Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple, dell or HP?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting my other half a decent desktop. We will all use it, school work, home stuff and my fella is a software engineer, he does the following at work (flash/flex/java, my sql, secret server, cognos/ cold fusion + others). Kids also like movie editor and gaming, I take lots and lots of photos.

What would be the best desktop to buy? he loves the Imac (kids have never used apple) he doesn't use an Imac at work. \We have an ipad and ipods.

I can save up to 2k but will need a monitor included in this aswell.

Ive been on dell to build a dell but i dont know what i should be putting into it, I cant ask my other half as he doesn't know of my intentions.
    We have a dell thats around 5 years old. we have speakers, keyboard, mouse and webcam.

Need help on optical drive, hard drive, graphics card and memory, sound card and wireless option.... Would it be better to get 2 X 500gb hard drives than one tb hard drive?

would i just be better off buying the apple for 1,600 of the apple website?

http://store.apple.com/ie/configure/MC813B/A?

or this for 1307.50 can add another 700 to it if needs be!

[URL="javascript:OpenPostedDetailsPop('print_summary_details_popup.aspx?~lt=print&c=ie&cid=pd_iedhsxps8300d00x8337&cs=iedhs1&fb=1&l=en&model_id=xps-8300&oc=d00x8337&s=dhs&vw=icon&leadtime=3/30/2012&showleadtime=False','650','420')"]Print Summary[/URL]primary.gif[URL="javascript:wishlist_add(_Action);"]Add to Wishlist[/URL][URL="javascript:cart_add(_Action);"]img.aspx?p=P1T%2fEcQAtOv%2b39wbTnDsQFteIHKs23YXA8GVBV0p7EYPGE4kpsc%2bHCiN3lQJJOVbRgc%2fEa3RfTEsk44YSyPwGGZVOzGkxWA%2bI5DFTWsx80hXTj9w5os%3d[/URL]

alert-tiny.gifalert-close.jpgCompatibility Instructions

xps-8300-right-black-120.jpg
    ok1_sign_small.gif
    img.aspx?p=Nt%2bzPeMAmMfS8%2fA3YlzAbHdyDF6A91o7L%2b25LmAE2DI8RHQqrNwgXDSAzAglL%2flCU1djJce5BAgUo%2fxnJyzNfX9CVASRu1caAqHtd3YV1mojNABEx7kDFRmj%2fHdjE8J7M2FUFYLxA0FPrfY2YV6MeHdyRRTYu0NMXe25MmAVy2dqKxNO17tXEQy9%2fjNrQY4%2fPDZSE4n2BUFP4qhsMkubPS8gE1zKpw%3d%3d

Congratulations! Your system is ready to be built.
    We have some recommendations for you highlighted in green below.
    Please check each item - and use the edit button to make any changes

components_on.gifIncluded in your system:PROCESSORIntel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 1, _Action);"]edit[/URL]OPERATING SYSTEMEnglish Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 11, _Action);"]edit[/URL]SYSTEM RECOVERYOS Media MUI Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) Resource DVD[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 200013, _Action);"]edit[/URL]SERVICES AND SUPPORT1Yr Collect & Returns Warranty – No upgrade selected[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 30, _Action);"]edit[/URL]ok1_sign_small.gifDell RecommendsCaution! You have not selected a Warranty Upgrade. Get better protection for your PC.</B>
    Upgrade to 1Yr Next Day Hardware Support.

