Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Kitchens (Food Business Startup)

Options
  • 14-03-2012 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hello,

I am planning to set up a small scale artisan Food Business, and I am looking for a suitable commercial kitchen (Dublin or surrounds) in which to produce - would appreciate comments that point me in the right direction (e.g. enterprise center/sublet from cafe etc...). Pls feel free to pm also with any other info you think could help me out as I am a bit green!

I could also produce from home, but believe it may be problematic from Health & Safety point of view. Any advise on this would also be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 devilshalo

copperlobo wrote: »
    Hello,

I am planning to set up a small scale artisan Food Business, and I am looking for a suitable commercial kitchen (Dublin or surrounds) in which to produce - would appreciate comments that point me in the right direction (e.g. enterprise center/sublet from cafe etc...). Pls feel free to pm also with any other info you think could help me out as I am a bit green!

I could also produce from home, but believe it may be problematic from Health & Safety point of view. Any advise on this would also be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Robert

Not sure how green you are but I would contact the FSAI http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business.html, Bord Bia etc.

They should be able to give you some support at least and it's good to get to know all the regulations etc. at the beginning and show an interest in engaging with the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 copperlobo

hey,
    thanks for that link - very interesting. fyi: I'm very green so any and all comments are welcome even if they appear obvious.

If anyone knows about the rules and regulations for domestic production, I would be really interested to hear about that. I have a standard domestic kitchen at home, and am wondering to try to produce small quantities (I want produce cakes) initially as a trial - question is, do I have any hope of obtaining approval from HSE local officer in such a scenario? If anyone has experience or knows anything about this at all, I would be very interested to learn more.

many thanks,
    Robert

devilshalo wrote: »
    Not sure how green you are but I would contact the FSAI http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business.html, Bord Bia etc.

They should be able to give you some support at least and it's good to get to know all the regulations etc. at the beginning and show an interest in engaging with the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You can produce cakes from home without too much consequence as it is a low risk foodstuff. Contact your local Environmental Health Officer, they will do an inspection and suggest any changes or guidelines that need to be put in place, or if it's unsuitable then you can look elsewhere but cakes can be produced from a home kitchen. I have a HSE registered domestic kitchen where I produce cakes so have been through the process.

Advertisement