albeit high, tackle.

Top of the league still. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

there were tickets on sale for next week's match in SDCC Stadium in Tolka this evening, we got 700 tickets.

Is that usual?

First off...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The goal looked weird, how did the keeper not save it?

I was just walking down the steps in the New Stand and have no idea how it went in tbh, can't wait to see it on ShelsTV.
    there were tickets on sale for next week's match in SDCC Stadium in Tolka this evening, we got 700 tickets.

Is that usual?

Flying out so they are too, can't wait for it!

Is that usual?

Supporters coming out of the woodwork? No, I guess not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Top of the league! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I was stood behind the nets for the Shels goal. The 'keeper obviously didn't take into account that the ground was wet and it just slipped under him instead of bouncing right up into his body.

I was up the back of the New Stand for the New Derry effort that rifled off the cross bar and into the ground. It looked like it could have been over the line but my view was obstructed by all the lads in front of me.

MNS and ShelsTV will be a good watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Philly Hughes. The man. The legend.

Tadhg Purcell should give him a call to get some tips on playing with a gut.

Tadhg Purcell should give him a call to get some tips on playing with a gut.

Might be an idea, yous seem to need it all the help yous can get! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement