Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips to reduce lag?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi all.

I do a lot of club/league racing on Forza 4 but ever since release I had connection problems. After sorting out those a few weeks ago (needed to get a router + static IP) my NAT is fully open and I can connect to my fellow club members' races now.

However, there's a slight problem, LAG! :(

The majority of the time, when I'm racing things look fine. Cars are planted on the track and are located where they should be. Occasionally though a few will start floating, jumping around etc. Here's a video of me (the TT) overtaking somebody from their replay/viewpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqrm8_cx9Q&feature=youtu.be

Here's some pics of a different race from my replay:

6946111137_c68ccbc0e8_z.jpg

6800019814_f6096df681_z.jpg

6800019704_bf783cf745_z.jpg

So yeah, cars are hopping around when I'm racing, and I don't want that to be a problem for my fellow racers, causing them to crash because of my connection.

Here's a Speed/Ping test of my connection, using the nearest server:

1833228097.png58909787.png

I'm based in Limerick, and most of the club is located in the UK, near Milton Keynes. Here's test results of that:

1833231888.png58909872.png

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do on my end to help reduce the lag between myself and the other drivers, or if I'm stuck with what I've got?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Wireless or wired?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Wired. DSL, not cable.
    Buy a good router & modem.
    Ensure you're the only one using the connection at the time.
    Try a different isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Meesared wrote: »
    Wireless or wired?
    Wired.
    1. Wired. DSL, not cable.
    2. Buy a good router & modem.
    3. Ensure you're the only one using the connection at the time.
    4. Try a different isp.
    1. I've got Wired, it's my only option.
    2. My Router's a TP-Link WR740N. It seems okay other than this lag issue.
    3. Done.
    4. Not an option unfortunately.

I did some messing about last night with my settings:
    • Assigned a static IP to the Xbox.
    • Put the Xbox IP into the DMZ
    • Opened all relevant ports on that IP and enabled UPnP (had all that done already).

Results were positive. I had a few 16 player races last night and with the exception of one car (which was lagging for everybody, not my problem) everything seemed normal.

Advertisement