Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I wouldn't say it's very easy by any means to average civilian, anyone relatively fit would find it easy alright.

It's no where near comparable to just 20 push ups and sit ups , sorry.

It really is easy. Joe average could manage that handily enough. I had to take several months off running to finish college assignments and then for exams. My second day back to it, ran the 2.4km as a test and finished it nearly a minute within the time, and I reckon I could have gotten it under 10.40. It really is an easy run, and in the scheme of things, is of a comparable level of CV fitness to what 20 press-ups and sit-ups represents for muscular strength and endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

I agree the fitness test is very easy for someone who wants to join the army/navy.

I also agree that it should be graded like the annual IT test. Each candidate could score points for better fitness grades. They should also be told that maximum effort is required, not hoping to reach 20 pushups.

Don't forget, in training you will do a lot more than that. The more fitness you have now the easier you will find the recruit training.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

I want the army just as much as anyone on this, I hope to be ahead of all the people who are just joining "for the craic" but i know that the test wont be easy for me, but it doesn't mean i don't deserve it any less. I'm going to put in as much effort as anyone else..
    But don't make the assumption its easy, maybe for some. but not everyone..
    just my two cents really..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Done the test yesterday, the warm up is arguable the hardest part in the gym, :D then the push up and sit ups are VERY easy, then in my group of somewhere around 20-30 doing the jog 4 failed, but they ALL gave up and started walking even before the first lap, nearly everyone that pass done it in under 10mins, I done it in 9min 20.

It was hard though outside in the warm sun but only a short 10min run in the sun nothing fancy. It's laughable easy tbh, the test overall, but we all wrecked after the run due to the heat wave

The boys that gave up 4 mins into a jog were no doubt timewasters, or maybe got a stitch which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

This baffles me every year. People giving out about.. lets be honest a piss easy fitness test. If this test seemed daunting to people they have not put in the effort and don't have the drive or grá to deserve a position.

You don't turn up for an academic test without studying. Don't turn up to a fitness test without training. People can hardly claim ignorance as even people unfamiliar with military lifestyles know the phrase "drop and give me 20".

Its very achievable and in my opinion the DF should raise their standards. As its too easy. Why not only select the best who have already proven they have necessary qualities in that they have an interest in their health / fitness.

Also echoing the other posters, it should be graded and combined with psychometrics. Meaning that the fit and intellectually able people will stand out ahead of the just the intellectually able.

Considering the profile of the candidates going forward these days why the hell should the DF not just take the cream of the crop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Shocko1993

Did anybody else do the Career Services Psychometric Test preparation course? And if so what did you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Shocko1993 wrote: »
    Did anybody else do the Career Services Psychometric Test preparation course? And if so what did you think?

Money grabbing opportunism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

John_D80 wrote: »
    Outstanding. Fastest I ever heard of it being done was just over 7 mins, so that is an awesome time. Very well done.

Back in the day as an 18yo I did it in 8:30. And there was me thinking I was the dogs danglies.

I hope you have applied for the army as well. You'd be wasted in the navy bud ;)

thanks mate i have also applied to the army have my pt for that thurs still not 100% sure if i want to go the navy or army route. I want to do both :P

I want the army just as much as anyone on this, I hope to be ahead of all the people who are just joining "for the craic" but i know that the test wont be easy for me, but it doesn't mean i don't deserve it any less. I'm going to put in as much effort as anyone else..

thats the spirit i like to see people like you deserve this

Did you think it was useful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

A friend of mine did the course for the mature students nursing program and swears it was what got her such a high mark. Two guys I know who did the one for the DF psychometric test also swore by it and told me they feel very confident about the upcoming tests.

Career Services have been running these type of courses for a long time and I have yet to hear a bad word said against any of them. Money well spent by all accounts.

And no I dont work for them before anyone asks. :-)

Isn't there something in the charter about advertising?

What are tou talking about? Im not advertising. Its over. I done it and felt it was very useful. I was simply wondering what anyone else thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Sorry, dont get you mate. Charter? Advertising?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Sorry, dont get you mate. Charter? Advertising?

He thinks were advertising it because were talking anout it and the charter is like rules that we cant advertise on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1 theplough112

Just wondering can any1 inform me as to the importance of the army reserve come interview time??they have 10,00 members

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quent Q.

Anybody know exactly what the medical test entails?

Also, I don't have a clue what this means

"Vision:
    Vision must be not less than 6/36 in each eye, corrected to not less than 6/6 in one
    eye and 6/9 in the other. Normal night and colour vision are required. Applicants
    who have had, previous incisional or laser treatment to correct visual acuity are
    excluded from eligibility"

I wear glasses, do you think I'll be excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Just wondering for the sit ups if you lift your feet slightly off the ground is that automatic fail or do you have to redo that sit up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Quent Q. wrote: »
    Anybody know exactly what the medical test entails?

