Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Is this something that has recently changed....?

What were the age limits originally...?

They put it up on the IDF website recently. It used be 26 for the navy but on the website it says 25 for the whole comp.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Yup, just checked and not_a_robot is right. I wouldn't put too much trust in the website, as it still has the lower age limit down as 17, when it's been raised to 18. To be 100%, call your manpower office.

Thank god you said that. Thanks for all the help lads. Panic over. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

alan86 wrote: »
    Thank god you said that. Thanks for all the help lads. Panic over. :D

Just to be 100%, call the Manpower Office and be sure.

I tryed but no answer. Sent the email so hpoefully will have the answer in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Best of luck with it Alan....

• Advertisement

On the IDF website it says anyone under 17 and over 25 wont be left go any further in the comp. I applyed for the navy and i am 26 next week dose that mean i am out.

Got a reply and they said it only applys to the army so happy days and i just hope i passed the phycometric test.

They have just changed it on the website

Great news, I hope it all works out for you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Hi i think i di well enough on the psychometric to get to interview what sort of questions will be asked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Does anybody know when the interviews are starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

In the Interview, from what I've read, will be points based. So every time you answer a question, you will get points for your answer.

There will be four different scenario questions, and you must give example's of when you used skills that are applicable to the role of a member of the defence forces. Like when you were part of a successful team and the skills you used. When you showed determination to achieve a task. When you showed leadership qualities, and when you made a balanced decision under pressure.

Also you will be asked about your reasons for wanting to join, and what you can bring to the job. They will probably look through your school/ college history and your qualifications. Your work history and the sports that you play, and your biggest achievements to date.

This stage will be when they separate the boys from the men, so those best prepared will have an advantage over people who are just showing up for the craic.

There will be some direct questions that must be prepared in advance. Like "why do you want to be a member of the defence force's" and "what sort of training will you be doing" and "what will you find most difficult if you do join"

From the email I got back in April it said the interviews start the 16th of July, so they must be changed if the results are only out on the 20th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

In the Interview, from what I've read, will be points based. So every time you answer a question, you will get points for your answer.

There will be four different scenario questions, and you must give example's of when you used skills that are applicable to the role of a member of the defence forces. Like when you were part of a successful team and the skills you used. When you showed determination to achieve a task. When you showed leadership qualities, and when you made a balanced decision under pressure.

Also you will be asked about your reasons for wanting to join, and what you can bring to the job. They will probably look through your school/ college history and your qualifications. Your work history and the sports that you play, and your biggest achievements to date.

This stage will be when they separate the boys from the men, so those best prepared will have an advantage over people who are just showing up for the craic.

There will be some direct questions that must be prepared in advance. Like "why do you want to be a member of the defence force's" and "what sort of training will you be doing" and "what will you find most difficult if you do join"

From the email I got back in April it said the interviews start the 16th of July, so they must be changed if the results are only out on the 20th

thanks a million

Got an interview for next thursday. Anyone els hear anything???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Got an interview for next thursday. Anyone els hear anything???
    Yeah Naval Service interview next Wednesday :)

Thats the job lad. My buddy is down there on wednesday aswell. I wonder how many are after getting through to the interview??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

So I wasn't successful because of a joke of a test, last year I was 60 odd on the waiting list and this year I don't even get a chance of an interview to at least show my skills.

How a maths and english test is arguably more important than the fitness test for a physical job is beyond laughable. I'm a qualified health and fitness instructor with various other fitness qualifications , you'd think you'd get a chance to show them rather than a lad who probably squeezed past a joke of a fitness test and so happens to be fairly fast at doing a few maths.

Such an incredibly stupid way of accepting people for interviews for a physical job.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

So I wasn't successful because of a joke of a test, .

have you been told or are you just assuming it because you havent received a email yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

How a maths and english test is arguably more important than the fitness test for a physical job is beyond laughable

The Defence Force is far from just a physical job. There are so many different areas in the force where fitness isn't primarily needed. Soldiers and Sailors need a basic level of English and Maths, that's the reason for an aptitude test, especially when you consider that there is no educational requirements. Once you join up your expected to push yourself and work your way up the ranks, fulfil your potential, and be the best you can be.
    I'm a qualified health and fitness instructor with various other fitness qualifications , you'd think you'd get a chance to show them rather than a lad who probably squeezed past a joke of a fitness test and so happens to be fairly fast at doing a few maths.

The fitness test was pass/fail. It doesn't matter what time you did it in as long as you passed it. Do you suggest that the fastest runners should be picked then? and not have a psychometric test? There's no point in having an extremely fit soldier that lack's the English and Maths necessary to be able to do the job competently.

Following instructions, being able to communicate effectively on radios and your fellow soldiers, and reading maps are just a few examples where an ordinary soldier needs basic English. Even when it comes to filing reports, and studying in the barracks during training. Illiterate people will not be able to do this.

The same example's can be used for Maths. When it comes to keeping track of ammunition, being able to calculate the distance from the enemy, being able to relay the exact longitude and latitude of an enemy also.

Once people get accepted in, they will be trained hard by there superiors to acquire the fitness that is necessary for the job. Everyone will then be on a similar level, and the most intelligent, mentally strong soldiers will be the one's that flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Steyr243Hunter

So is it people for the navy got interviews?
    I was told 20th for results? Can somebody confirm?

