Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I seen that you need to pass an eye test in the PDF medical to get through, I've very good eyesight and don't wear glasses. But I've done the Ishihara Colour Vision test online and i couldn't see the numbers on most of the plates so think am colour blind (its runs in my family). Does that mean I fail the medical?

If you fail the test, then that's the end of the line, I'm afraid. Go ahead and do it, though. You might get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

any one get any emails regarding psychometric tests ye ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bobs ur uncle

yep i got my email phsycometrics basicly lyk an apptitude test shud be asy enuf except the time limit is like 12 mins for 39 questions for ritten comprehension and sumtin similar for the numeric, its the interview im worried about. i was chattin to a lad at the fittness test and he said he failed last time on the interview... said it was realy tough...

yep i got my email phsycometrics basicly lyk an apptitude test shud be asy enuf except the time limit is like 12 mins for 39 questions for ritten comprehension and sumtin similar for the numeric, its the interview im worried about. i was chattin to a lad at the fittness test and he said he failed last time on the interview... said it was realy tough...

oh really hows it tough?

CIGANO wrote: »
    Alan Shatter has just announced today that anyone under 18 years of age will not be accepted into the defence forces. I seen this coming but I didn't think they would bring it in mid competition I thought they would wait till the next recruitment drive.

DEFENCE FORCES RECRUITMENT 2012 NOTICE Candidate Information Notice Candidates who are currently under 17 years of age or candidates who are over 25 years of age will NOT be allowed to proceed any further in the current recruitment campaign. If you have any specific queries please direct them to Recruitment and Competitions Section at 01-804 2653/ 2654. Alternatively you can email recruitment@defenceforces.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

swimfast wrote: »
    DEFENCE FORCES RECRUITMENT 2012 NOTICE Candidate Information Notice Candidates who are currently under 17 years of age or candidates who are over 25 years of age will NOT be allowed to proceed any further in the current recruitment campaign. If you have any specific queries please direct them to Recruitment and Competitions Section at 01-804 2653/ 2654. Alternatively you can email recruitment@defenceforces.ie

It doesn't matter what the Defence Forces website says. The Cabinet decided that the recruitment age is to be raised. The Defence Forces don't have discretion in implementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Does anyone know where the next stage is being held??

Donny5 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what the Defence Forces website says. The Cabinet decided that the recruitment age is to be raised. The Defence Forces don't have discretion in implementing it.

but will they apply it to this competition or the next one ?

alley2020 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the next stage is being held??

i heard the rds or the o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

swimfast wrote: »
    but will they apply it to this competition or the next one ?

From what I understand if you are 17 at this moment you wont be booted out of the competition but you better hope you are 18 the day before you start recruit training or its a no go. The reason it is being implemented is not just because of the UN convention on child soldiers but also because if what I heard is true is that soldiers under 18 cant serve overseas, do cash in transit or even guard duty which makes them dead weight.

And I heard the O2 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Shocko1993

Did anyone get an e-mail to say that they passed the fitness test and that they made it to stage 3 the psychometric exam?

Shocko1993 wrote: »
    Did anyone get an e-mail to say that they passed the fitness test and that they made it to stage 3 the psychometric exam?

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

This thread Is gone very quiet. Assuming we pass the aptitude test, how are people fixed for the interview? What kind of skills/experience etc. do you think they are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

got my email today for the psychometric testing. f**king dublin so will have to go up the night befor

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Does any1 know any good books or websites to prepare for the test??

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20277.aspx

British Army has some practice tests on their website. After looking at the practice questions, I think the psychometric test will be pretty straight forward. I think the time limits will be the only problem

anyone any idea how many are left in general recruitment comp for army and navy.. and anyone know how many applied for a cadetship in the air corp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Romagnola

Is it possible to progress in the DF if you don't have a Leaving Cert ? if you did enter without it , could you do it while in the DF. Can you apply for a Cadetship later on if you enter as a general recruit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Romagnola wrote: »
    Is it possible to progress in the DF if you don't have a Leaving Cert ? if you did enter without it , could you do it while in the DF. Can you apply for a Cadetship later on if you enter as a general recruit ?

Yes you can progress without a LC.

Yes. you can do the LC while in the DF.....the DF does not run the course however. You will do it in civvy street.

You can apply for a Cadetship while serving in the DF, you will have to leave the DF if you get accepted and you will re-enlist as a Cadet.

OR

After a few years, get promoted to Cpl / Sgt and apply for the next Potential Officers Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnnyryan

Anyone travelling up to here find any cheap places to stay the night??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Dose anyone know how many are going through to the interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 5 2012jay

whats up everybody i was wondering did i fail the psychometric test because i only done half the numerical test done all the comprehending test im **** at that maths but shud i just start ticking randomly at the end would that of got me more points ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

2012jay wrote: »
    whats up everybody i was wondering did i fail the psychometric test because i only done half the numerical test done all the comprehending test im **** at that maths but shud i just start ticking randomly at the end would that of got me more points ?

Probably not.

Does your PC have full stops?

does it matter u can still read it no need to be cheeky is there. just askin a question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

2012jay wrote: »
    does it matter u can still read it no need to be cheeky is there. just askin a question

It just comes across as lazy or incompetent. If you do get into the DF and reach a rank that requires command and making out Operational Orders, it would be beneficial to use full stops.

You have to pass both the Numerical and Comprehending tests to progress to the interview. If you didn't finish all the Numerical questions, then you could be in trouble. Maybe if your lucky you could manage to squeeze through, if you got every single one of them correct.

Putting in random answers wouldn't make a difference because, there were five different options, and the chance's of getting a few right are slim.

When I did my Numerical, I managed to get 30 done on time, and when there was only a minute left I just filled in the one's I missed randomly aswell. I know I did enough to pass the aptitude, because I had experience of doing the Garda one before and I passed that.

If you don't get through then atleast you have this experience, and you'll be better prepared for the next one. What are you going for anyway? Army or Navy?

im goin for the army wbu? i thought they give you negative marking for the questions u get wrong so i only done half in the time. i dident even fill in the blanks i think im ****ed altogether.never done one of them tests befor

I'm going for the Navy. There's only 500 places for Army and 120 for the Navy, so even if you do pass the aptitude, your not certain of a place. Just wait and see when you get the results

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Anyone here in the army who can tell me approx how long it takes to become a 3star private from becoming 2star?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement