Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Best of luck with the Navy lads.

Its a great career,and believe me you wont be worked to hard lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Maybe it is a wind-up, the lad I know told me he wasn't expecting to hear from the army until next week some time, the e-mail he got from the navy was actually from a person not a generic address, a lady if I'm not mistaken....

I would find it a little bit worrying if people were being discarded on the basis of their ability or otherwise to answer a few multi-choice English and Maths questions.
    I'd feel safer in the knowledge that the people who are sworn to defend me are chosen on the basis that they might be more able to 'look after themselves' if it all kicks off, than on how quick they can finish the crossword and Sudoko puzzles....

My point exactly. Ye though hopefully a wind up but lets be honest it's more than likely not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

the fastest runners? the fitness test should combine all components of fitness full stop. Its no good having a bare 20 press up and sit up test with a 2km run to evaluate someone's muscular and cv endurance. Im sure your going to tell me its made for the average civilian but at the end of the day what the army is clearly saying is there's room for lads with no health and fitness backround who happen to be quick at doing maths? how can they even evaluate someone's character without properly interviewing them and learning their actual backround?

Just because you have a health and fitness background, it doesn't mean everybody must. As I said before, everybody will be brought to the same level fitness-wise through training, so it doesn't matter your level you are at when you join. Its not only quick at doing Maths, its being able to work under then pressure of the time limit. Maths is a necessity as there are no formal educational requirements. Over 10,000 people applied. They can't interview everybody.
    its just as easy to sharpen up somebodys math and english skills as it is to build one's fitness, so you cant preach any different because if maths and english were as relevant as health and fitness in the army surely it would be emphasized as much through teaching the same way training is to improve/maintain fitness. Whats happening here is not fair and im not just saying it because i didnt get an interview this year either.

The psychometric test was needed to have a certain level of intelligence in the army. It is a necessity. Its is just as important as the fitness test. You may think the fitness test was easy and wasn't hard enough, well I think the same of the psychometric test. I thought it was way to easy, with its junior cert maths, and the English test was laughable.

If you know anything about the training in the army you'd know that the first nine weeks are all about physical fitness. The next eight weeks are not.
    There's no logic behind having a pass or fail fitness test.

Why not? This makes no sense.
    It makes it totally unfair that preference is given to the lads who completed more questions in the time given while if i done 7 or 8 minutes odd in the 2km run it wouldn't stand for me against someone who done it in 10 minutes

Preference isn't given to these lads. The people that progress are the ones that got the most questions correct, not whoever answered the most. The fitness test and psychometric test are as important as each other. Why should it stand for you? its the defence forces, not the Olympics. It doesn't matter how well you did as long as you pass, as with the Psychometric test where it doesn't matter how well you did as long as you pass. When it gets to the interview, they don't care how well you did in either of these.
    Il move onto the british army from here hopefully they'l give me the privilege of an interview and a decent fitness test to prove my worth and not drop someone over how fast they complete this test. Everything should of been combined for people to get in, like i said this current system of employment for the Irish defense force is laughable.

Good luck with the British Army. They still have a aptitude test that's very similar to the Irish system. From what I've seen its even harder. There are a couple of practice questions on there website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

How a maths and english test is arguably more important than the fitness test for a physical job is beyond laughable. I'm a qualified health and fitness instructor with various other fitness qualifications , you'd think you'd get a chance to show them rather than a lad who probably squeezed past a joke of a fitness test and so happens to be fairly fast at doing a few maths.

Such an incredibly stupid way of accepting people for interviews for a physical job.

With that entitled attitude, I'd happily say the DF are better off without you. Even the infantry, while obviously a physical job, isn't ditch digging. You need to be smart enough to do an increasing technical job, and when they have so many candidates, it would be foolish to take those who can't pass basic psychometric tests.

As for your health and fitness qualifications, outside the interview, they couldn't care less about them. The DF have their own PTIs and don't recognise your civvi quals. As for being fitter, that's simply not important, because everyone brought in has to be brought up to standard, and they have to start with the lowest common denominator. If you're super fit, it'll make a good impression in the interview (if you get that far) and it'll make your life during training worlds easier, but it can't pass psychometric tests for you, and it can't make you smart enough to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

Donny5 wrote: »
    , it would be foolish to take those who can't pass basic psychometric tests.