The fitness test was pass/fail. It doesn't matter what time you did it in as long as you passed it. Do you suggest that the fastest runners should be picked then? and not have a psychometric test? There's no point in having an extremely fit soldier that lack's the English and Maths necessary to be able to do the job competently.

the fastest runners? the fitness test should combine all components of fitness full stop. Its no good having a bare 20 press up and sit up test with a 2km run to evaluate someone's muscular and cv endurance. Im sure your going to tell me its made for the average civilian but at the end of the day what the army is clearly saying is there's room for lads with no health and fitness backround who happen to be quick at doing maths? how can they even evaluate someone's character without properly interviewing them and learning their actual backround?

its just as easy to sharpen up somebodys math and english skills as it is to build one's fitness, so you cant preach any different because if maths and english were as relevant as health and fitness in the army surely it would be emphasized as much through teaching the same way training is to improve/maintain fitness. Whats happening here is not fair and im not just saying it because i didnt get an interview this year either.
    Illiterate people will not be able to do this.

i agree but failing to complete all the questions is what i know personally cost me here, it doesn't make one illiterate. It makes it totally unfair that preference is given to the lads who completed more questions in the time given while if i done 7 or 8 minutes odd in the 2km run it wouldn't stand for me against someone who done it in 10 minutes !. There's no logic behind having a pass or fail fitness test and this excuse of a test to drop people in which they didnt even tell us how they were going to mark it.:confused:

like i said ,60 odd on the waiting list last year out of a few thousand and this year i don't even get an interview because of what I know was for not completing enough questions.

friday the 13th too:eek:, I taught they were letting people know on the 20th. Il move onto the british army from here hopefully they'l give me the privilege of an interview and a decent fitness test to prove my worth and not drop someone over how fast they complete this test. Everything should of been combined for people to get in, like i said this current system of employment for the Irish defense force is laughable.

no i was the army, didnt get it. taught it was the 20th myself, nice friday the 13th present eh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

QUOTE]

I agree with some of what you say. I have said befor every thing should be taken into acount.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

no i was the army, didnt get it. taught it was the 20th myself, nice friday the 13th present eh :rolleyes:

What centre did u apply for??

alley2020 wrote: »

cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

alley2020 wrote: »

cork.
    Did you get an email saying you didn't get it or just not get an email yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Steyr243Hunter

Bit of a strong reaction there MUFCBoy1999, wait and see you may have got through to next round.

Your absolutely right as regards fitness. A BMI test...Jeepers
    Times of course should be an advantage.
    Strength wise 20 push ups???If your serious about the army I would have thought this would have been part of normal warm up in a strength program.

I would have thought the likes of dead lift, overhead press, squat, bench, pull ups- should all be considered. Even to have very basic level requirement. I seen a fire brigade fitness test in New Zealand that required good levels of strength that is more up to date with modern practice. (through google very easily found)

I think this comes down to supply and demand. Most likely the "tried and tested'' method to reduce numbers was a psychometric test.
    But in fairness there was courses running in preparation for this which I would imagine people who thought they may struggle would have attended along with the people ensuring to do everything they could do to get through. Along with good preparation I personally found the test at a basic level, only for time which good preparation would have helped.

I haven't heard anything back yet (applied for regular army) but would be very disappointed if I didn't get to the next stage.

@MUFCboy1999: Did you get an e-mail saying you hadn't been successful...?

A young lad I know applied for the army and the navy, he didn't finish either of the sections of the psych tests and he's just been called for an interview with the navy....

It does sound a little unfair if you've been ruled out on the basis of this test if you have previously been on the waiting list.

I know I'm reacting a bit strong here lads but I'm extremely pis*ed at this, probably would of been a better idea to post when I calmed down a bit.

I got the email today saying I wasnt successful in my application etc. I wouldn't mind but Iv a bit of history with the army, i was offered a place when I was 17 and turned it down which proved to be my biggest mistake in life to date lol and like I said I was high up on the waiting list last year so I do feel a bit hard done by alright as in terms of not even getting an interview, tbh I just can't understand it.

I'm not a brain box by any means but I can safely say out of the questions I answered which were 20 odd out of 40 (i think)in both English and math were im pretty sure right, i didn't want to rush the questions and we were told don't worry if you don't get them all finished. I put a lot of effort into prep for this test, especially on the math too so I didn't just go in for the sake of it.

Surely I'm not the only one who reviewed an email today ? The army said the 20th , why would I get it today. I hope this is a sick friday the 13th joke :D

Did you apply for the navy as well as the army?
    What did the e-mail say and who sent it?

Did you apply for the navy as well as the army?
    What did the e-mail say and who sent it?

No I didn't apply for the navy as it's not what I want to do. The manpower office , Collins barracks cork sent the email. Here it is, I can't qoute it as I'm on the phone.

Dear ( just deleted my name )

I wish to thank you for your application for 2012 General Service - Cork Interview Centre. I would like to express my regret that your application was not successful on this occasion.

If competitions for 2012 General Service - Cork Interview Centre are advertised in the future, you may re-apply provided that you satisfy the age, height, educational and other conditions.

Regards

Manpower Office
    1 Southern Bde
    Collins Bks
    Cork

• Advertisement

Maybe it is a wind-up, the lad I know told me he wasn't expecting to hear from the army until next week some time, the e-mail he got from the navy was actually from a person not a generic address, a lady if I'm not mistaken....

I would find it a little bit worrying if people were being discarded on the basis of their ability or otherwise to answer a few multi-choice English and Maths questions.
    I'd feel safer in the knowledge that the people who are sworn to defend me are chosen on the basis that they might be more able to 'look after themselves' if it all kicks off, than on how quick they can finish the crossword and Sudoko puzzles....

Advertisement