Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new htpc build with digital audio output

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey,
    I want a new htpc for the living room. Currently using a shuttle xs35gt which is excellent but there is no digital out for my speakers. Rather than spend €70+ on a splitter, external sound card I would like to buy a new htpc with a digital audio out and use the shuttle in another room (without surround sound).
    I actually made an order off hardewareversand last week but got an email saying the case is unavailable so I might make a new build. I think I got carried away ordering over the top, expensive parts last time so I thought I'd post here to get opinion of people who know alot more than me :D

1. What is your budget? pref less than €500 but will pay more for quality parts.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? HTPC only, but want to handle 1080p easily (although almost everything is 720p i have)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no using ubuntu/xbmc live/openelec

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? got a 250gb 3.5", although leaning towards a ssd for the os (no storage on pc required)

5. Do you need a monitor? no connected to tv with hdmi

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1920x1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no

8. How can you pay? any

9. When are you purchasing? this week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? dublin

original build (gonna cancel i think)
    Item|Price
    Total build cost: €453.86 + €30 shipping
    Silverstone SST-ML03B Milo Desktop - black|€54.28
    Seasonic S12II-380 Bronze, 380 Watt|€51.65
    Intel Core i3-2105 Box, LGA1155|€115.77
    Corsair ForceGT 60GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") SATA III|€86.52
    2 x be quiet! Case Fan SilentWings PWM 80mm BQT T8025-LF-PWM|€11.34
    ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT, Sockel 1155, ITX|€97.28
    4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL8|€25.68

I see the Intel Celeron G530 was recommended in another post, could this handle 1080p without a discreet graphics card.
    What is the difference between intel hd graphics and intel hd 3000 graphics?
    thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The G530 uses HD2000 graphics, the 2105 uses HD3000. AFAIK, there's about a 50% performance difference, but if the 2000 can handle 1080p, then it doesn't really matter much (not sure on this).

You've chucked a Z68 board in there which you don't need. It gives you Rapid Storage Tech for SSD caching, overclocking and SLI/CF support, none of which comes into play with this setup, so you could save €40 or so and get a H61 board.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50896&agid=1605

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Thanks for the help Serephucus.
    I googled the G530 for a htpc and it got alot of mixed reviews. Alot of people recommend an amd but since I will be using a unix based OS I think its safer I stick with an intel.
    Yeah I think i went overkill on the motherboard but I think that I can power on/off the htpc with my remote on that one. The remote and receiver alone was €25+ on amazon so I just thought it would be nice if needed.

Would there be much/any difference between the digital sound output on that motherboard and a card like this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Titanium/dp/B001E5PJ2Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331738792&sr=8-3

cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

why not get a €30 HD6450?

you can use it passively so no extra noise, and it kicks the hell out of HD3000.

im running a pentium G630 with a 6450 and i swear if it wasnt for the 5 HDD's in there, it could run on batteries.

Sweet jesus, yes*.

I don't see why you couldn't power your PC on and off with a remote using a H61 board either. Can you link to the remote you were thinking of?

*If you have the ear for it. A lot of people here are happy with onboard audio, and don't look any further. Personally, I can't stand it. If you have to ask, it might not be a worthy investment though. Best thing is to find someone with a good external sound card, and have a listen to a song you know really well, then have them plug their speakers into the onboard sound, and see if you can notice anything. If you want to be really sure, make it a blind test.

Thanks alot lads for input. Actually my speakers are good but certainly not good enough for a hd sound card.
    this is the remote that comes with the motherboard. Well I think I would of just wanted the receiver and program the commands it into my logitech.
    tea bag I think I am gonna go along with your suggestion of a dedicated graphics card and a lesser processor. I take it there would be no point in getting a hd graphics enabled cpu when you got a discreet graphics card?

ok so here is a build I was looking at today.
    The case has a build in psu of 180w, enough?
    Do you think the graphics card would fit in alright? it looks close enough to the psu. The dimensions of this pc would fit a table below the tv pretty good.
    The graphics card is nvidia and has good reports with linux etc.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €220.89 + €30 shipping
    Chieftec BT-02B, 180W SFX, Mini-ITX|€47.93
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€36.61
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€59.31
    ASUS ENGT430/1GD3/MG(LP), 1GB DDR3, PCI-Express|€55.34
    4GB Patriot AMD Entertainment Edition PC3-12800 1600MHz|€21.70

what do you think?
    cheers:)

• Advertisement

There's no point going with a dedicated graphics card if you're just going to be watching movies. I'd take the lower power 2105 any day.

Agreed. i definitely wouldnt get a GT430 anyway. i got my G630 for free, but if i was buying myself it would probably be the i3 2105 too.
    ive just got a policy about not using onboard graphics, but ive never used my HD3000 so cant say its not bad.

lovely that keeps things simpler for me too.
    Meant to ask earlier would I need an extra case fan or would it be okay as is?

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €244.71 + €30 shipping

cheers gents:D

tdh wrote: »
    lovely that keeps things simpler for me too.
    Meant to ask earlier would I need an extra case fan or would it be okay as is?

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €244.71 + €30 shipping

cheers gents:D
    no offence, but that case is hideous. :P

I dont like the case either but I cant find many nice ,smallish ones on hardwareversand. I was planning on having this out of the way where it wont be seen most of the time.

im open to suggestions :pac:

maybe this?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=42393&agid=1199&apop=0

• Advertisement
Advertisement