Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband - must sign up for 12 month line rental first?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm in the West Limerick area less than 1 mile outside Abbeyfeale town. I rang eircom today and the rep said she was unsure if broadband was available at my location and that only 4 out of the 8 lines were working?

The rep then indicated that I would need to install the phone line to see if broadband was available and that if it wasn't I would be locked into a 12 month line rental contract? Is this correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may sign up for 6 months under the special promotion for new line installs. You are taking your chances on Broadband though. If they do deliver broadband it will be a 12 month contract extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

How much would line rental for 6 months be??? On top of basic broadband!

In a very similar situation!

Thanks

If they give you broadband you convert at that time from a 6 month contract to a 12 month contract. A NEW line alone, with NO DISCOUNTS other than the basic install, will cost you 6 x €26 a month rental and you can get rid of it then.

Normally a line install costs €127 or so but it is free under the eircom Residential PSTN Connection Promotion shown in the link below.

Be careful to tell the salesperson you want no discounts, packages or bundles and only want a STANDARD LINE INSTALLATION.

Save a copy of this PDF in case there is a row later.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

Condition 2 obliges you to keep the line for 6 months only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cmcit

Thanks for the feedback.

It's still a risk considering the only reason I want to get the phone line is so I can get broadband, I would have no problem paying for the connection if I was guaranteed broadband, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark signing up to a 6 month contract and then hoping for the best.

cmcit wrote: »
    It's still a risk considering the only reason I want to get the phone line is so I can get broadband, I would have no problem paying for the connection if I was guaranteed broadband, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark signing up to a 6 month contract and then hoping for the best.

Chicken and egg, they cannot test a line that is not there yet. The engineer will normally site visit and tell you whether you will get a split line (carrier line) or an unsplit line if you ask them...if you are not there they leave a card or note.

If the line is split you can cancel at no cost because the order is incomplete until they install the master socket in your premises and you won't let them will you. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Sponge Bob

There was a fixed line connection in the house previously but that was 5/6 years ago, would that make any difference?

It would if you tried to reactivate the line, that was why I recommended a NEW LINE or "standard connection" in eircom speak. An engineer has to check through for pairs on a new line.

Make sure you ring the order in to 1901 as well...the website does not sell the 6 month connection offers and loas ona €5 discount to lock you in for 12 months. 1901 will have a recording of your order where you clearly say you want a new line only, no bundle or discounts. If it does not pass for DSL within 2 months it never will. Then you can add the bundle to it and extend the contract by 12 months by so doing.

Generally the engineer will make sure it will pass.

Great thanks for all your help Sponge Bob

No probs, best of luck. The engineers are usually very sound and will do all they can for you ....but the only way to guarantee an engineer comes out is to order a new line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

cmcit wrote: »
    I'm in the West Limerick area less than 1 mile outside Abbeyfeale town. I rang eircom today and the rep said she was unsure if broadband was available at my location and that only 4 out of the 8 lines were working?

The rep then indicated that I would need to install the phone line to see if broadband was available and that if it wasn't I would be locked into a 12 month line rental contract? Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi cmcit,

Yes with any new full instalation there can never be any guarantees regarding broadband availability or speed until the line is connected and then tested from the exchange for broadband.

There is a 12 month contract when connecting a line which is applicable regardless of the broadband availability I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

The special offer is perfectly clear Mark, it is a 6 month contract....perhaps not available online but most certainly available if you ring 1901.

If not available online then Comreg should be asked to clarify the matter...I know which version they would uphold!

Advertisement