. The DF have their own PTIs and don't recognise your civvi quals. .
    psychometric test is not pass and fail. as someone has said already on this thread how they set the pass rate. they take the top and bottom find the average and then they decide what number is the pass. so if you have a few pouple who passed by completing all the questions and the rest completing over half they find the average you could be below or above but still of done well by completing over half. would't this mean you have the intelligence to be part of the PDF. I also thought that even though the DF have there own PTIs they still go trough the same process and get the same qualification as a civ would which is from University of Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Got an email saying ive an interview, next friday. Cant even go as ive been really sick the past few weeks with headaches and ringing in my ears that wont go away.

I guess i passed the english and maths test but i left out at least 6 questions in the english and guessed the last 6 or so in the maths as i was running out of time. Gutted i got this far and cant go to the interview but i dont think i would of impressed in the interview room amyway, im not the most confident and would probably be stuck for words on some of the questions. :(

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    Got an email saying ive an interview, next friday. Cant even go as ive been really sick the past few weeks with headaches and ringing in my ears that wont go away.

I guess i passed the english and maths test but i left out at least 6 questions in the english and guessed the last 6 or so in the maths as i was running out of time. Gutted i got this far and cant go to the interview but i dont think i would of impressed in the interview room amyway, im not the most confident and would probably be stuck for words on some of the questions. :(
    dont give up yet if its friday then you still have time. it would be better knowing that you didnt impress then not knowing if you could of

Im really not well enough to even go to the interview tbh and ive to be somewhere else friday morning aswell.

But what about people who didnt pass the psychometric tests did they get e-mails saying they didnt pass?? How well did they think they done in the tests, any ideas what score you had to get to pass that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Did anyone get an interview for Athlone yet?

With that entitled attitude, I'd happily say the DF are better off without you. Even the infantry, while obviously a physical job, isn't ditch digging. You need to be smart enough to do an increasing technical job, and when they have so many candidates, it would be foolish to take those who can't pass basic psychometric tests.

As for your health and fitness qualifications, outside the interview, they couldn't care less about them. The DF have their own PTIs and don't recognise your civvi quals. As for being fitter, that's simply not important, because everyone brought in has to be brought up to standard, and they have to start with the lowest common denominator. If you're super fit, it'll make a good impression in the interview (if you get that far) and it'll make your life during training worlds easier, but it can't pass psychometric tests for you, and it can't make you smart enough to do the job.

A bit of sense before you post wouldn't go a stray. beco2010 hit the nail on the head. If You think people are not smart enough based on passing or failing this test by not completing all the questions your an idiot. This test was an excuse to drop people, the only problem with it is they could potentially be eliminating a good candidate for a solider.

like i said 60 odd on the waiting list last year out of another few thousand really puts your little theory on defense force being better of without me as a load rubbish.
    Cant even go as ive been really sick the past few weeks with headaches and ringing in my ears that wont go away.

im not getting on to you mate but seriously I done the fitness test with or little or no prep as i was only of crutches a while after breaking my leg. Go for the interview, id break my leg again for one. Even if your sick push through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

like i said 60 odd on the waiting list last year out of another few thousand really puts your little theory on defense force being better of without me as a load rubbish.

Placing 60 on the waiting list means they found two full platoons who they would prefer to recruit before you, even if every one of their first choices dropped out of the competition. I wouldn't boast about that. I think you're going to have to take a long hard look at yourself before your next application. The Mé Feiner attitude won't go down any better over the water than it will here.

Placing 60 on the waiting list means they found two full platoons who they would prefer to recruit before you, even if every one of their first choices dropped out of the competition. I wouldn't boast about that. I think you're going to have to take a long hard look at yourself before you're next application. The Mé Feiner attitude won't go down any better over the water than it will here.

I'm not bragging about it , I'm mainly using it as a point to prove how bad the current employment system is in the Irish defence force.

one year your in the top 100 out of what was rumored to be near 10'000 and the following year your not even worthy of an interview. My attitude here is one of someone that is extremely piss*d off, this is my last year by the time next year rolls around il be too old. Stung because I didn't complete enough questions when the army says clearly not to worry if you don't finish them all.

