Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speakers on a budget

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

lads I was gonna post in the HE audio forum, but that place gets less hits than REM at the moment.

I've a set of logitech x-530's plugged into my HTPC, and I'm honestly not sold on 5.1

just too much cables and speakers for the few times I actually watch a movie in surround.

so, on a tight budget (let's say ~€100), what's the best option for a 2 or 2.1 channel speakers I can go for?

don't mind second hand, buying off HWVS or scan cause I'm getting stuff from both places anyway. any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Check some sort of 2.1 Logitech solution? Logitech is really damn good when it comes to speakers for qualit/price ratio.

What was the exact problem of 5.1 cables? When you have pcs cables come in with territory ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I picked up some creative T40's two days ago and they're class. They are only 2.0 but their bass is still strong considering that. They come in around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

I see over at Bargain Alerts they say logitech are doing 35% off which can be used in conjunction with a 20% code for registering a purchase.
    I was looking at Logitech Speaker System Z623 which are €169 so that would work out at €92.95 after discount.
    logitech-speaker-system-z623.png
    Also the Speaker System Z520 look good if you arent bothered with a sub. They are €79.99 before discount so €43.99 after the codes. Both are free delivery i think.
    15214.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Check some sort of 2.1 Logitech solution? Logitech is really damn good when it comes to speakers for qualit/price ratio.

What was the exact problem of 5.1 cables? When you have pcs cables come in with territory ;)
    literally miles of cables everywhere :o

well figuratively, but its annoying, theyre like black holes that suck in all cables near them into a quantum entanglement.

tdh wrote: »
    I see over at Bargain Alerts they say logitech are doing 35% off which can be used in conjunction with a 20% code for registering a purchase.
    I was looking at Logitech Speaker System Z623 which are €169 so that would work out at €92.95 after discount.
    logitech-speaker-system-z623.png
    Also the Speaker System Z520 look good if you arent bothered with a sub. They are €79.99 before discount so €43.99 after the codes. Both are free delivery i think.
    15214.png
    those z623's look pretty good for the money. what's this extra 20% off thing? how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    those z623's look pretty good for the money. what's this extra 20% off thing? how does it work?

If you register a product with logitech then they will send you out a 20% off next purchase voucher. I just checked to confirm that and someone else says if you register with their site you will get it regardless of registering a product. I have loads of new logitech stuff here anyways if you need a serial number.

tdh wrote: »
    If you register a product with logitech then they will send you out a 20% off next purchase voucher. I just checked to confirm that and someone else says if you register with their site you will get it regardless of registering a product. I have loads of new logitech stuff here anyways if you need a serial number.
    a wealth of info from you sir. hope you stick around :)

If its not a problem/hassle, I'd love a serial to register with. all my logitech stuff would be too old I imagine?

I've to weigh up my budgets before putting cash down anyway, I'm a rather poor suddent with a dangerous obsession of new Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Screw speakers, sink the €100 into a sound card that will upmix 2.0 sources to 5.1 and you're sorted. Any of the X-Fi cards with CMSS-3D will do that for you.

yea I was thinking that, but then I would be sending that beautiful sound through a set of 2watt ancient DELL speakers... :P

im gonna leave the x530's on the server.

Why does a server need 5.1 speakers? Why does a server need sound?

• Advertisement

its a server that doubles as a HTPC :P
    everything is downloaded to it and streamed to 4 xbox's around the house normally.

If you're using onboard sound, then no wonder you're not sold on 5.1. You need a card that will upmix stuff to 5.1 to actually get some benefit. You'll get a lot of audiophiles saying that the upmixers ruin sound quality, etc. They don't. There is a bit of a difference if you have weird speaker placements or a room with really bad acoustics or something, but usually it sounds great.

What the X-Fi cards do with CMSS-3D isn't what you might think. They don't just copy the sound on each channel and dump it into the rear speakers, they try and figure out what frequencies - meaning what instruments, vocals, etc. basically - should be playing where, and move them around. So for an orchestral piece, I get drums all around, trumpets/horns to the rear, vocals to the centre channel, and piano and the like to the front.

If you've never heard sound from a good sound card, find someone with one, and give it a listen.

This is thread of the day...

Were famous!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

im interested. what amp are you using/will i need?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I don't have one either :P

I have some self-powered studio monitors (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX5aDeluxe.html) so haven't bothered with an amp / receiver thingy yet... not something I know much about unfortunately.

Looking around on adverts.

EDIT: $120 for shipping?? o_O I give up. Try to find M-Audio StudioPhile AV 40s somewhere closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Creative-GigaWorks-T20-Series-II.jpg

I used the Creative t-20 speakers with my computer, they were that impressive that my dad (who is a hi-fi nut, Electrostatic speakers and hand made valve amps) had to get 2 for himself for low end bass work.

They are most defiantly worth having a listen too.

aaaarg im sitting on the Logitech site now, wondering if i want speakers more or a G19 keyboard.

my current speakers arent bad, they're small Dell branded yokes, but their OEM is actually Altec Lansing. i usually game with headphones anyway....aaaarg.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remember, a lot depends on where you're putting them. I have only a pair of 20W(RMS) Sonys in my room(and the main out for my PC), just stereo, nothing fancy, but they do really well as they're mounted in my shelving unit. What would normally be crap->ok bass becomes very true(as compared to studio monitors) and smooth. Also means not really having to push them when I wont volume so clipping isnt a problem. Pics in the "Desk" thread if you want.

Just remember to buy for the room. Oh and if you wanna really get something nice get KRK Rokits, though cheap is not how they would be described.

Advertisement