Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax question Australia.Confused!

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I was in Australia last year.I done my 3 months farm work and came home for awhile.I am planning to return for my 2nd year in the near future.

Whilst in Oz last time I worked on both tax file and abn.I considered myself a resident for tax purposes.I spent about 6 months in Brisbane, two in sydney and the rest doing my farm work basically.I got most of my tax back when I left.

I really never liked the idea of working on abn but found it difficult at times to find work without using it.I earned just over 10,000 on it.Stupidly,I took someone's word for it that the tax free threshold was $16,000, not $6000.I never filled out a tax return.

Overall, I earned just over 20,000(on abn and tfn).I have seen on the ato website that there is a low income tax offset of 1500 if you earn less than $35,000.Therefore,I am really unsure whether I owe money or not.If my calculations are correct,tax from just over 10,000 abn wouldn't even be 1,500.Do I owe money to the tax office?I'm really confused and would like to get this sorted before I go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can contact the tax office, they are actually quite helpful and not a big bad wolf people think. If you do owe money you can make an adjustment to the year, usually free of charge.
    But yes the low income offset would kick in, and 20k is more than likely too low to be taxed.

Advertisement