Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Kidizoom Camera - what are my rights?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can advise me on this.
    We purchased a VTech Kidizoom Digital Camera for our 5 year old daughter in December.
    Approximately a month ago - it stopped power on - replaced batteries only a week before so I knew it shouldn't be battery related.
    Changed batteries again - same result. Wouldn't power when plugging in USB connection either.

Anyways, yesterday I phoned Smyths Toys (where we purchased the item) and explained to them. The main problem is I no longer have the receipt.
    They were pretty short with me on the phone, and basically advised me to go to the VTech website and find a returns section and send it back to them.

Now, since then i have contacted VTech, and they have admitted it's a faulty device and that if i can't have it exchanged at the point of purchase, that i can send it back to them and they will replace the defective camera.

My question is - should Smyths not replace the defective model for me - when i show them the email that VTech have sent back to me - and showing them that the camera is indeed faulty?
    I know that it's a long shot - especially with not having a receipt, but we never buy toys anywhere else - and it was bought during the big christmas 'santa' shopping expedition.

Hope someone can put me right on this one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your contract is with the retailer, but proof of purchase is required. This doesn't have to be a receipt. Proof of a laser or credit card transaction will suffice also. Did you purchase with a credit or laser card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Cheers Dudara,

Yes, i purchased with a laser card - the camera was part of that purchase if you know what i mean. Bought a good few Santa things the same evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

sorry op, if you haven't got a valid POP, smyths aren't obliged to do anything. Did you pay by cash or card? CC statement would suffice as POP.

Tbh if vtech are going to replace as easily as that without a POP (I find this unusual by the way), this could possibly be the simplest and most stress free option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Then you're sorted. Dig out the bank statement that shows the transaction and bring it along to Smyth's with the camera.

They should be able to find the transaction on their payment systems using the laser reference number. From there, they can dig out the till transaction showing the product. (But you don't need to worry about that).

Hopefully, they will resolve the issue there and then. But bring the email from VTech as backup.

dudara wrote: »
    Then you're sorted. Dig out the bank statement that shows the transaction and bring it along to Smyth's with the camera.

They should be able to find the transaction on their payment systems using the laser reference number. From there, they can dig out the till transaction showing the product. (But you don't need to worry about that).

Hopefully, they will resolve the issue there and then. But bring the email from VTech as backup.

Legend... cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Yup it's no problem to bring in a copy of bank statement showing you purchased some items in Smyths Toys as they need the date, time and amount spent to track down your receipt.

Possible reason Smyths aren't dealing with you directly is the length of time (they tend to operate a 7 day grace period of no quibble returns after Christmas, depending on item condition of course!), if it's the not the twist version of the kidizoom then you actually have the older model that Smyths no longer stock (IIRC), so you'll have to discuss the best resolution with management. There are other kidizoom options, they'll have to check the price you paid!

Yup it's no problem to bring in a copy of bank statement showing you purchased some items in Smyths Toys as they need the date, time and amount spent to track down your receipt.

Possible reason Smyths aren't dealing with you directly is the length of time (they tend to operate a 7 day grace period of no quibble returns after Christmas, depending on item condition of course!), if it's the not the twist version of the kidizoom then you actually have the older model that Smyths no longer stock (IIRC), so you'll have to discuss the best resolution with management. There are other kidizoom options, they'll have to check the price you paid!

Thanks.
    It is the Twist version of the Kidizoom - thing is it just stopped working a month ago - so it definitely was outside of any grace period.
    Anyways, i have my bank statement showing the transaction, have the camera, and have the email from VTech so will call to Smyths tomorrow evening and see how i get on.

Thanks to all of you who have give advice today - very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What is it with people that when items are clearly not working and this is the stated reason for wanting to return them for a repair or replacement which most people are happy with some people will always bring up the shops policy regarding change of mind returns?

The customer always has statutory rights no matter what any shop wants us to believe.

to answer your question OP You have the right to be treated fairly and reasonably by the shop and you are also entitled to a remedy whether that is a repair replacement or a refund but you will need proof of purchase for most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Perhaps that was poorly worded, the 7 day no quibble period I'm referring to is that it doesn't matter if you don't have a receipt. It's specifically directly after Christmas and when I mean "no quibble" it's to this aspect: A broken toy, no receipt (Santy brought it!) can I get another?

The customer has rights if they have POP, which the OP now does, he didn't originally (in Smyths eyes, he didn't mention the bank statement), Smyths don't have to accept every Kidizoom back faulty, but for a period of time they do, even the seven day thing was me generalising a bit, it could go on longer.

What I mentioned wasn't change of mind, as long as the toy is sealed Smyths exchange for credit.

Or perhaps you jumped the gun. Since I also answered the OPs question in the situation when he has a receipt (or POP).

Thanks everyone.
    Got the camera replaced in Smyths on Sunday. I brought my bank statement with me, but to be honest they hardly looked at it - just asked if I wanted a replacement, and told me where to find it.

Anyways, we now have a snap happy 5 year old again.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement