Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Sash Cat Door - anyone seen anything like this?

• 14-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi there -

I hope someone can help.

My friend would love a cat flap for her two furry cat friends to come and go as they please. However, she lives in a rented flat (landlord is fine with the two cats), so can't alter the door.

However, we found this on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Window-Sash-Pet-Dog-Cat-Door-ELECTRONIC-7-x-9-Flap-/300562597854

Described as:
    "Attractive window sash style pet door is easily installed in your window without tools."

Has anyone ever seen anything like this to buy in Ireland? Or does anyone have another solution for those with cats in a rental?

Thanks for reading.

q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I haven't seen one like that, we had our glazier build a catflap into a side panel on our back door, before they installed the double glazing, maybe your friend could get a glazier to put one into a pane of glass. I've found the microchip flaps to be stronger than the ordinary magnetic ones. The advantages of the microchip ones are that only her own cats would be able to get in, they are programmable so you can control when the cats go in and out and of course if her cats get lost the chip has the owners contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It should be fairly simple. Choose a downstairs window that opens & that the cat can access. Then make up a frame or cut a sheet of wood (or clear perspex) so that it fits the gap. So if the window opens outwards you put the sheet on the inside & then fit a cat door into the sheet. You will probably need to make ramps to allow the cat to approach the door from the outside.
    You can then remove the part of the window that opens & store it somewhere safe so that it can be refitted.

Post up a pic of the window so that we can advise the best method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Haven't seen them in Ireland, but they do deliver to Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

im in a similar situation as your friend...thinking of building a ramp and fashioning something like that for the window

check out this link...scroll to the very bottom to see

http://www.heathermichele.net/KittyHaven.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks for the replies - I'll post a pic of the window.
    lolo62 - that looks good, thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement