Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start Up Awards

Options
  • 14-03-2012 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Great to see these awards.
    Shame that they are charging 60 Euro for a company to enter especially given that it is for start-ups.
    With 9 companies listed as sponsors on their website you would think that the organisers are making enough on this already.
    As far as I know its the same people that arranged the Dublin Living Awards.
    They started out by charging for entry but then made it free to enter (probably because they realised that most people are not interested in buying a nomination)
    Will be interesting to see how it goes.
    More info at http://startupawards.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Slightly off-topic but am I the only one that finds a category "Women in Business Award" a bit sexist (and possibly condescending)?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Shame that they are charging 60 Euro for a company to enter especially given that it is for start-ups.
    With 9 companies listed as sponsors on their website you would think that the organisers are making enough on this already.
    They started out by charging for entry but then made it free to enter (probably because they realised that most people are not interested in buying a nomination)
    An individual from Ongar Village seems to be the person behind all this. The website is owned by a dissolved company ( Rubicon Resources Ltd ), and the contact name for the website owner ( the Ongar resident ) is / was a director of Rubicon Resources. I wonder if the sponsors know they are dealing with a struck-off company .......ooops.

Dublin Living Awards looks like it was organised by Alchemy Event Management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

JD Dublin wrote: »
    Dublin Living Awards looks like it was organised by Alchemy Event Management.

Check out telephone number at http://startupawards.ie/contact/ and run a google search.
    No issue from my point of view with someone running an event and making a living out of it. It is just one would have to question the creditability of awards when one has to pay for the honour of a nomination.
    I know this is only 60 Euro (Plus VAT) but to expect start-ups to pay for a nomination is a bit rich.

Women in Business award is condescending in my view. Maybe 20 years ago it had merit. I don't know the figures but I would imagine a large proportion of start-ups in Ireland over the past 5 years are started by women. Then again the Enterprise Boards are forever running women only events.
    Better stop or I will start to sound like that John Waters guy in Irish Times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Women in Business award is condescending in my view. Maybe 20 years ago it had merit. I don't know the figures but I would imagine a large proportion of start-ups in Ireland over the past 5 years are started by women. Then again the Enterprise Boards are forever running women only events.
    Better stop or I will start to sound like that John Waters guy in Irish Times!

I agree in principle but I think there is still the need to get the message through to more women that business is an option for them. It is still very much male dominated.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Totally agree with you about charging for nominations, there seems to be more and more of these types of arrangements (businesses?) setting up where they make money by running events charging anything from 60 - 260 per nomination. Then charging huge amounts to attend the event often 250+ per person.

On the flip side it's great to encourage any businesses as it can be a thankless job running a company and any media attention for them is good. And im sure by charging it means they don't have to spend much time sifting through nominations or people nominating themselves for all categories.

Saying all that I think by charging for nominations they loose credibility and the potential of getting the best in class. Certainly start-ups shouldnt waste their money in my opinion as the criteria for winning is often vague. I wouldnt be paying that money to nominate other companies that i thought were best in class, nor would i pay to have one of mine considered. I did once with another organisation, paying €260 and didnt hear from them till the next year when they made a sales call trying to get me to pay for consideration again.

As for the Women in business category - I think it's good to encourage it since they are under-represented. It would only be considered a sexist outrage if it was their was a category for Men in business, but really does anyone care that much? Somehow a best man in business category seems a bit cringe worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Considering I work in an industry that's female orientated it gets to me... Childcare being the industry, my wife runs a Montessori and there are countless free seminars and courses that she can go on. I run a sideline business in childcare and I get feck all support... Best man in Childcare, thats what we need... I'm off to make a placard!

Other than that, if you want to enter and get money off use "sagesu" as a discount code to get €20 off... Still, I find it odd paying to enter for an award...

Still, I find it odd paying to enter for an award...[/QUOTE] It may be odd but the organisers like it, coz that's how they make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Seems vaguely ridiculous. I checked that site out actually, and clicked off it as soon as I saw the price to enter! Not sure what the world is coming to when you actually nominate yourself for an award, and then pay for the privilege of doing so. Isn't that against the entire spirit of receiving an award?

Someone is looking to make a killing on fake awards in the space of one night methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Seems vaguely ridiculous. I checked that site out actually, and clicked off it as soon as I saw the price to enter! Not sure what the world is coming to when you actually nominate yourself for an award, and then pay for the privilege of doing so. Isn't that against the entire spirit of receiving an award?

Someone is looking to make a killing on fake awards in the space of one night methinks!

Ok lets be a complete cynic;)
    There is a prize fund for the winner (but not money of course)
    Free Vodafone calls, free advertising on Newstalk (at the rate card price value which nobody pays), free legal consultancy etc etc.
    So the sponsors are probably paying little or nothing to have their names associated with this either.
    Organisers are using the sponsors names to give the awards some stature. Sponsors are making themselves look like good caring companies helping start-ups without paying anything towards it and probably getting some follow on business from the winners as well (tied into phone contracts with Vodafone etc)
    Winners to be decided by the amount of tickets that you buy for the awards cermony;)
    Who fits the bill for everything? The cash starved start-ups.
    Surely a man will win the women in business award! Is there really a woman out there silly enough to enter these awards:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Ok lets be a complete cynic;)
    There is a prize fund for the winner (but not money of course)
    Free Vodafone calls, free advertising on Newstalk (at the rate card price value which nobody pays), free legal consultancy etc etc.
    So the sponsors are probably paying little or nothing to have their names associated with this either.
    Organisers are using the sponsors names to give the awards some stature. Sponsors are making themselves look like good caring companies helping start-ups without paying anything towards it and probably getting some follow on business from the winners as well (tied into phone contracts with Vodafone etc)
    Winners to be decided by the amount of tickets that you buy for the awards cermony;)
    Who fits the bill for everything? The cash starved start-ups.
    Surely a man will win the women in business award! Is there really a woman out there silly enough to enter these awards:pac:

Ah no well my post was somewhat tongue in cheek, although that doesn't come across in text :)

It's great to see awards and it's brilliant to see the support. Maybe if they just reduced the price a little :)

Advertisement