Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information about visitors in a studio apartment

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I'm actually in Dublin in an apartment that I have rented looking from daft.ie.
    It is a studio apartment. The rent is 590€ a month, for three months.

Next week my girlfriend is coming for a couple of days (22-26, 4 nights) and I was thinking of making her stay in my apartment. I informed the landlord of that.

They said to me that she can stay but that I have to pay an additional 100€ in advance.

Can they do something like that? It is true that it is a studio apartment (so I suppose it should be used by only one person) but I'm not allowed to have a visitor for a couple of days?

My contract refers to the "The Residential Tenancies Act 2004" and there is nothing written about visitors...

Anyone have a clue about this?? I have to pay an additional 100€? Sounds too strange!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

That is ridiculous. You are of course allowed to have visitors and 4 nights can in no way be seen as having another person living there. Might be different if she stayed for a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 the_dark

I totally agree! What I can do for enforce this right? There is something written somewhere related to this kind of situation?

Haven't found anything in the The Residential Tenancies Act 2004. :(

I really do not want to fight with them since they still have my deposit, (another 590€) and I don't want to lose any € from that.

Thanks in advance (and by the way I'm super-pissed by this situation!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Why the fup did you say anything to the landlord in the first place?

It was a non event and now you've made it into one.

You are precisely right! Because I'm stupid, dumb, honest person.

I not liked the idea of having her coming in without saying anything to the landlord... It was a form of correctness... dumb me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tell your landlord where to go with himself. Its absolutely none of his business who stays in your apartment; what on earth did you tell him for in the first place?

• Advertisement

the_dark wrote: »
    You are precisely right! Because I'm stupid, dumb, honest person.

I not liked the idea of having her coming in without saying anything to the landlord... It was a form of correctness... dumb me!!

Do you live with the landlord; as in is the studio apartment a converted attic on their house or something?

Either way its none of their business, but especially not if you dont live attached to their house.

The apartment is attachet to their home. For coming in I need to enter from their main entrance.

So they will notice that I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

just tell him how it is: you wanted to make sure he knows you have a visitor there for 4 days. you just tried to be fair and didn't wanted to cause any misunderstandings.
    but let him know now as well there's no way you're paying money for a 4-day visitor. even if she's there every weekend or so, she'll be still a visitor.

I've never seen a regulation anywhere about visitors in rented accommoddation. I would say common sense is applicable, if she didn't move all of her stuff in and isn't there every day it's ok.

op, you'll learn from this 'mistake', we all do stupid stuff sometimes. and remember: you're a great person for being that honest and fair, the LL is the d!ck.:)

What kind of lease have you got? Are you renting the studio as a seperate accomodation completely, or is it considered to be renting a room in their house?

I went out with a girl before who was renting a room in someones house, and he wanted something like €50 everytime I stayed over. Needless to say he didnt get it and she she didnt stay there very long...

tara73 wrote: »
    just tell him how it is: you wanted to make sure he knows you have a visitor there for 4 days. you just tried to be fair and didn't wanted to cause any misunderstandings.
    but let him know now as well there's no way you're paying money for a 4-day visitor. even if she's there every weekend or so, she'll be still a visitor.

I've never seen a regulation anywhere about visitors in rented accommoddation. I would say common sense is applicable, if she didn't move all of her stuff in and isn't there every day it's ok.

op, you'll learn from this 'mistake', we all do stupid stuff sometimes. and remember: you're a great person for being that honest and fair, the LL is the d!ck.:)

Yeah I really think that I'm going towards this direction. There is nothing written in the contract so... I really hope to make her understand. In the worst case I think I will pay for avoiding any kind of further complicances for the future (in particular for the deposit) :(
    However yes, they are behaving really bad..
    What kind of lease have you got? Are you renting the studio as a seperate accomodation completely, or is it considered to be renting a room in their house?

They advertised it as a studio apartment, and it is. Quite small but with a kitchen bathroom and all the furniture. Event in the lease contract is always referred as an apartment. No explicit norm about visitors.

In the end I really think that I will try to settle this talking, trying to be firm. Hoping they will start to reason with a proper brain sooner or later.

• Advertisement

YIn the worst case I think I will pay for avoiding any kind of further complicances for the future (in particular for the deposit) :(

Why would you pay her for this? Discuss the matter with her but do not give in; she has no right to dictate who can and cannot stay in your apartment, and she absolutely has no right to charge you extra for the privilage of having guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree with everyone else. The apt is your home. If there is no clause in your lease setting out the terms and conditions of your having visitors stay over, then you get to decide (within reason) who gets to stay there, not the landlord. She can only keep your deposit to compensate her for unpaid rent, or to cover cleaning and decorating expenses over and above normal wear and tear. Inform her that you know your rights on this matter, and that if she keeps some or all of your deposit due to your having guests, you will file a claim against her with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi, I'm actually in Dublin in an apartment that I have rented looking from daft.ie.
    It is a studio apartment. The rent is 590€ a month, for three months.
    Off-topic, but regarding the studio apartment where the only access is through the landlords house; maybe look into getting a studio apartment with your own door when your lease is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Did you sign a Fixed Term lease for three months?

I fear that the landlord may be trying this rental as a "rent a room" scheme (as it is in his home) which from your description it does not appear to be (although you both have the same main entrance. Ask him if he has registered the tenancy with the PRTB. The rent a room scheme of rental is not registered with the PRTB, as it is a licensee agreement.

This may wake him up to his responsibilities and obligations.

IMHO, a visitor for 4 nights in 3 months should not be a problem.

Advertisement