Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

There will be 480 places for the army. A sgt told me that the west will be getting 3 platoons (120 men) so I can assume that the east,south and dftc will also get 120 each. Also I haven't seen it being mentioned already but if you are overweight you might not even get a chance to attempt the fitness test. Quite a few in my group had high bmi's, were took into another room and failed the calliper test and were sent home before the fitness test even kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Came down with a bad cold a few days before the fitness test so I didn't go. Serves me right for walking home at 3 in the morning in only a t-shirt. :pac:

On the upside this might have been for the best. After lots of research being an air corp pilot may not have been what I was looking for (supposedly only flying 3 days a week??!). Finishing college, getting involved in a few sports, and will probably join as an army recruit in two years time. That or go British Army air corp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Came down with a bad cold a few days before the fitness test so I didn't go. Serves me right for walking home at 3 in the morning in only a t-shirt. :pac:

On the upside this might have been for the best. After lots of research being an air corp pilot may not have been what I was looking for (supposedly only flying 3 days a week??!). Finishing college, getting involved in a few sports, and will probably join as an army recruit in two years time. That or go British Army air corp.

Errr, a fair few RAF and Army Air Corp pilots fly less than that!

Anyone else hear the rumours about the psychometric tests being scrapped due to too many people failing to pass/turn up to the fitness tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

CIGANO wrote: »
    Anyone else hear the rumours about the psychometric tests being scrapped due to too many people failing to pass/turn up to the fitness tests.

Doubt that is true, but where did you hear it?

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    Doubt that is true, but where did you hear it?

People who did the fitness test today/friday are claiming on the df facebook page that the pti nco's told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

People who did the fitness test today/friday are claiming on the df facebook page that the pti nco's told them.

Again, I highly doubt that its true unless it comes from an official source. These lads may have been victim of whats referred to in military circles as a 'ballhop'.

There's new 'ballhops' started every day in the army just for the sheer craic of it, and the longer you are in the better you get at spotting them, and indeed starting them! :-)

For instance: We started one of the best ever in Chad. We put the word around that our christmas boxes weren't going to be released by Chadian customs unless the irish contingent paid the equivalent of €10,000 euros to release the container. The story went that army was refusing to pay the money and we, the troops on the ground would have to pay 25euro a man for our boxes. Needless to say there was uproar, and it spread around the camp like wildfire. Priceless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

this wouldnt be true as the navy have done psychometric tests for years as it cuts poeple from compition and with far less numbers joining them befor this was still done. with the amount going for the army it is also a great way to cut down the numbers for interview. it will also leave those who are physically fit and have fair intelligence. so i couldnt see it being scrapped

beco2010 wrote: »
    this wouldnt be true as the navy have done psychometric tests for years as it cuts poeple from compition and with far less numbers joining them befor this was still done. with the amount going for the army it is also a great way to cut down the numbers for interview. it will also leave those who are physically fit and have fair intelligence. so i couldnt see it being scrapped

Well I do see one possibility where it might be true if as many people are failing the fitness as is rumoured then it would be better financially to have the interviews an extra day or two longer to cram everyone in as opposed to the money spent renting out Croke parK/the o2 for 3 days for the psychometrics.

Although I don't believe the rumour 100% there is no smoke without fire and look on the bright side if the pysho's were planned to cut 50% before it might only have to cut 10% now.

Well I do see one possibility where it might be true if as many people are failing the fitness as is rumoured then it would be better financially to have the interviews an extra day or two longer to cram everyone in as opposed to the money spent renting out Croke parK/the o2 for 3 days for the psychometrics.

Although I don't believe the rumour 100% there is no smoke without fire and look on the bright side if the pysho's were planned to cut 50% before it might only have to cut 10% now.
    ya i agree with the savings and it would make sense that the cut wouldnt be the 50% and more like 10%. to tell the truth i would prefur if the test was scrapped but it wont. i dont see why they have to rent out croke park when there is perfectly good barracks where they could be held and save poeple traveling across the country for an hour test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The psychometric tests are culling even more of the timewasters than the fitness tests. They aren't going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

right just incase i do get to interview stage why would i want to chose army over navy and vice versa any help would be appreciated went 7:32 in army fitness test 10 secs faster than navy :)

swimfast wrote: »
    right just incase i do get to interview stage why would i want to chose army over navy and vice versa any help would be appreciated went 7:32 in army fitness test 10 secs faster than navy :)
    i take it you were not told that duel candidates only have to do the fitness test once and as one of the PT instructers were asking how fast does any one think they can run the mile and a half, I said i heard someone ran it in about 7.40 mins he knew noting of this. I ran the mile and a half in about the same as you but it is just put down as a pass noting more and come interview thats all it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

i take it you were not told that duel candidates only have to do the fitness test once and as one of the PT instructers were asking how fast does any one think they can run the mile and a half, I said i heard someone ran it in about 7.40 mins he knew noting of this. I ran the mile and a half in about the same as you but it is just put down as a pass noting more and come interview thats all it will be

i asked in navy and they said that naval fitness test can only be applied to the barracks in cork.
    i know it sucksa the way they dont take down your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It is a Pass/fail test.

You'll need your sprinting skills for recruit training.

Alan Shatter has just announced today that anyone under 18 years of age will not be accepted into the defence forces. I seen this coming but I didn't think they would bring it in mid competition I thought they would wait till the next recruitment drive.

