Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinal Tap's music

Options
  • 14-03-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I just want to come out here and say that Spinal Tap's music is actually good and better than 90% of music today. Songs like Stonehenge are incredibly melodic and have a vigorous valiant atmosphere which I enjoy, I feel like singing on a mountain bare chested at the top of my lungs when I hear that song. Just one question though, do you think Nigel Tufnel's guitar tone is horrendous, its so tinny. Apart from that I like their music, Break Like the Wind for example, Hell Hole, or Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You (the riff in that song is amazing). And Flower People is really uplifting, America sounds Simon and Garfunkel-ish, brilliant songs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

better than 90% of music today

1148_1253230725640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I just want to come out here and say that Spinal Tap's music is actually good and better than 90% of music today. Songs like Stonehenge are incredibly melodic and have a vigorous valiant atmosphere which I enjoy, I feel like singing on a mountain bare chested at the top of my lungs when I hear that song. Just one question though, do you think Nigel Tufnel's guitar tone is horrendous, its so tinny. Apart from that I like their music, Break Like the Wind for example, Hell Hole, or Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You (the riff in that song is amazing). And Flower People is really uplifting, America sounds Simon and Garfunkel-ish, brilliant songs.

I wouldn't say 90% but they do have some good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

chin_grin wrote: »
    1148_1253230725640.jpg

Yep, better than Lady Gaga, better than Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Satryricon, better than the Libertines, The Strokes, Interpol, better than Meshuggah's screaming samey songs, better than Tool boring pretentious noodling, better than...wait I would never get this finished if I kept going on, so you catch my drift? Better than 90% of today's music, a sad reflection of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

better than Tool boring pretentious noodlingQUOTE]
    Woah now!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I wouldn't say 90% but they do have some good songs.

I agree.
    Yep, better than Lady Gaga, better than Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Satryricon, better than the Libertines, The Strokes, Interpol, better than Meshuggah's screaming samey songs, better than Tool boring pretentious noodling, better than...wait I would never get this finished if I kept going on, so you catch my drift? Better than 90% of today's music, a sad reflection of the times.

If you're going to compare. Please stick to the same genre of music. Of course it's going to be better than any pop/indie/screamo sh!te.

But you went too far with Meshuggah.

If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling.

• Advertisement

I agree.

If you're going to compare. Please stick to the same genre of music. Of course it's going to be better than any pop/indie/screamo sh!te.

But you went too far with Meshuggah.

If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling.

Music is music to me, I don't care about tribalistic genres. I go too far because I live on the edge, come on lets be honest with ourselves, Meshuggah is samey, every song has some polyrhythmical idea going on in it with the vocalist going raarrgh. It gets boring after a while, its one dimensional aggressive technical metal, a flexing of musical muscles, and that's cool but it gets annoying when its for every song. Its musical ubersmenchism and as a compassionate guy I'm against the ubersmench. Why is it, that when someone has an opinion that goes against the mainstream, they're called trolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Ok my lovecraftian friend tell us what's really bothering you......:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Oh and yes tufnells tone is horrible but I'd guess they did that deliberately?

Music is music to me, I don't care about tribalistic genres. I go too far because I live on the edge, come on lets be honest with ourselves, Meshuggah is samey, every song has some polyrhythmical idea going on in it with the vocalist going raarrgh. It gets boring after a while, its one dimensional aggressive technical metal, a flexing of musical muscles, and that's cool but it gets annoying when its for every song. Its musical ubersmenchism and as a compassionate guy I'm against the ubersmench. Why is it, that when someone has an opinion that goes against the mainstream, they're called trolls?

Genres only exist so we can describe styles easily without hearing the music. Like a mental waypoint of 'yeah so this sounds like this, so it's this genre'. I don't usually bring them up in conversation but I find them useful nonetheless, I prefer using the "well this band sounds like this band mixed with this one".

My reference to trolling was because you're comparing a specific style of music to every other style. They're just not comparable. At all. You have fans of one or more styles I'll admit, but again you're falling in to the trap that people have opinions and therefore this is one of yours which we're entitled to disagree with. (The Meshuggah one especially, but again that's your opinion which you are entitled to).

If you were to compare Tap to similar bands, then I would agree with you (to a point).

Genres only exist so we can describe styles easily without hearing the music. Like a mental waypoint of 'yeah so this sounds like this, so it's this genre'. I don't usually bring them up in conversation but I find them useful nonetheless, I prefer using the "well this band sounds like this band mixed with this one".

My reference to trolling was because you're comparing a specific style of music to every other style. They're just not comparable. At all. You have fans of one or more styles I'll admit, but again you're falling in to the trap that people have opinions and therefore this is one of yours which we're entitled to disagree with. (The Meshuggah one especially, but again that's your opinion which you are entitled to).

If you were to compare Tap to similar bands, then I would agree with you (to a point).

See I don't see the point of siphoning off bands into neat little categories, the underlying quality of music is universal and transcends genre, so I can and will compare bands of different genres, not based on their style but based on the quality of their music. This is why I think ICE T is just as good as ATDI but not as good as Queen.

• Advertisement

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

This is why I think ICE T is just as good as ATDI but not as good as Queen.

1bf.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Its fitting that a thread about spinal tap is the best laugh iv got in a while in this section.

Spinal Taps music is good but i can't understand how this thread has turned into a discussion on meshuggah unless spinal tap are planning a metal release in the near future :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The only spinal tap song I know is Majesty Of Rock...and its a goodun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

funny-gif-folding-chair.gif

Its fitting that a thread about spinal tap is the best laugh iv got in a while in this section.

Spinal Taps music is good but i can't understand how this thread has turned into a discussion on meshuggah unless spinal tap are planning a metal release in the near future :confused:

I know, for some reason all my threads seem to go off the rails, its always the fault of other posters. Oh I forgot to mention, Rock N Roll creation is a great song, cool riff and the solo is well played.

I know, for some reason all my threads seem to go off the rails, its always the fault of other posters. Oh I forgot to mention, Rock N Roll creation is a great song, cool riff and the solo is well played.

Ahem...who mentioned Meshuggah First?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ahem...who mentioned Meshuggah First?

Yeah but that was in response to the assertion that Spinal Tap isn't better than 90% of today's music so I gave some examples of todays music and how Spinal Tap is superior.

Does anyone think Nigel Tufnel's guitar tone is modelled off Jimmy Page's? I think Jimmy Page is one of the greatest guitarists ever due to his creativity and out of the box thinking when it came to solos/composition, but...his tone on a lot of records had a love it or leave it kind of vibe. On some songs its pretty awful, screechy/scratchy without any omph or power, diluted, weak, harsh and just nasal. Its like the guitar equivalent of Billy Corgan's vocals sometimes. So I'm just thinking Tufnel's tone was based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The only spinal tap song I know is Majesty Of Rock...and its a goodun.

They have lots of classics, such as Sex Farm, Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, Lick My Love Pump, Stonehenge, Gimme Some Money, Christmas with the Devil, Listen to the Flower People....the list is endless.....

But, just for you....introduced by Bob Geldof no less....I'll never understand why they cut this from the Video....

Oh, and for the record, their drummer is Bob Geldof's drummer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Thats exactly.where I heard it first.

Advertisement