Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Cough??

• 14-03-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I think i have an outbreak of kennel cough.
    I got a new dog from a dogs home, and within a few days began coughing. "hacking". this has died down over the last few days with just the occational cough, but now my 12 yr old has started coughing since late last night. she doesnt seem to be lethargic , just a bad cough.
    is this kennel cough? ive read a lot of people recommending leaving it run its course as it is a virus? is this true?
    would it help if i gave infant calpol?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Kennel cough in older dogs can develop into something more serious so i would def bring your dog to the vet.
    I wouldnt be giving any dog a human product as there are some drugs that shouldnt be given to dogs, esp ones that have paracetamol in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The dogs home should be informed immediately as it's likely that the dog picked it up there so that they can take appropriate action. Was it a pound or a rescue?

Leave it run its course but you can give the dog some manuka honey in their water or a couple of small spoons of childrens Benilyn a day (that's what my vet nurse recommended). Calpol contains paracetamol so I wouldn't be giving that to my dog without consulting a vet.

Keep an eye on the older girl that it doesn't turn into a chest infection or anything worse. Keep your dogs away from others to prevent it spreading. If you are bringing to the vet then leave the dog in the car as they won't want you bringing a coughing dog inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh as andreac said, i wouldnt leave it run its course in a 12 year old. Normally its a self limiting bacterial infection and subsides within 7-10 days. With older dogs it has the potential to develop into something more serious so id nip it in the bud with antibiotics asap. It could develop into pneumonia (worst case scenario) or affect the heart in older dogs with a weaker immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Toulouse wrote: »
    The dogs home should be informed immediately as it's likely that the dog picked it up there so that they can take appropriate action. Was it a pound or a rescue?

Leave it run its course but you can give the dog some manuka honey in their water or a couple of small spoons of childrens Benilyn a day (that's what my vet nurse recommended). Calpol contains paracetamol so I wouldn't be giving that to my dog without consulting a vet.

Keep an eye on the older girl that it doesn't turn into a chest infection or anything worse. Keep your dogs away from others to prevent it spreading. If you are bringing to the vet then leave the dog in the car as they won't want you bringing a coughing dog inside.
    thanks,
    I have just emailed them . It was from the CSPCA.
    I will give the benilyn a go for a day or 2 and if there is no improvement I will bring her to the vet. I assume it is infant benilyn for chesty coughs is what you were recommended?
    she has only been coughing the last 12-14hrs,
    just as the other fella has seemed to get over his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Kennel Cough is highly contagious so usually any dog in the vicinity of kennel cough is very likely to pick it up.

Have you any other dogs in the house? I def wouldnt leave it much more than a day with your older dog. Keep a close eye and if its any way looking a bit unwell take it to he vets.

• Advertisement

ive booked an appointment for this evening as she coughed up some phlegm.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Best thing to do, I'd be going to the vet too if there was any mucus.

Hope she feels better soon.

As the CSPCA is the pound for Cork City you might bang off a copy of your mail to the environment section of the council too.

she is on the mend now and should be better in about 3- 4 days.
    she had 2 injections of antibiotics, and has a course of tablets for the next few days and benilyn x3 daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SAMMIMAC

<MOD SNIP> - please read our charter, no discussion of rescues

Advertisement