Alan Shatter has just announced today that anyone under 18 years of age will not be accepted into the defence forces. I seen this coming but I didn't think they would bring it in mid competition I thought they would wait till the next recruitment drive.
    where did you find this statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

where did you find this statement

RTÉ tweeted it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I flew through the fitness test when I was 17 and wanted to leave school to join as I always wanted to be in the army unfortunately they didn't take me was told by my mate who is in the army that maybe I failed interview
    Anyone know why and can I still apply now I'm 23 year old and 3rd year mechanic
    Can I join as a mechanic?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublinhill16

Hi, I passed my fitness test and I have my psychometric test next. Am just wondering to anyone that has done the psychometric test what exactly does it consist of and what should I be doing to prepare/practice for it? I cant really find any great info on the site.
    Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hi, I passed my fitness test and I have my psychometric test next. Am just wondering to anyone that has done the psychometric test what exactly does it consist of and what should I be doing to prepare/practice for it? I cant really find any great info on the site.
    Thanks a mill!

Nobody has the it yet for General Service enlistment in this competition, it's centralised and going to be held over 3 days in June. Its on your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I flew through the fitness test when I was 17 and wanted to leave school to join as I always wanted to be in the army unfortunately they didn't take me was told by my mate who is in the army that maybe I failed interview
    Anyone know why and can I still apply now I'm 23 year old and 3rd year mechanic
    Can I join as a mechanic?
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's too late to apply now, you'll have to wait till the next time buddy.

Similar myself, went on work experience for 3 days when I was 16 from school, loved it. Applied again when I was 17 & finished the leaving cert.

Was offered a place though but decided to go working as a labourer for my uncle , fairly good money but then the resession came & construction died and here I'm left unemployed regretting I didn't listen to my grandfather at the time who tried his very best to convince me to take it, he actually use to predict the resession/downfall was gona hit the building trade hard But he was also in the army and use to think I'd be suited for it.

Young and naive , turned out to be the worst descion of my life so far. Hopefully this year , I can make it In and serve my country.

Out of Interest , does anyone know why the waiting list was scrapped from the last competion?

Cheers

I'm pretty sure it's too late to apply now, you'll have to wait till the next time buddy.

Similar myself, went on work experience for 3 days when I was 16 from school, loved it. Applied again when I was 17 & finished the leaving cert.

Was offered a place though but decided to go working as a labourer for my uncle , fairly good money but then the resession came & construction died and here I'm left unemployed regretting I didn't listen to my grandfather at the time who tried his very best to convince me to take it, he actually use to predict the resession/downfall was gona hit the building trade hard But he was also in the army and use to think I'd be suited for it.

Young and naive , turned out to be the worst descion of my life so far. Hopefully this year , I can make it In and serve my country.

Out of Interest , does anyone know why the waiting list was scrapped from the last competion?

Cheers

I can speculate, maybe they were worried that too many people on it would be ineligible (age, fitness levels declined) which is annoying because the Gardai still have a panel list waiting since 2008 and I was only half a platoon away from getting in last time.

Does anyone know the eyesight requirements for an army recruit in the PDF.

This is the RDF requirement.

Vision :- Unaided vision of not less that 6/36 in each eye, corrected to 6/6 in one eye, 6/9 in the other eye, and colour vision must be normal. The Ishihara Colour Vision Test must be passed. Where spectacles or contact lenses are necessary, the applicant should be in possession of spectacles/lenses when presenting themselves for medical examination.

And this is the requirements of an army cadet.

Vision must be not
    less than 6/18 in
    each eye, corrected
    to not less than 6/6
    in one eye and 6/9
    in the other.

So which one applies to an army recruit in the PDF.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

same entry requirements to best of my knowledge. makes no sense for it to be different. same jobs just different commitment level.

Morphéus wrote: »
    same entry requirements to best of my knowledge. makes no sense for it to be different. same jobs just different commitment level.

I dont understand your comment, which standard would apply to a PDF recruit because both requirements are official, the RDF standard is very low but the cadets standard seems a bit high compared to enlisted ranks in other countries or maybe that standard only applies to officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Somewhat random question, but whatever: In recruit training do you do chin-ups, pull-ups or a mix of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I dont understand your comment, which standard would apply to a PDF recruit because both requirements are official, the RDF standard is very low but the cadets standard seems a bit high compared to enlisted ranks in other countries or maybe that standard only applies to officers.

The reason being RDF or PDF the soldier still needs to be able to see, hear and walk without heart or lungs stopping. The test is universal across the DF. The PDF however have to walk harder more frequently. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dublinhill16

I seen that you need to pass an eye test in the PDF medical to get through, I've very good eyesight and don't wear glasses. But I've done the Ishihara Colour Vision test online and i couldn't see the numbers on most of the plates so think am colour blind (its runs in my family). Does that mean I fail the medical?

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    The reason being RDF or PDF the soldier still needs to be able to see, hear and walk without heart or lungs stopping. The test is universal across the DF. The PDF however have to walk harder more frequently. :D

I dont think you read my first post because if you did you would realise that the eyesight requirements are not universal across the DF, the Army cadet has to have quite a notch higher/better unaided vision than a RDF recruit and believe it or not a navy cadet is another notch higher than an army cadet and if you want to be a cadet in the air corp then you need perfect vision. What I want to know is which requirement between RDF recruit and Army Cadet applies to an army recruit in the PDF.

Advertisement