umbrella_on.gif[URL="javascript:upsell_sc('m_30', '402029');"]secondary.gif[/URL][URL="javascript:upsell_sc('m_30', '402029');"]Upgrade to 1Yr Next Day Hardware Support [add € 110.00 or €6/month-1][/URL]DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUPDataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licence[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 467, _Action);"]edit[/URL]OFFICE SOFTWAREEnglish Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010 ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint, One Note)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 1002, _Action);"]edit[/URL]PROTECT YOUR NEW PCMcAfee® Security Center 30-Days trial version[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 1014, _Action);"]edit[/URL]OPTICAL DRIVEDVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn software[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 16, _Action);"]edit[/URL]MEMORY4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x2048] Memory[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 3, _Action);"]edit[/URL]HARD DRIVE1TB Serial ATA (7,200 rpm)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 8, _Action);"]edit[/URL]GRAPHICS CARDNVIDIA® GeForce GT 530 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 6, _Action);"]edit[/URL]BLUETOOTHDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module - European[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 59, _Action);"]edit[/URL]WIRELESS SOLUTIONDell Wireless 1520 Half Mini Card (802.11n)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 19, _Action);"]edit[/URL]SOUND SOFTWARESound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 17, _Action);"]edit[/URL]MONITOR23in ST2320L UK/Irish Full HD WLED Widescreen Monitor (VGA, DVI-D and HDMI)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 5, _Action);"]edit[/URL]MOUSELogitech Wireless Mouse M505[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 12, _Action);"]edit[/URL]KEYBOARDDell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(1, 4, _Action);"]edit[/URL]accessories_on.gifAccessoriesSPEAKERSNo Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)[URL="javascript:to_page_mod(2, 18, _Action);"]edit[/URL]services_off.gifAlso included with your systemACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTIONNo Accidental Damage SupportShipping DocumentsEnglish - Documentation with UK/Ire Power cordGedis Bundle ReferenceD02X8337Standard Warranty1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PCCall Dell ExpertsOne free Dell Expert call to help with your PC queries within 60 days of purchaseDataSafeDatasafe Local 2.3 BasicOrder InformationXPS Desktop 8300 Order - IrelandDELL SYSTEM MEDIA KITXPS 8300 Resource DVD

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

None of the above. You can get a custom build thats cheaper and better than anything Dell or Apple will do.

EDIT: For example this would completely blow away both the computers linked above.

Type|Name|Price
    CPU|Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€267.65
    CPU Cooler|Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.99
    Motherboard|ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€82.61
    RAM|8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    GPU|HIS HD 6870 Fan GDDR5 1024MB HDMI/DP/2xDVI|€146.41
    SSD|Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€143.84
    HDD|Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.00
    Case|BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower GERMANY Edition - black/red/gold, ohne Netzteil|€53.54
    PSU|Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.89
    DVD RW|LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.68
    Wifi|LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€17.03
    Monitor|BenQ G2420HDBL (9H.Y3VLN.IBE)|€148.00
    Windows|Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.65

Total build cost: €1,162.96 + €30 shipping

The graphics card there is good enough for gaming on medium-high settings, but if the kids are into a lot of newer games like BF3, you'd probably want to spend a bit more on it for the eyecandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

deconduo wrote: »
    The graphics card there is good enough for gaming on medium-high settings, but if the kids are into a lot of newer games like BF3, you'd probably want to spend a bit more on it for the eyecandy.
    Just to point out, that graphics card kills the one in the Dell you linked above.

At such a high budget any PC you buy off the shell will be way way more expensive than a built PC like the one Deconduo made up for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

None of the above. You can get a custom build thats cheaper and better than anything Dell or Apple will do.

EDIT: For example this would completely blow away both the computers linked above.

Type|Name|Price
    CPU|Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€267.65
    CPU Cooler|Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.99
    Motherboard|ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€82.61
    RAM|8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    GPU|HIS HD 6870 Fan GDDR5 1024MB HDMI/DP/2xDVI|€146.41
    SSD|Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€143.84
    HDD|Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.00
    Case|BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower GERMANY Edition - black/red/gold, ohne Netzteil|€53.54
    PSU|Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.89
    DVD RW|LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.68
    Wifi|LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€17.03
    Monitor|BenQ G2420HDBL (9H.Y3VLN.IBE)|€148.00
    Windows|Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.65

Total build cost: €1,162.96 + €30 shipping

This.

That pc will blow those machines you talking about OP. if you add another 200eu to that build, you could upgrade gpu to something like gtx580 or 7950, which will run any game in the market maxed out and will play any game for a really long time.

After that system get older, you won't have any trouble just swapimg old parts and upgrading your system. Where's any prebuilt pc is only good for that time and upgrading is very very limited.

So with self build you get:
    Almost twice cheaper build.
    Higher performance and better balanced machine
    Ability to upgrade any time you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You joking, right?

• Advertisement

i5-2400S, 4GB RAM, a GT430, no SSD, no monitor for €1000? You are taking the piss right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

i5-2400S, 4GB RAM, a GT430, no SSD, no monitor for €1000? You are taking the piss right :pac:

Comes with OSX Lion installed and a warranty at a much reduced cost.

He want's a Apple with OSX but the sheer cost of them is prohibitive.

She says gaming for the kids but they are using a five year old Dell so its safe to assume they don't want or need a hard-core gaming rig.