Thats unfortunate mufcboy that you didnt get an interview, but i didnt finish all the questions either and i still got an interview. I left out 2 pages ( 6 questions ) in the english because i stupidly didnt time myself.

forget i ever said anything lads, i shoudnt be posting when im hot headed. good luck to everyone else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Date for the Army interview got today.. next week will be no joke! Best of luck to everyone who got through.

next week will be no joke! Best of luck to everyone who got through.
    +1 for this

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Date for the Army interview got today.. next week will be no joke! Best of luck to everyone who got through.
    What centre u apply for??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbob92345

Got my interview for cork on the 26th for the army . Delighted !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Merchant10

Any idea how many canditates are left in the competition for interviews in both Army and Navy lads+lassies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Brad Pittman

Any idea how many canditates are left in the competition for interviews in both Army and Navy lads+lassies?

Nobody knows for sure. Forget about everybody else. Just try your best and with a bit of luck you'll get in. In September you could be in the DF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Merchant10

Nobody knows for sure. Forget about everybody else. Just try your best and with a bit of luck you'll get in. In September you could be in the DF

Cheers mate, hopefully you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

Hi
    I got my interview for both army and navy :) is this final stage in the competition ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

swimfast wrote: »
    Hi
    I got my interview for both army and navy :) is this final stage in the competition ?

No you must also pass the medical. which area of army you apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

alley2020 wrote: »
    Did anyone get an interview for Athlone yet?

This?

Hearrd off one person this morning that he got an interview but was fairly confused because they said results will be out on the 20th.

I thought I did extremely well in the phycometric test and I passed the fitness test anyway but I havnt heard anything.Does it matter than I have not heard anything or will I recieve an email either way and should I only get worried when i actually get a rejection email.

Also to the people complaining about the phycometric test.I think it is extremely fair.Especially in recession times etc. why not take someone who is more intelligent than the other .

Any aul eejit could get fit and pass the fitness test but would you rather have a fit eejit in the army or a relatively smart fit fella in there.Not trying to offend as people have prob been just unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hey everyone quick question. I'm going in as a recruit. I missed the cadets recruiting as the website was down when I went to apply and I didn't realise they extended the deadline because of this till it was too late. Anyway I've heard that going in as a general recruit there's a cap on the rank you can get too while going in as a cadet lets you work your way all the way through the ranks. Is this true?

Also can you go for the cadets if you're already enlisted as a general recruit after passing through training and all?

No you must also pass the medical. which area of army you apply for?

hi
    i had applied for the dublin centre

peterc1991 wrote: »
    This?

Hearrd off one person this morning that he got an interview but was fairly confused because they said results will be out on the 20th.

I thought I did extremely well in the phycometric test and I passed the fitness test anyway but I havnt heard anything.Does it matter than I have not heard anything or will I recieve an email either way and should I only get worried when i actually get a rejection email.

Also to the people complaining about the phycometric test.I think it is extremely fair.Especially in recession times etc. why not take someone who is more intelligent than the other .

Any aul eejit could get fit and pass the fitness test but would you rather have a fit eejit in the army or a relatively smart fit fella in there.Not trying to offend as people have prob been just unlucky

I was talking to someone high up in the army and he said these are not just intelligent test it test your ability to work under pressure and how quickly and effitently you can work thats whjy the qs are easy
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Hey everyone quick question. I'm going in as a recruit. I missed the cadets recruiting as the website was down when I went to apply and I didn't realise they extended the deadline because of this till it was too late. Anyway I've heard that going in as a general recruit there's a cap on the rank you can get too while going in as a cadet lets you work your way all the way through the ranks. Is this true?

Also can you go for the cadets if you're already enlisted as a general recruit after passing through training and all?

i dont know about rank but yes you can apply for cadets

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

Blacktie. wrote: »

If you are a private/nco who applies and gets through to the cadets you can theoretically make it all the way to LT General (chief of staff). But if you are a nco who applies and gets through to whats called a potential officers course then the highest you can go is commandant. Without a potential officers course the highest an enlisted man can go is sergeant major.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mop93

Interview for friday 20th In dublin :-) So happy but so nervous any tips lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Hey guys iv my interview tomorrow little worried now that it is becoming reality.

Can I ask if anyone has any ideas of questions as the info given with the email is really vague.

Also dose any one know what the salary for the navy and army is as i got stick from my mates saying its better to be on the dole that on the DF,

Thanks for your help.

Also for that guy who said he cant make it to the interview cause he is sick.

Mate iv two ear infections at the moment not pleasant but by no means the worst i can bearly hear at the moment and you better believe il be there tomorrow.If you let this go I do believe you will regret it down the line of life and have a little consideration for those people who wanted this so bad and would give there arm for an interview you kinda owe it to them to at least sit the interview.

Advertisement