Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iPad at Apple Store Belfast Fri 16th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dades wrote: »
    Jeez, the box is different! *Nevermind* Wasn't entirely serious.

Also, Wasn't entirely serious.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Just back home in limerick joined the queue about 8:05 and was out there by 9 with brand new 16gb 3g(4g) happy iPad(dies) day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OK, has anybody unboxed and used yet?

Any differences in speed?

What about the screen? Noticeable difference?

Using it now very good , much slicker , screen is absolutely brilliant , noticeable difference def the weight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Screen is absolutely outstanding images are so sharp you can nearly taste/smell them. Speed-wise I don't feel much of a difference over the iPad2 although not put it fully through it's paces yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i rang 00448445616263 and they have reserved 2 for me until close of business tomorrow in Curry's Newry.... Might be of help to someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What about weight and charging time? I an not hearing good stories there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

How is it for reading ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just did a weight/feel comparison with the iPad 2, neither me nor my colleague can tell the difference between the 2/3.

Charging time I can't comment on yet but as I generally plug my iPad in overnight I probably wont notice anything.

iBookes/Kindle looks phenomenal, pin sharp text and images.

How is it for reading ?

Useless!

Despite some iOS devices being able to speak now with Siri, none of them can read!

• Advertisement

gzoladz wrote: »
    What about weight and charging time? I an not hearing good stories there.

The new iPad is 52grams heavier than iPad 2.
    How could you be hearing bad stories about that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Newry sold out of the 32GB Wifis version :(

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

Newry sold out of the 32GB Wifis version :(

might have them in Lisburn - I just reserved the 16GB Wifi one there about 15 mins ago

no need to phone

you can check online

http://www.currys.co.uk/

murpho999 wrote: »
    The new iPad is 52grams heavier than iPad 2.
    How could you be hearing bad stories about that?

I red some comments that users feel it is noticeable heavier, hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

RVN10 wrote: »
    Just back home in limerick joined the queue about 8:05 and was out there by 9 with brand new 16gb 3g(4g) happy iPad(dies) day :D
    How much is it ? Was thinking of just buying th ipad 2 for 400 euros !

I paid 499£ must say was well worth the drive , jus woke up from a power nap , it is definetly heavier , I use an iPad everyday , first thing I noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

What's the screen like RVN10? I'm reading great things about it on blogs etc.

I think it's unreal , crystal clear and the camera is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think it's unreal , crystal clear and the camera is excellent

Dude I'm insanely jealous! Tho I still love my ipad2 :)

I think it's worth the upgrade IMO , does def seem faster too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

I think it's worth the upgrade IMO , does def seem faster too
    Sold my iPad 1(or as it was formally known iPad) on eBay in December in anticipation of the iPad 3(now known as the "new" iPad!) it can't be any heavier than the original?

Anyway I'm waiting for the the launch down here so I can claim the vat back. Still a bit surprised that their is no pre-orders on the apple store yet although by reading stories their seems to be more than sufficient stock.

After thinking a lot about it...I would love to have retina, but I dont really care about the better camera.
    More ram, the improvement in the processor and the larger battery are to support the improved screen, hence no apparent improvement in performance.
    The cost...heavier and it takes longer to charge.
    Also, retina apps will have a very large size so a 16g is almost a no, and I believe 32g may be tight. This will also affect ipad 2.
    Apple seems to have dedicated all their resources to accomodate retina without compromising the user experience. I think I will not upgrade and consid it again next year when they will deffo upgrade the capacity.
    Having said this, I may fall in love with the screen and change my mind when I see it live next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I red some comments that users feel it is noticeable heavier, hence the question.
    Sure we know exactly how much it weighs in relation to the old one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JoeyJonson

I lay down at 7pm last night because I'd been up at 5.30 to get up to Belfast and I've just woken up now over 12 hours later!!

Have to say the screen is absolutely super. I have a htc flyer aswell and I'll find it difficult to watch movies or read books on it from now on after seeing the new iPad screen! I had the original iPad so I see a huge difference in performance but I doubt anyone would that has an ipad2. Im starting to think that I will be upgrading every two years on both iPhones and iPads from now on. I upgraded iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 and then upgraded to 4s, I think I should have waited for iPhone 5. I think at this stage they are like half updates every year. So iPhone 5 will be big upgrade, then I'll wait for 2 years. Same with iPad from now on for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

JoeyJonson wrote: »

I lay down at 7pm last night because I'd been up at 5.30 to get up to Belfast and I've just woken up now over 12 hours later!!

Have to say the screen is absolutely super. I have a htc flyer aswell and I'll find it difficult to watch movies or read books on it from now on after seeing the new iPad screen! I had the original iPad so I see a huge difference in performance but I doubt anyone would that has an ipad2. Im starting to think that I will be upgrading every two years on both iPhones and iPads from now on. I upgraded iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 and then upgraded to 4s, I think I should have waited for iPhone 5. I think at this stage they are like half updates every year. So iPhone 5 will be big upgrade, then I'll wait for 2 years. Same with iPad from now on for me!
    I agree re the upgrade cycle, I went from an iPhone 3G to a 4 and the jump was massive, I went from the 4 to the 4s just for extra storage. But the difference isn't all that much. I'm now going from iPad to the new iPad so I should notice a bigger difference than the lads going from the 2.

Looking forward to Friday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have an iPhone 4 and am happy not to have gone for the 4S.

I haven't owned an iPad but use a work iPad 1. I thought about buying an iPad 2 when they came out but when it appeared without a higher res screen like the iPhone 4 I said I'd wait another year as the display for me is everything.

Happy to have waited on both counts now - 2012 is going to be my Apple refresh year!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭target

Just been into the Apple store in Belfast. Plenty of new iPads in stock, all models, and no queues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

adox wrote: »
    Ignore.

Duly ignored

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I drove up to Currys Lisburn yesterday and picked one up - 32GB White. There was no problem at all. Chap told me they had sold about 50 of them by 3pm but still had some left. I reckon the launch day pre-ordering which apple did not make available in the UK last time is what made the difference as well as apple being better prepared as regards stock levels this time around. A lot of people got them delivered to their door yesterday. Anyways I am happy and the screen is ridiculously sharp. As regards opening apps etc. I done a side by side test with my iPad 2 and noticed no difference in speed. Webpages and settings pages etc. are far sharper with no blur on text as with iPad 2. I have noticed that viewing PDFs in Goodreader actually looks worse but I am presuming that is because the screen is sharper and it is showing up in more detail. Word of advice would be to do a restore to your new iPad from iTunes instead of iCloud otherwise you will be waiting an eternity for all your old apps to download.

Advertisement