SSD size limitations can become a issue with Family pc's where data placement and control is fairly difficult.

Installing Windows, driver installs etc... while easy is not exactly something everybody wants to do.

Stop listing what you want and start responding to her needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

^
    *facepalm.

Comes with OSX Lion installed and a warranty at a much reduced cost.

He want's a Apple with OSX but the sheer cost of them is prohibitive.

He said that one kid wants an iMac, never mentioned OSX or cost being a problem.
    She says gaming for the kids but they are using a five year old Dell so its safe to assume they don't want or need a hard-core gaming rig.

Which is why I didn't link a gaming rig. The 6870 is a decent budget card that destroys anything on the Mac or Dell. However I said if they were hardcore gamers I'd spec something with a bit more power.
    SSD size limitations can become a issue with Family pc's where data placement and control is fairly difficult.
    Which is why I added a 1TB mechanical drive as well.
    Installing Windows, driver installs etc... while easy is not exactly something everybody wants to do.
    The site can assemble it and install everything for a small fee. If they are based in Dublin I'll do it for free.
    Stop listing what you want and start responding to her needs.

Lets see what was asked:
    We will all use it, school work, home stuff and my fella is a software engineer, he does the following at work (flash/flex/java, my sql, secret server, cognos/ cold fusion + others). Kids also like movie editor and gaming, I take lots and lots of photos.

The build I posted is much much better suited than the PearPC. An i5-2400S + 4GB of RAM will struggle with coding and Photoshop work, the i7-2600k + 8GB will do a much much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I'm not sure what I want, that's why I asked here. I need to meet my husbands needs aswell as my own and the kids. The kids are 12, nearly 7 and 5. The boys are the gamers and are not into anything hard core yet, but they will be. They love the Xbox, so you can guarantee that they will be gaming on the pc sooner or later. I want to get it in the next couple of months, a pc made to last at least 5 years.

The pc won't just be for gaming, video and.photo editing, husbands work and internet.

I'm going to show this thread to my brother in the UK, he has built a few pcs might get him to do it for me and give him the cash. Thanks for the input.

Just read they are in Dublin and assemble it, that's good, but will get my brother to talk me through the specs.

Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Deconduo's rig is almost identical to something I'd recommend, but maybe a suggestion, drop down to an i5 2500K and up the monitor to a DELL u2412.

OP, if you're in Limerick ill build it for you for the low low price of a cup of tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    OP, if you're in Limerick ill build it for you for the low low price of a cup of tea :)

Hence the name? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Deconduo's rig is almost identical to something I'd recommend, but maybe a suggestion, drop down to an i5 2500K and up the monitor to a DELL u2412.

Will keep that in mind cheers (in co clare) but i want to research everything first, (also get my brothers input) when im happy and fully aware of what is going into it and what it does then i may be in contact.

It may take a few cups of tea, 2 an hour:), but dont spill any:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Eboggles wrote: »
    Hence the name? :D
    no :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kamensokoi

Sorry to jump in but I need similar assistance.
    I need to be able to run Lightroom and photoshop cs5 at the same time as internet and other smallish softwares.

My current pc is an AMD Athlon x6 64 (whatever that means :) with 6Gb RAM.
    Too often now, I can work cos the RAM is too small according to CS5, it's driving me nuts:eek:

Help! Please

K

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Just to say on the BenQ monitor in deconduo's build that I have the same one and it's excellent. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Dell but you won't be disappointed withe the BenQ anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

The BenQ monitor is great for the price, but if you want to do photo editing and can afford it, a dell IPS panel will make you much happier! I regret not getting one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

kamensokoi wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in but I need similar assistance.
    I need to be able to run Lightroom and photoshop cs5 at the same time as internet and other smallish softwares.

My current pc is an AMD Athlon x6 64 (whatever that means :) with 6Gb RAM.
    Too often now, I can work cos the RAM is too small according to CS5, it's driving me nuts:eek:

Help! Please

K

What version of windows have you got? - Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Right-click on (my) computer -> Properties to check.

Also have a look at the Process Manager.
    (Ctrl + Shift + Escape) -> Processes. See if there's anything eating up your RAM. Browsers can waste it if you leave them open for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭briany

With a possible budget of 2,000 or so, you could have two really nice systems built, one for work and one for pleasure with enough left over to get a couple of monitors and the essential peripherals. Just a thought since I know from experience that four people to one computer can lead to some wrangling.

Advertisement