Also, I don't have a clue what this means

"Vision:
    Vision must be not less than 6/36 in each eye, corrected to not less than 6/6 in one
    eye and 6/9 in the other. Normal night and colour vision are required. Applicants
    who have had, previous incisional or laser treatment to correct visual acuity are
    excluded from eligibility"

I wear glasses, do you think I'll be excluded?

Probably not. 6/36 is pretty poor vision. The only way to know for sure is to ask your optician or wait for the test.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

alan86 wrote: »
    Just wondering for the sit ups if you lift your feet slightly off the ground is that automatic fail or do you have to redo that sit up.

They just won't count it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Turbine wrote: »
    They just won't count it.

Thanks lad i was told you fail straight away if your feet come off the ground and just wanted to clear it up

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

well did my fitness test today and passed. finished first in my group alot failing though during push ups and sit ups with only one or two left to finish of the 20. then 4 maybe 5 on the run. so the 10.000 that applied might be halfed by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

beco2010 wrote: »
    well did my fitness test today and passed. finished first in my group alot failing though during push ups and sit ups with only one or two left to finish of the 20. then 4 maybe 5 on the run. so the 10.000 that applied might be halfed by the end

Well done.

Have to say though for the rest of the guys that failed.... there are 4 things you know you will do a lot of in the army. run, pullups, situps and chinups.

For someone to apply to for the army and not be able to do a decent amount of all, even in a given time period is comical

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

twinytwo wrote: »
    Well done.

Have to say though for the rest of the guys that failed.... there are 4 things you know you will do a lot of in the army. run, pullups, situps and chinups.

For someone to apply to for the army and not be able to do a decent amount of all, even in a given time period is comical
    I agree but the thing is that most of the poeple who apply are just appling to of applied. its not a hard test but at the same time you have to do some bit of training, it just being timing yourself or doing the extra few push/sit ups to get trough. there not time wasters just not preparing for the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

there not time wasters just not preparing for the test

That's the definition of a time waster.

I agree but the thing is that most of the poeple who apply are just appling to of applied. its not a hard test but at the same time you have to do some bit of training, it just being timing yourself or doing the extra few push/sit ups to get trough. there not time wasters just not preparing for the test

Bet they'll go home, continue playing airsoft and shootemups on the PS3, and tell their mates, "I tried out for the army, but they told me they couldn't take people with prior military training....."

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

well done to everyone who has passed their test so far.

about 40% of applicants are not showing up for fitness test so do the math.

1200 apply lets say.

so 720 for test, 20% failure rate or so.

so 576 for apt test their must be at least 10% failure rate here but I'm guessing this bit.

so 518 into interveiw.

They are looking for 120 bodies, so that is a 23 %.

So you have a 1 in 4 chance at worst to get a place and if the apt test failure rate is higher you have even greater chance.

It really is a shame that so many people didnt show up and that so many who showed up didnt give it any thought or effort. A piss easy fitness that many couldnt even attempt, you who have to be worried about why in gods name they applied in the first place.

Well done to those who did it! And well done to those who at least showed up and tried their best! maybe next year.

well done to everyone who has passed their test so far.

about 40% of applicants are not showing up for fitness test so do the math.

1200 apply lets say.

so 720 for test, 20% failure rate or so.

so 576 for apt test their must be at least 10% failure rate here but I'm guessing this bit.

so 518 into interveiw.

They are looking for 120 bodies, so that is a 23 %.

So you have a 1 in 4 chance at worst to get a place and if the apt test failure rate is higher you have even greater chance.

It really is a shame that so many people didnt show up and that so many who showed up didnt give it any thought or effort. A piss easy fitness that many couldnt even attempt, you who have to be worried about why in gods name they applied in the first place.

Well done to those who did it! And well done to those who at least showed up and tried their best! maybe next year.

cheers but 10500 applied :P 450 places
    nco said 50% or more are a no show 5250
    apptitude test from talking my mate in army fail rate is 20 per cent
    down to 4200
    at best about a 1/9 chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Don't worry about what other people have to say.

Turn upto the test, remind yourself of how much you want it and beast yourself.

If you want it, you'll pass it.
    swimfast wrote: »
    thanks mate i have also applied to the army have my pt for that thurs still not 100% sure if i want to go the navy or army route. I want to do both :P

Go Army. ;)
    Just wondering can any1 inform me as to the importance of the army reserve come interview time??they have 10,00 members

It'll stand for you.

Firstly, they have a lot less than 10,000 members.

Secondly, as a serving member of the RDF you'd be showing that you've an interest in the DF, have experienced working in a military environment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

How many places are there in the army and navy, a friend last night who's in the RDF said there was like 380 for the army and the remainder was for the navy.

Would also be nice to know come interview time how many are left, at first 10k and only around 500 places made me think I don't really have a good chance of gettin in, but my chances of getting picked are looking better with all the wasters who applied and didn't show up or showed up and couldnt a few push ups :eek:

Advertisement